• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Game Playthrough #14 - Emerald City Confidential

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I only took two. I’ll take more when I need to. I haven’t skipped any of the dialog. Maybe I mis-read the clock and I played for 2.5 hours. Who know? The “older” mind is not always on top of things.

I also had a head start. I had to play a part of the game to get Petra to her office so I could grab the AGSotD screenshot. So I didn’t start from scratch like everyone else did.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2989

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I always swallow all the pills of knowledge!!! They prvide useful background info to the “pills” menu!!! And I always check for buttons…. Naughty

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’ve only just started (basically, I’m at Tim’s screenshot for the AGSotD two weeks ago), but I just gotta comment on the graphics: they remind me very much of the graphics for Jack Orlando!

Now, Jack Orlando was a poor game, but it had a lot of production value and a solid graphic style, so this particular comparison is very much a compliment. Smile

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Sefir - 05 December 2015 03:57 AM

I always swallow all the pills of knowledge!!! They prvide useful background info to the “pills” menu!!! And I always check for buttons…. Naughty

Well, I have five days to kill. So I guess I might as well go back and take some pills. Cool

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’ve been given the quest by Trot.

I deliberately bought the wrong flowers for Betsy first to see what would happen.

I took all the knowledge pills because I’m a glutton for backstory (and I’m not that familiar with the world of Oz apart from the 1939 movie).

Out of curiosity: what rate did you charge? I went for the normal one, because the Emerald City is a cesspool of corruption. Being soft gets you killed in places like that.
I would do the same in Ankh-Morpork, for instance. Or any other noir setting really.

I’ve found 7 buttons so far, 3 green ones, 3 red ones and one yellow.

And I have a sneaking suspicion that the silver cufflink belongs to the no-longer-Cowardly Lion.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I charged the max. Never know when you might need more money/emeralds.

I don’t keep track of the green buttons. Whenever you go into the store and say you have some, you get something in return. Whether you actually have them or not.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2989

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

rtrooney - 05 December 2015 10:37 PM

I don’t keep track of the green buttons. Whenever you go into the store and say you have some, you get something in return. Whether you actually have them or not.

Well, for me this dialog option only appears when I have actually found buttons to give.
She always gives you some game sketches in return (which I find really nice btw!).

TimovieMan - 05 December 2015 08:05 PM

Out of curiosity: what rate did you charge?

Half a price. I pittied her.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Some other remarks: it took me about 2-and-a-half hours to get to the checkpoint, and so far the search for buttons and the constant “new quest” and “quest completed” messages are the only things that remind me that this is not a ‘regular’ AG but a more ‘casual’ one. Otherwise I’d be tempted to just call this a full-fledged (but easy) adventure game.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Another giveaway is the fact you can’t save individual games.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5596

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I’m bogged down with some have-tos, but I hope to get started playing tomorrow.  I’ve decided to try re-downloading it on the off chance that the missing screen elements I encountered the first time I played are just download glitches.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Now that you mention glitches, my cursor “trails” a little when I play the game in fullscreen. The area affected is a square that has the height of the cursor, so it’s not much, but it’s slightly annoying. If I play the game windowed, I don’t have the issue.

Total Posts: 5596

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I played a bit tonight.  I just arrived outside the university.  I really have forgotten so much of the story, so it’s like playing a new game. 

This Oz reminds me of the movie Return to Oz combined with Gregory Maguire’s excellent Oz series, Wicked et al.  In the movie, the Gump is a favorite piece of furniture character, and I like the way the game has made him the transport system.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’ve made it to the stopping point. Enjoying it so far.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Becky - 08 December 2015 06:56 PM

I’ve made it to the stopping point. Enjoying it so far.

We talked about this on the AGSotD. Edit: This link does not seem to be working, so the thread is the AGSotD - Friday 13 November. It’s about halfway down page 2.

I would be curious what people think about this game as it aligns with either adventure or casual gaming. I don’t pretend to be un-biased. I think it’s a casual, albeit one of the best ones ever.

I’m sure people on both sides of the fence might be tempted to switch allegiances as the game moves forward.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

rtrooney - 08 December 2015 07:19 PM

We talked about this on the AGSotD. Edit: This link does not seem to be working, so the thread is the AGSotD - Friday 13 November. It’s about halfway down page 2.

Fixed the link. It contained an http:// too many.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top