• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

grizzlypants

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #33: Scratches

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Sefir - 09 May 2015 08:36 PM
Advie - 09 May 2015 08:22 PM

I wanted to ask, is reading diaries, notes and newspapers crucial to puzzle solving during the game?

Yes, otherwise you’ll have no idea about the story AND you’ll miss critical information regarding the game’s puzzles.

Good God, why do I have the feeling that the game will hold more pages than ‘The Stand-The Complete & Uncut Edition’  Wink

Total Posts: 2993

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Advie - 09 May 2015 09:03 PM

I wanted to ask, is reading diaries, notes and newspapers crucial to puzzle solving during the game?

Yes, otherwise you’ll have no idea about the story AND you’ll miss critical information regarding the game’s puzzles.

Good God, why do I have the feeling that the game will hold more pages than ‘The Stand-The Complete & Uncut Edition’  Wink

No, it’s not that much, but it is something I mentioned 3 times in this thread and another one in the voting thread, so you knew this element would be here. I also mentioned many times that I personally found the material very interesting. I hope the same will aply to you as well.

Total Posts: 4258

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Greetings to Agustín Cordes, the man who did a wonderful job on Scratches (and I didn’t even play the Director’s Cut, which is probably better than the regular version).

Karlok - 09 May 2015 08:29 PM

Remember this one?

One of the greatest and funniest, I still have fond memories of it.
I (still) miss the game mistress too .

P.S. You can’t beat a spontaneous playthrough, a couple of months of (fierce) voting take all the joy out of a playthrough.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 80

Joined 2013-02-02

PM

Agustín Cordes - 09 May 2015 05:38 PM

The pacing of the first day is excruciatingly slow, so I’m glad you’re through with it.

I meant the pacing of the playthrough. I like the game already, just explored everything.

Design-wise, the major problem is that I was holding players’ hands too much by introducing these artificial goals (look for candles, try starting the car, etc). So while I invited you to explore the place at your own pace, at the same time I was forcing you to achieve the exact things I wanted (for example, it’s a mandatory condition to visit the attic and read something there). The first day is all about the illusion of freedom, and it mostly failed.

I think the only design-problem for me was that I already explored the place to much before calling Jerry, so I had to call him two times in a row. But I see your point about the illusion of freedom falling a bit short.
The feeling of isolation is quite effective. You made me really wish for that electrician to show up, and to curse myself for letting the car batteries drain (and curse the rain in the morning, was looking forward to that beer with Jerry)

That said, I consider the second day to be the highlight of the game.

Looking forward to it. Wink

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Sefir - 10 May 2015 02:41 AM
Advie - 09 May 2015 09:03 PM

No, it’s not that much, but it is something I mentioned 3 times in this thread and another one in the voting thread, so you knew this element would be here. I also mentioned many times that I personally found the material very interesting. I hope the same will aply to you as well.

thanks for explaining, Sefir Smile,
I just hope its alright we can express our thoughts (and puns) Naughty for the game without any hard feelings.    Innocent

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Advie - 10 May 2015 12:23 PM

I just hope its alright we can express our thoughts (and puns) Naughty for the game without any hard feelings.    Innocent

Sure you can!
And I’m sure that a hardcore adventurer like you will have no problem with reading.  Naughty

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Well, as I explore the old house, I can feel the tension starting to build, slowly getting better. This game is quite a bit of fun to play on a day like today, rainy and with wind and thunder storms howling outside my very own house….........

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 33

Joined 2011-07-05

PM

So far so good. Completed a search of outside and inside the mansion. Feeling a bit overwhelmed as there are so many rooms/areas, and hard to know if anything has been missed. Time to start seeing if I can piece any of the puzzles together from what I have collected so far. He does sure complain a lot about carrying his luggage around Laughing

Total Posts: 107

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Finished day 1.

Thought I had explored pretty well initially, however I had missed the basement key on my first look around then spent hours looking around for other stuff (candles/oil/tools). At least I know my way around a bit better now!

Really enjoying this, looking forward to day 2.

Cheers
Nod

Total Posts: 33

Joined 2011-07-05

PM

Well, that didn’t take long, stuck already. Current task is trying to fix the lights, but I don’t have the basement key (i’m assuming that’s where the fuse box is). From an old photograph, I can see the key hanging above a vase with rings on it. Can’t seem to find said vase. I also know there a room with a key stuck in the hole. I have the poker for the keyhole, but not able to use anything in my inventory to catch the key.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

I managed to get some time in so far, but not a lot thanks to some toothache and an unplanned visit to the dentist Frown

Although I played this ages ago, I’m really surprised by how much I have forgotten so far - even in the first 30 minutes or so of the game!

Will comment more later, but for now…

It was nice to hear… Jonathan Boakes… Speaking more than… 3 or 4 words… in one go… without a pause!

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Izlimak - 11 May 2015 05:07 AM

Well, that didn’t take long, stuck already. Current task is trying to fix the lights, but I don’t have the basement key (i’m assuming that’s where the fuse box is). From an old photograph, I can see the key hanging above a vase with rings on it. Can’t seem to find said vase. I also know there a room with a key stuck in the hole. I have the poker for the keyhole, but not able to use anything in my inventory to catch the key.

Case 1: Could the beforementioned vases have been moved somewhere else in the mansion?
Case 2: Come on now! It’s the oldest trick in the book!Is there anything around that could possibly interact with the chasm between the door and the floor?

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Intense Degree - 11 May 2015 05:09 AM

It was nice to hear… Jonathan Boakes… Speaking more than… 3 or 4 words… in one go… without a pause!

Hey, if it works for William Shatner… Grin

Playing with headphones on was a great idea. Especially when the dishwasher was on at home. The noise it made sounded like it was coming from inside the game, like stomping on the floor just above the player’s location. Very unnerving. Grin

Anyway, I’m thoroughly exploring everything. Did everything outside (except behind the house - odd that you can’t get there from the front), and most of the first floor (including reading the diary in the study and the one in the living room).

I’ve gone upstairs just for a sec, which triggered the “my luggage is getting heavy” remarks. I’m curious to see if the complaining about the luggage loops after a while, or if there are repercussions for ignoring it. Tongue

Straying far from the house outside does a good job at making you feel alone and vulnerable. It’s like any minute something could jump out from behind a tree or something…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Izlimak - 11 May 2015 03:46 AM

He does sure complain a lot about carrying his luggage around Laughing

TimovieMan - 11 May 2015 06:23 AM

I’ve gone upstairs just for a sec, which triggered the “my luggage is getting heavy” remarks. I’m curious to see if the complaining about the luggage loops after a while, or if there are repercussions for ignoring it. Tongue

Grin

Come on people!! Stop torturing the poor fellow!! Put down the luggage when you find the approptiate place!!

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Sefir - 11 May 2015 06:38 AM

Grin

Come on people!! Stop torturing the poor fellow!! Put down the luggage when you find the approptiate place!!

Oh, I know where it’s supposed to go. I’m just not going there until I’ve been everywhere else. Grin

I spend my days carrying either a toddler or a baby around (and sometimes both at the same time). Carrying a single suitcase is nothing. Innocent
Unless it’s filled with rocks or something.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top