• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

DinahPenceLady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Playing Legend Entertainment library

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I have now finished Spellcasting 301. I ended up finishing rather quickly not because I liked it but because it was so frustrating that I decided to just make use of the walkthrough to see the ending.

The structure of the game is similar to S201 with tasks being given but the area is much more open and bigger. And while in the second game if you didn’t complete each task you had to restart the day in here the game just keeps going and going.
So the big area to explore, lots of objects available very soon, a hugely restrictive inventory space limit, lots of hard puzzles and time limits, just made it a very frustrating game for me. Lots of restores and repetitions. I was basically solving puzzles randomly not really knowing where in the big picture of the game that stuff would be needed.
The story was also not grabbing me since it was a retread of the second game.
I wouldn’t really recommend this one at all unless anyone wants a big challenge and have the patience.

Hopefully Eric the Unready is a return to the interesting games (but only next week)

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

It’s a not-very-difficult game with a lot of humor. Most of it’s childish but I still liked the game, though nostalgia is a factor for me.

Total Posts: 117

Joined 2006-12-03

PM

Great you are replaying the Legend adventure catalogue. So many good memories. For me, 201 was better than 101, and 301 better than 201. I also disliked the time limit, but when you don’t try to win all competitions it becomes much easier. Liked the puzzles, and after all those years many locations are still so familiar. Sorry to hear you didn’t find it interesting, but perhaps my opinion is influenced a bit because I started with the third game. 
(Other comment) Wouldn’t call Eric the Unready childish or not very difficult (bit of burlesque?). Some consider it to be the best of the Legend games (before they changed the interface). Hope you will like it, it’s a brilliant game.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

mart - 09 September 2015 02:19 PM

Great you are replaying the Legend adventure catalogue. So many good memories. For me, 201 was better than 101, and 301 better than 201. I also disliked the time limit, but when you don’t try to win all competitions it becomes much easier. Liked the puzzles, and after all those years many locations are still so familiar. Sorry to hear you didn’t find it interesting, but perhaps my opinion is influenced a bit because I started with the third game. 
(Other comment) Wouldn’t call Eric the Unready childish or not very difficult (bit of burlesque?). Some consider it to be the best of the Legend games (before they changed the interface). Hope you will like it, it’s a brilliant game.

That’s a good point about S301, I was trying to win all competitions before going too forward and that just added to my frustration. I guess the best to play it is just go with the flow until the end and see what the game objective is really about and focus on that. (But I do think you need to win some them to actually be able to solev the ending.)

I’ve started Eric, nice update on the game engine (dialogue trees!) and graphics. Also I like comedy with fantasy parodies so I think I’ll like the tone.

Total Posts: 37

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Does Eric the Unready have dead ends?

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

I remember one near the end, but it leads to a bad ending if I remember correctly, and makes it obvious what was missing.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Phod - 17 September 2015 12:32 AM

Does Eric the Unready have dead ends?

Depends on your definition of dead ends and on who you ask. For most people, including me, a bad ending is a bad ending and not a dead end. (Or at the very least a special kind of “dead end”.) In any game based on the passage of time things will change independent of your own actions and that means you can fail. Is it a dead end when a game tells you that you have to save the princess before nightfall and you fail in your mission?

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Better safe than sorry Tongue

I was thinking about it as a dead end since past a certain point in the game (which isn’t immediately before the bad ending), you can’t fix what needs fixing. So, you play a certain portion, only realizing at its end that you were doomed since you missed something earlier.
So, it’s kind of like a dead end, though clearly not as bad because you get feedback from the game about it, thus there’s no chance of wandering around wasting time thinking you can still make progress when it’s impossible.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Antrax - 17 September 2015 01:54 AM

I remember one near the end, but it leads to a bad ending if I remember correctly, and makes it obvious what was missing.

Then I agree with Karlok. That’s a bad ending, not a dead end.

The main thing about a dead end is that you don’t know that you’re in one. Getting a non-standard game over does not qualify as a dead end…

Edit:

Antrax - 17 September 2015 06:25 AM

you get feedback from the game about it, thus there’s no chance of wandering around wasting time thinking you can still make progress when it’s impossible.

Exactly. Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Are you still playing, wilco?
I am.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Karlok - 21 September 2015 02:34 PM

Are you still playing, wilco?
I am.

Yeah, I am. haven’t made much progress because other stuff came up (Metal Gear Solid) but I’m hoping I’ll finish Eric this week. What are your thoughts on S301?

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Eh… I switched to Eric.  Shifty Eyed Still determined to finish 301 though. Just not now. Smile

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Understandable Smile

I’ve made some progress in Eric (got the Pitchfork), game is much more linear, maps smaller and puzzles easier. It’s a welcome change not having to stress out where I am and what I should me doing at that precise time.

I’m finding quite funny, jokes in almost every line and place and are a lot about culture parodies and other games. Remind me of Jazzpunk sometimes but more related to fantasy.
Some jokes don’t land well but some it’s been mostly entertaining (great references to Zork and Monkey Island in the dwarf cave).

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

wilco - 22 September 2015 11:03 AM

Understandable Smile

I’ve made some progress in Eric (got the Pitchfork), game is much more linear, maps smaller and puzzles easier. It’s a welcome change not having to stress out where I am and what I should me doing at that precise time.

Yeah, it’s much easier than the Spellcasting series. I’m currently at the Fairgrounds.

I’m finding quite funny, jokes in almost every line and place and are a lot about culture parodies and other games. Remind me of Jazzpunk sometimes but more related to fantasy. Some jokes don’t land well but some it’s been mostly entertaining (great references to Zork and Monkey Island in the dwarf cave).

I tried to pump Fran about Stan. Smile

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Karlok - 22 September 2015 11:32 AM

I tried to pump Fran about Stan. Smile

“I don’t like to talk about Stan. He’s the black sheep, sells stuff that people need.” Grin

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top