• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Silence Whispered World 2

Total Posts: 197

Joined 2015-05-25

PM

Is that becoming a trend, simplifying adventure games to the point of removing the inventory? I’m VERY disappointed by that, especially considering how much I liked the first game. (and how much I dislike the modern TellTale games)

But it looks like we’re in the minority now. People just want to experience a nice story with nice visuals and don’t care for very limited interaction/possibilities. That’s what they call “adventure” now.

French creator & solo developer of “BROK the InvestiGator” (coming soon) and “Demetrios” (Available on PC, iOS, Android, PS4, Xbox One, PS Vita and Nintendo Switch)

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

COWCAT - 17 November 2016 04:11 AM

Is that becoming a trend, simplifying adventure games to the point of removing the inventory? I’m VERY disappointed by that, especially considering how much I liked the first game. (and how much I dislike the modern TellTale games)

Did you like the first game because of the inventory puzzles? I thought they were definitely one of the weakest aspects of the game.

Joined 2015-05-25

PM

Aside from one very annoying puzzle (the sliding puzzle…I hate those), yes, I remember enjoying them in the first game.

In any case, puzzles are meant to let the player think and getting involved, as well as varying the gameplay. When they’re too easy, you don’t even have to think, just click on the very few interaction spots to let the game play by itself.

Even Visual Novels have more gameplay than the TellTale games, at least the choices have a real impact. I’m just sad they seem to copy the same bland formula. (hopefully I’m wrong and it’s much better)

French creator & solo developer of “BROK the InvestiGator” (coming soon) and “Demetrios” (Available on PC, iOS, Android, PS4, Xbox One, PS Vita and Nintendo Switch)

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

For the record I thought the Spot puzzles were good, but they aren’t what I would call inventory puzzles.

But just because the inventory is gone doesn’t mean puzzling has gone. Plenty of adventures lack an extensive inventory and have very challenging puzzles.

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

I’m just at the beginning of the game, I guess, but what I can see so far is a brilliant and facinating game. Renie is as cute as any one can imagine. The only downside is the time of transitions - 15 to 20 seconds is an eternity, they could do better than that.

Total Posts: 81

Joined 2013-09-05

PM

COWCAT - 17 November 2016 04:11 AM

I, too, am very much concerned that this is a direction Daedalic may be taking, in response to the popularity ($$$) of TellTale games. I think many modern adventure games have become overly simplified for the casual player, with hotspot highlighters and hint systems (I’m glad with Silence they’ve made it an option not to view hints), because if a player can’t finish your game, they leave bad reviews and won’t purchase your next one.
I bought Silence anyway, because Daedalic have yet to dissapoint me, I hope I’m pleasantly surprised. I long for the brain-scratching puzzle-filled days of yore. I’m really looking forward to Thimbleweed Park to fill that need again!

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

I just finished the game and, to my disapointment, when I thought that I reached the midlle of it, it was in fact the end. Less than 4 hours to complete. That is not a size for an adventure game, is more like a casual game. It is the only thing that I’m disapointed with it: too short.

Joined 2015-05-25

PM

I think many modern adventure games have become overly simplified for the casual player, with hotspot highlighters and hint systems (I’m glad with Silence they’ve made it an option not to view hints)

Well I don’t mind hint system and highlighters, as long as they’re optional Smile (that’s how I’ve implemented them in my own game, and everyone liked that)

This has also something to do with putting a game on consoles.

When I submitted Demetrios to ID@Xbox (for Xbox One), they turned it down because “it feels too much like a PC game” (even though I had implemented gamepad controls)

Fortunately Sony didn’t say anything and I was able to port it on the Vita. And so far no one is complaining, they love the controls and the inventory puzzles! But yes, there’s a general thinking that “you shouldn’t do real P&C on consoles” for some reason. (because of the controller? just like “you shouldn’t do FPS on consoles”, right?...)

Sorry for the off-topic… I still think Silence is a great game considering the reviews, just a tad disappointed. Fortunately I know indies will still be making “regular” adventure games Smile There are still many ways to make them different and unique, without having to simplify or remove puzzles.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

iv now past the point where the beta ended after you find out this is renie’s world not noahs. Its really not a bad game. I wish they hadnt adopted qte’s and simple puzzles as the main mechanics, but its still got a fun story and atmosphere.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Ive played the PS4 for about 2 hours. It’s really beatiful, characters and backgrounds. The music from the first game continues to be great. I don’t think it has that many QTEs, only the occasional balance thing and button mashing. Nothing like Telltale stuff. However I’m not liking the lack of inventory, makes the player going back and forth between screens too much.

Total Posts: 86

Joined 2013-03-10

PM

the game for me was beautiful to look at but overall not my kind of game.It was a strangely lacking world with very few characters in it.The qte and balancing acts did not have the same effect for me as walking around with my big inventory bag and wondering where and when they would come in useful.I will not be buying anymore daedalic games if this is the path they are going down.It saddens me to say that as they have been my favourite modern adventure game creators by far.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

mo54 - 19 November 2016 12:56 PM

It saddens me to say that as they have been my favourite modern adventure game creators by far.

so daedalic new face have shown its ugliness? hmmm
i havent played it but i do believe what i hear/read *here*, beside the word QTE is enough, still i am gonna play it, but not rushed at all Frown

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

I just finished it. I dont regret playing it. Its a very pretty game, and its an interesting continuation on the story from the first game.
But would this have been a better game more in the style of the first? Yes. Very much, yes. Its also somewhat sadly short, about 5 hours total. All in all it does not lower my opinion of daedalic though i would like to see them not go more in the direction of games like this and fire.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

They currently have at least 2 adventures in development. State of Mind seems like a more modern take but Devil’s Men looks like a traditional adventure and they released Doomsday not that long ago so it’s too soon to say they ditched classic gameplay.

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Yep im not holding it against them. Deponia doomsday was excellent, and is a perfect example why “dont fix what isnt broken” is a good rule to have. (of course theres always exceptions, like the witcher series where they fix what isnt broken with every game and somehow end up with a fantastic product anyway.) But obviously they were hoping to use silence as a gateway into the mainstream.. i just dont see that happening.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top