• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #37: J.U.L.I.A.: Among the Stars

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

metamorphium - 14 December 2015 06:56 AM

unless nitrogen mysteriously explodes (no it doesn’t)

metamorphium - 16 December 2015 02:29 PM
Noddy - 16 December 2015 12:05 PM

Mobot seems to think otherwise, did you not employ a scientific advisor during development? Laughing

I did for many things. However, exploding nitrogen was a nonsense which I ported even from the old J.U.L.I.A. Smile It’s Hydrogen in German version now.

Well, in your defense: nitrogen IS used in most explosive compounds as it’s what makes the other combustible/volatile elements unstable enough to actually explode. There’s a reason why it’s nitroglycerine and why the N in TNT also stands for Nitro…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’ve made some progress on Phaidros and I’m now starting Ambrosia. What a difference in the environments! Xenophon played almost like a crime-scene-in-space, while Phaidros was a disaster-scene-in-space, and now Ambrosia is an Eden-like Alpha scenario where you’re starting from scratch in communicating with a new language. I love the variety.

I still am guessing madly, but I’d add a name to Noddy’s Suspicions: SHE could be Rachel Manners. Apparently Rachel was imprisoned on the probe by Lark after the first Ambrosia expedition (at least, that’s what I remember from one of the datapads in Xenophon). So, JULIA essentially kept Rachel imprisoned for 60 years until she desperately needed her. Intriguingly, Rachel doesn’t ask JULIA anything about this after the truth is discovered. I should probably remember this from the beginning of the game—is Rachel also suffering from partial amnesia?

I finally triggered the Mind-o-Matic—I hadn’t read one of Lark’s entries. Finally reading it triggered the Mind-o. I would very much like to know how Lark was chosen to lead the expedition. Judging from what happened, he was not particularly qualified.

Iznogood - 18 December 2015 05:47 PM

Anyway I still love all the small details, and the comments made by Mobot, Julia and Rachel, but also something like, [spoiler]the last entry on Marita Robinson’s datapad being: “I think I’ve found a way! I will try tonight. If this works, we can save ourselves” - kind of like someone’s last words being: Relax, what could possibly go wrong? Grin[/spoiler]

[spoiler]Of course we don’t actually know for a fact that it didn’t work, perhaps we will run into miss Robinson later in the game???[/spoiler]
Hmmm… Marita Robinson - Robinson Crusoe .. purely a coincidence?!?

Izno—Marita Robinson is the Forum Administrator at GameBoomers, and a prolific walkthrough writer, so yes, “Robinson” and “Robinson Crusoe” are sheer coincidences. Cool

Some early Ambrosia images:

Mobot on his way to the planet.

An Ambrosia close-up.

Mobot in the jungle.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Becky - 02 January 2016 11:06 AM

I still am guessing madly, but I’d add a name to Noddy’s Suspicions: SHE could be Rachel Manners. Apparently Rachel was imprisoned on the probe by Lark after the first Ambrosia expedition (at least, that’s what I remember from one of the datapads in Xenophone). So, JULIA essentially kept Rachel imprisoned for 60 years until she desperately needed her. Intriguingly, Rachel doesn’t ask JULIA anything about this after the truth is discovered. I should probably remember this from the beginning of the game—is Rachel also suffering from partial amnesia?

I believe [spoiler]that Rachel was incarcerated before the events on Ambrosia, at least there are several datapads on both Xenophon and Phaidros that implies that it happened earlier, even if exactly when and more importantly the reason for it, hasn’t been revealed yet.
She also isn’t suffering from amnesia, she just wasn’t around to witness the events, at least absolutely nothing have been said about her having amnesia.
Neither of that however means that she couldn’t be responsible for everything that has happened, just that she couldn’t directly have killed the crew on Xenophone.[/spoiler]

Izno—Marita Robinson is the Forum Administrator at GameBoomers, and a prolific walkthrough writer, so yes, “Robinson” and “Robinson Crusoe” are sheer coincidences. Cool

Ah, I didn’t know that.

Edit:

Finally reading it triggered the Mind-o. I would very much like to know how Lark was chosen to lead the expedition. Judging from what happened, he was not particularly qualified.

Indeed he wasn’t, but more about that will be revealed later in the game Wink

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 107

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Ok, think I’ve done all I can on Ambrosia for now. Enjoyed the map making part, wasn’t so keen on the translation puzzle, however all the other puzzles were great.

I’m now back on Phaidros and hit a brick wall! So far I’ve got into the male dorm and found the body of Roger Callan. but I can’t seem to get into his datapad.
From his emails it looks like his password should be RogerCallan313012 (‘my name and 313012’) but this doesn’t work. Am I missing something?

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2005-08-01

PM

You got your hint right, you’re just overthinking it a bit Smile You don’t need anything else to hack into his datapad

Someday You\‘ll return, J.U.L.I.A.: Among the Stars, Serena, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A.: Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

metamorphium - 03 January 2016 10:54 AM

You got your hint right, you’re just overthinking it a bit Smile You don’t need anything else to hack into his datapad

Thanks! Got it now. I’m surprised that you can’t use the SD card hacker for this one, thought we’d hacked more complex but maybe not?

Joined 2005-08-01

PM

Noddy - 03 January 2016 03:06 PM

Thanks! Got it now. I’m surprised that you can’t use the SD card hacker for this one, thought we’d hacked more complex but maybe not?

Actually it doesn’t have to do anything with password strength but rather if strong cryptography is used while storing the info in the datapad. If you choose strong cryptography, it’s impossible to hack it via simple hacking means regardless if the password is long or short.

Someday You\‘ll return, J.U.L.I.A.: Among the Stars, Serena, Vampires!, J.U.L.I.A.: Untold, Ghost in the Sheet

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’ve done all I can on Ambrosia for now. I’ve also done all I can on Phaidros as well. And I’ve fully upgraded Mobot.

I don’t think there’s anything left to do that doesn’t require visiting another planet first, so I’m ready for the green light on Thursday.

Still haven’t unlocked a new Mind-o-Matic. Thought I’d get one for Phaidros. Maybe later.

I’ve been thinking about the alien’s three punishments: could it be that the first punishment involved another sentient race that annihilated/nuked Xenophone - which would be the alien’s original homeworld - about 500 years back? The second punishment would then be that same other race that tracked the remaining aliens to the lake on Ambrosia and poisoned the lake and of course the third punishment is our crew landing and opening fire on the Ambrosian aliens.

As for the prophecy of Ith, my guess is that “the place in the mist” is that mist-covered moon of Hermes. Maybe the other sentient race is there?

As for why the communications with JULIA keep messing with the individual planetary missions, I really hope it’s not a case of JULIA being an evil AI but rather that the conspiratory “SHE” that’s potentially behind everything refers to either *us* (Rachel - which could provide a great twist if done right) or more simply: the Yamabushi lead that financed this entire probe operation (did any of the datapads mention an actual name or sex?).
Or maybe it’s that other sentient race that’s messing with us? Curious to find out more. And I’d like to know what went wrong on Zenobia, so I’m hoping we’ll be going there next. Smile

Very much loving the game so far. The puzzles are all really logical, well clued, and even though some require a bit of trial-and-error (like the datapad passwords that lack one digit), so far they’ve all been right up my alley. The story so far is also very intriguing and doing a great job of pulling me into its mysteries.

The game is easily exceeding my expectations! Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I am also done with Ambrosia, and I too find the puzzles in this game to be logical and actually fun to solve.

I’ve played adventure games where the puzzles were at best a chore, but this is not one of them. 

This game is a great adventure game to start off 2016. The length is good also, not too short like most of the games I played last year.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I just finished Ambrosia. The luscious forest was a very nice change from the insides of space ships, and it was nice to meet an alien race. I am still wondering who did the first 2 of the 3 punishments. Seems like there is another alien race in this solar system. The third punishment sounds like our trigger happy crew.

As far as the culprit who killed the crew, I now think it is either JULIA or the second alien race which threw the pink stuff into the lake . I feel that Rachel being a culprit is highly unlikely because she was cryo sleeping throughout whatever happened to the crew.

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

SoccerDude28 - 20 December 2015 11:32 PM

Anyone else love the Mobot plan construction mini-game? I really have a blast connecting all the components and wires.

Noddy - 21 December 2015 05:22 AM

I’m also loving the upgrade constructions

I’m changing my mind - the latest one is killing me!  Cry

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Noddy - 05 January 2016 04:04 AM
SoccerDude28 - 20 December 2015 11:32 PM

Anyone else love the Mobot plan construction mini-game? I really have a blast connecting all the components and wires.

I’m also loving the upgrade constructions

Lol it is difficult, but when you figure it out, you feel rather smart Cool

Joined 2005-08-01

PM

Grin Grin Just you wait! In one week you can see what a really challenging construction puzzles are.

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Having completed the second construct I think I’ve arrived at Izno’s cut-off point.
When J.U.L.I.A. became the CPT I said that there were 2 specific puzzle differences between the original and Amongst The Stars, one of which was made simpler. Well, the translator puzzle was this. In the original this puzzle was very similar but vertical instead of horizontal (no problem there of course) but it was timed - and viciously so. I did have a short email conversation with Jan about this during the creation of the remodelled game asking if this was staying timed or not. I know I wasn’t the only person querying this. My main concern was the logic in it being timed as the psychologist part of me said “no way would something like this in reality be created as a timed methodology of learning an alien language - or any language come to that. Jan responded that, as a translator, oh yes it would. (I did refrain from emailing back “oh no it wouldn’t!” After all, it wasn’t panto season at the time Smile )
As we have seen Jan did drop the timing for this puzzle but, in doing so, it became very easy which was a shame. This is no criticism BTW as I don’t see how else he could have done it.

Here’s a pic of mini-Mobot doing some work:

This bit annoyed me which I don’t recall it doing in the original, which is strange.
At this point not only can’t we get into the men’s dorm but also we couldn’t get into the server room. The first was because of a damaged door and the second we didn’t have the door code. Why couldn’t I just cut my way in instead of having to find the door code. It’s what any good logical thinking Mobot would have done Tongue

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I have now also completed the this part myself, and I have to say that Ambrosia was every bit as beautiful and interesting as I remembered it.

This translation puzzle however did give me quite a bit of headache:

[spoiler]At first I just tried solving it by trial & error, but when it kept resetting every time I picked the wrong words, I soon realised that wouldn’t work. So instead I started writing down the different signs and the correct answers when I got it right, hoping that I would be able to actually decode the language myself, and I’m not sure if that would have worked if I had kept at it, but suddenly I realised that I was over thinking it, and it was really just a visual puzzle, where you have to match the top and bottom part, so the connectors to the yellow points in the middle was the same - and I have even played the game before [/spoiler]

TimovieMan - 03 January 2016 06:41 PM

I’ve been thinking about the alien’s three punishments: could it be that the first punishment involved another sentient race that annihilated/nuked Xenophone - which would be the alien’s original homeworld - about 500 years back? The second punishment would then be that same other race that tracked the remaining aliens to the lake on Ambrosia and poisoned the lake and of course the third punishment is our crew landing and opening fire on the Ambrosian aliens.

That is also my own take on it, but there is also another equally plausible explanation, that I quite like:

[spoiler]The Ambrosians could have destroyed Xenophon themselves in a nuclear war, and then have been saved and relocated to Ambrosia by a benevolent alien species, and they could themselves also be responsible for poisoning the water on Ambrosia, in some kind of similar manner.
The Ambrosians doesn’t remember the actual events, and have instead turned the whole thing into a myth, see it as punishment for their pride and have based a religion around those punishments, so the actual events are wide open for interpretations.
If we follow this thought, then it could also mean that Ith was an Ambrosian who was kidnapped by the aliens, and then taught how the Ambrosians could live in harmony with their environment without constantly destroying it, and then send back to Ambrosia to start a religion around those teachings.[/spoiler]

It might even be possible to explain everything without the need for a different alien species. Remember that once upon a time, the Ambrosians were far more technological advances then they are now, so the benevolent alien species, could simply be Ambrosians that had parted from the rest of the species, lived on a different planet and evolved in a different direction.

And if we look at what happened to the humans on Xenophon and Phaidros, then it happened after the crew had opened fire and killed many Ambrosians. So it could very well be that this benevolent alien species regardless of whether they are also Ambrosians, decided to wipe out the humans in order to protect the Ambrosians from the humans.

Now of course we also have to take into account that there is a reason this whole space mission was undertaken. Back on Earth they detected a signal that they traced to this solar system. It seems unlikely that a benevolent alien species who are protecting the Ambrosians would send out such a signal, but it could have been done by the ambrosians themselves while they were still living on Xenophon and before their demise.

It is of course also possible that there is an entirely different explanation for everything!

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top