• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #37: J.U.L.I.A.: Among the Stars

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2005-08-01

PM

Jabod - 06 January 2016 02:46 PM

At this point not only can’t we get into the men’s dorm but also we couldn’t get into the server room. The first was because of a damaged door and the second we didn’t have the door code. Why couldn’t I just cut my way in instead of having to find the door code. It’s what any good logical thinking Mobot would have done Tongue

Because if you paid closer attention, the door to male dorm is damaged by a huge blast so it’s easier to get inside Smile

Someday You\‘ll return, J.U.L.I.A.: Among the Stars, Serena, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A.: Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

Total Posts: 317

Joined 2008-07-14

PM

I’m so happy this game is getting a playthrough! I loved the original and loved Among the Stars even more. I pretty much loved all of the additions and changes.

Favorite Adventure Games-Lost Crown, Longest Journey, Dark Fall 1&2, Barrow Hill, Black Mirror, Blackwell games, Riven, Myst
Favorite Other Games-Kings Bounty, FTL
Currently Playing-Barrow Hill:The Dark Path
Looking Forward To-Last Crown/Braken Tor

Joined 2005-08-01

PM

Fantasysci5 - 06 January 2016 03:15 PM

I’m so happy this game is getting a playthrough! I loved the original and loved Among the Stars even more. I pretty much loved all of the additions and changes.

Yes! I am having a great time seeing how you all enjoy the game. You don’t know how much this means to me and how much it motivates me to work on our new game!

Someday You\‘ll return, J.U.L.I.A.: Among the Stars, Serena, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A.: Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

As we have seen Jan did drop the timing for this puzzle but, in doing so, it became very easy which was a shame. This is no criticism BTW as I don’t see how else he could have done it.

Despite being “very easy” Shifty Eyed it still gave me quite a bit of trouble!

metamorphium - 06 January 2016 03:08 PM

At this point not only can’t we get into the men’s dorm but also we couldn’t get into the server room. The first was because of a damaged door and the second we didn’t have the door code. Why couldn’t I just cut my way in instead of having to find the door code. It’s what any good logical thinking Mobot would have done Tongue

Because if you paid closer attention, the door to male dorm is damaged by a huge blast so it’s easier to get inside Smile

That was also my thought, a fully functionally door might be protected by a force field or something, that prevents it from being force open with a laser cutter. Tongue

Noddy - 05 January 2016 04:04 AM
Noddy - 21 December 2015 05:22 AM

I’m also loving the upgrade constructions

I’m changing my mind - the latest one is killing me!  Cry

There is actually some very simply methodology that makes them much easier to solve:

The whole objective is to use as few simple connectors as possible. So if you have one line splitting into two, you want that to happen as far to the right as possible, and if you have two lines converging into one, you want that to happen as far to the left as possible.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

metamorphium - 06 January 2016 03:08 PM

I was fully aware of the damage Jan but I do think that it would have made sense for Rachel to get Mobot to try to cut his way into the server room and to have some feedback along the lines of “this door is too strong for my cutter to work”.
It’s a small point I know and I’m a pedantic bugger at the best of times Grin

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Iznogood - 06 January 2016 03:25 PM

As we have seen Jan did drop the timing for this puzzle but, in doing so, it became very easy which was a shame. This is no criticism BTW as I don’t see how else he could have done it.

Despite being “very easy” Shifty Eyed it still gave me quite a bit of trouble!

I hate to think what you made of the original Izno! Drove me to distraction. Ended up, like many apparently, saving the game as I made progress along the “success” bar.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2005-08-01

PM

Jabod - 06 January 2016 04:10 PM

It’s a small point I know and I’m a pedantic bugger at the best of times Grin

Actually I like this feedback. It’s always interesting to hear it “from the other side”. I’ve spent a lot of time trying to make these things at least a little bit believable and it’s always refreshing to see when it works and when it doesn’t as it kind of enhances my field of view on this. You have no idea how many pages of nonsense went to a garbage can just because of the fact that it wouldn’t make any sense.

But just for the sake of fun, you certainly didn’t take into consideration the most important point! Nitrogen doesn’t explode ... But when it does, it does unforeseen things to a door ...  Grin

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Iznogood - 06 January 2016 03:08 PM

It might even be possible to explain everything without the need for a different alien species. Remember that once upon a time, the Ambrosians were far more technological advances then they are now, so the benevolent alien species, could simply be Ambrosians that had parted from the rest of the species, lived on a different planet and evolved in a different direction.

I hadn’t thought of that option. I quite like it!

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 129

Joined 2007-05-15

PM

I got to the check-point the day we were given the go ahead and now I wish I’d typed up my thoughts at the time.

Ambrosia is a very pretty planet.  I enjoyed the map making and meeting the beings.  They’re absolutely adorable!!!

Like some others, I initially had a bit of trouble with the translation puzzle, but after a few attempts, I then noticed the pattern and all of a sudden it was simple!  In a way, the puzzle seemed to be working out how the puzzle worked!  LOL!

I really had trouble with the last two connectors too.  I’d put it together and thought it should work since all the points were connected but no good.  I finally gave up and looked up the solution.  Thank you for your explanation on what the goal is for those puzzles Izno.  I couldn’t work out what I was doing wrong and now I understand!  I won’t cheat anymore. :p

I think the first planet is my favourite so far but I’ve enjoyed them all as a whole.

My thoughts on the culprit - I agree that it is J.U.L.I.A.  I believe that she wrongly put Rachel into stasis and only set her free either because of her amnesia (not remembering that she put her into stasis in the first place) or because she requires Rachel’s help for her own evil-doings.  Plus she needed SOMEONE to put all the fires out. Tongue

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Part 3: Zenobia & Elpis

As some of you might have guesses it is now time to give Mobot a bath, whether he wants one or not Wink
So onwards toward the watery planet of Zenobia!

And as we all know, what is better after being soaking wet than to expose yourself to subzero temperatures, so we might as well also pay a visit to the planet Elpis, or rather its moon Elpis Alpha.

Once again you are also welcome to revisit any of the planets we have already been to, but you are under no circumstances allowed to land on Hermes.

With Christmas and the New Year behind us, I think it should also be safe to go back to a one week schedule, so you have until Thursday the 14 of January to complete this part.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I got to the checkpoint as well. It was interesting to see Miss Robinson “sacrificed” by the crazy crew member after she wrote that she has a plan to save them. I wonder what plan did she have in mind.

I also struggled with the alien translation puzzle at first, trying to approach it by deciphering every single symbol by trial and error to a word. But then I saw that some of these symbols mean different things when reset which shot that theory. The solution was much simpler, though in context, i am not sure i understand how visually matching them is the equivalent of deciphering an alien language.

Ambrosia was beautiful, and it is interesting to see if we get to meet that other alien race that Izno talked about. I still think that Tim’s theory that another alien race nuked Xenophon and punished the Ambrosians is the most likely theory but we’ll see.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

to expose yourself to subzero temperatures, so we might as well also pay a visit to the planet Elpis, or rather its moon Elpis Alpha.

Oh…...........fun! I’ll get started right now - this sounds GREAT!

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

SoccerDude28 - 07 January 2016 05:21 PM

I got to the checkpoint as well. It was interesting to see Miss Robinson “sacrificed” by the crazy crew member after she wrote that she has a plan to save them. I wonder what plan did she have in mind.

Good point, I actually didn’t notice that myself.
I obviously remembered Miss Robinson and her plan to save everybody, and also read about Roger Callan going crazy and killing “her”, but somehow I never connected those two dots Meh I guess now we will newer know what her brilliant plan was.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I just noticed that the planet on the main menu changes, based on where you’re at in the game. A really nice touch, imo. Lovely detail. Thumbs Up

I played a bit of the Zenobia part.
Got a “pacifist” achievement for throwing the stranded turtlefish(?) back into the ocean. What do you get for the other options?

Had some difficulties inside the submarine since the hotspot revealer doesn’t work there (for obvious reasons). It took me three complete scans before I found the lever to the door on the right, and it took me a fourth scan to find the lever to the door on the left.
That bioluminescent creature is absolutely wonderfully designed, but seeing it come straight at you is pretty scary. Something about those gaping three-part mouths is terrifying beyond belief. Tongue

I absolutely LOVED the decryption puzzle after that. It’s pretty easy, but I just love that stuff.
In fact, puzzle design has been top notch the entire game!

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Either I overlooked something on Zenobia and Elpis Alpha, or there’s something left to do on another planet, or this was just a pretty short section. Tongue

I’ve solved a pretty difficult Mind-o-Matic after decrypting that message on Zenobia, and then I went to Elpis Alpha, where there’s really little to do (although what IS there sheds some interesting light on Andrew Lark and our own cryo-emprisonment. Raises more questions than it answers, though. Let’s hope we find some answers on Hermes after next Thursday.

As an aside, I thought that the sample of water we obtained on Elpis Alpha would somehow be able to turn the purple lake back to normal due to its properties, but alas, no such option on Ambrosia.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top