• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Last Crown

Total Posts: 55

Joined 2006-11-21

PM

Fien - 21 September 2012 09:21 AM

Jonathan Boakes tweet 12 September:
@ipostaze Finishing up the TLC games & compiling some DLC’s for further play. Basically, a lot of new TLC. Also, trying new tech for DF4.

DLC? Please tell me that does NOT stand for Downloadable Content!

Frown  Embarassed  Thumbs Up

/facepalm

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.
- Carl Sagan

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Someone please tell Mr Boakes we’re perfectly happy with a single, average length game. Although I like the idea of getting a third Lost Crown game and Dark Fall 4 as well as some more playtime for TLC in whatever form he chooses, I’d be happier to just be playing an actual game right now instead of hearing about new projects constantly being added and delaying everything else indefinitely.

Total Posts: 93

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I admire his ambition but this is getting a little insane. I’d love to see something tangible from Jonathan Boakes or Matt Clark instead of this continually longer list of works in progress.

Total Posts: 317

Joined 2008-07-14

PM

Oscar - 21 September 2012 11:07 AM

I’d be happier to just be playing an actual game right now instead of hearing about new projects constantly being added and delaying everything else indefinitely.

I’m with you. I can’t even add to that.

Favorite Adventure Games-Lost Crown, Longest Journey, Dark Fall 1&2, Barrow Hill, Black Mirror, Blackwell games, Riven, Myst
Favorite Other Games-Kings Bounty, FTL
Currently Playing-Barrow Hill:The Dark Path
Looking Forward To-Last Crown/Braken Tor

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Yeah, yeah! (British parliament like)

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Why such negativity about the DLCs? I like them as a gamer. I mean, it’s a nice option to have when you’re craving for more. For example, I really enjoyed the added content to the new Fallouts. Why that couldn’t work in adventures?

Like I said before, we’re considering this for Asylum. To make things clear: you get a length and completely closed adventure the first time. It won’t be some kind of bait as in “pay to see more” sort of thing. But I’m thinking, hey, we have this huge building and we could have a bunch of additional stories taking place in it. Why not? As a gamer I certainly would like to have that option for a few extra bucks, say, $5.

To compare, the Scratches Director’s Cut was released one year after the original game while keeping the same price. Many people wanted that and were more than willing to pay the exact same price for admittedly few extra content. And I can hardly remember any complains.

So I ask again: what’s the exact problem with a DLC? Just five bucks for plenty of guaranteed fresh content (at least in our case). What’s not to like about that?

Senscape // Founder // Designer | Working on: Asylum | Twitter: @AgustinCordes

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

It’s not the DLC, but “talk about DLC whereas the main game isn’t out yet/postponed so many times”. Like bringing a condom on a first date.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

What’s the exact problem with bringing a condom on a first date?

(j/k, I understand the point)

Senscape // Founder // Designer | Working on: Asylum | Twitter: @AgustinCordes

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

diego - 21 September 2012 03:30 PM

It’s not the DLC, but “talk about DLC whereas the main game isn’t out yet/postponed so many times”.

For me it IS the DLC. The game hasn’t been postponed, that’s nonsense. Unlike that Clark friend of his, Boakes didn’t promise anything, except that one of the sequels would be released this year. So we have no reason to grumble.

Like bringing a condom on a first date.

What?! Male persons should always carry a condom in one of their many pockets.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 87

Joined 2007-07-23

PM

I don’t know about the specifics, but it seems to me that completing one game would take less time if one was not also working on two or more other games and/or DLC at the same time…

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Fien - 21 September 2012 04:46 PM

Unlike that Clark friend of his, Boakes didn’t promise anything, except that one of the sequels would be released this year. So we have no reason to grumble.

Ok, it wasn’t postponed “so many times”, but he did push it back from 2011. to “a 2012 release date”. But I admit this is a unique situation as he said “I’m working hard to make two worthy sequels, so there’s less of a wait between 2 and 3.”

Agustín Cordes - 21 September 2012 03:36 PM

What’s the exact problem with bringing a condom on a first date?

Fien - 21 September 2012 04:46 PM

What?! Male persons should always carry a condom in one of their many pockets.

Ok, let me rephrase that: Like waving with a condom over the dinner table on a first date. Happy? Wink

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2008-05-28

PM

A small teaser:

The game’s map. Looks pretty cool.

Total Posts: 643

Joined 2006-09-24

PM

Please have a “quick travel” feature for the map. One thing I disliked in The Lost Crown was all the backtracking.

Total Posts: 946

Joined 2005-06-02

PM

Three different maps! Nice pic. I really want to play the Crown games.

Now playing: ——-
Recently finished: don’t remember
Up next:  Eh…
Looking forward to:
Ithaka of the Clouds; The Last Crown; all the kickstarter adventure games I supported

Total Posts: 109

Joined 2009-03-01

PM

Agustín Cordes - 21 September 2012 03:07 PM

Why such negativity about the DLCs? I like them as a gamer. I mean, it’s a nice option to have when you’re craving for more.

My main problem with DLCs is (as has already been mentioned) if they’re already talking about it/working on it before the main game is even released.

Also if they’re leaving content (especially just silly stuff like guns or an extra level) out of the game just so they can charge more for it in DLC. However, this is something that usually only big publishers do.

DLC is great when they’re more like what we used to call “expansion packs” back in the day like Duke Nukem’s Plutonium Pack. See Trine 2’s Goblin Menace. That’s DLC done right. When the developers actually put some thought into it.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top