• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

grizzlypants

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #33: Scratches

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2011-04-12

PM

Hey, can a first timer still come on board for this playthrough? I’ve already played Scratches, but it was some time ago, and I would enjoy wandering the Manor again, specially with the man himself giving detailed insights about the game!

Total Posts: 317

Joined 2008-07-14

PM

My “Dark Fall” radar was tripped! Tongue

I am very excited to see Agustin’s insider information on the game, and I’ll be following along.

Favorite Adventure Games-Lost Crown, Longest Journey, Dark Fall 1&2, Barrow Hill, Black Mirror, Blackwell games, Riven, Myst
Favorite Other Games-Kings Bounty, FTL
Currently Playing-Barrow Hill:The Dark Path
Looking Forward To-Last Crown/Braken Tor

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

This CP won with 11 votes.
Now I count 10 (ten!) new posters joining in. Smile
Makes one wonder if spontaneous, unofficial CPs could be succesful too… 

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Karlok - 09 May 2015 01:47 PM

Grin , i wonder where were they when this game craved for one vote to get here? but anyways i am happy to see this playthrough is drawing a lot of gamers in, now I can rest in peace Tongue

Total Posts: 80

Joined 2013-02-02

PM

Advie - 09 May 2015 02:19 PM

Grin , i wonder where were they when this game craved for one vote to get here? but anyways i am happy to see this playthrough is drawing a lot of gamers in, now I can rest in peace Tongue

Can only speak for meself, but I´ve been off the big net for some time. Voted for Scratches for a playthrough before though.

on another note: I don´t know if I missed some things (first time playing), but I´m on day 2 now. Makes me worry a bit about the pacing…

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Duck of Doom - 09 May 2015 03:57 PM
Advie - 09 May 2015 02:19 PM

Can only speak for meself, but I´ve been off the big net for some time. Voted for Scratches for a playthrough before though.

you need not to talk of anything Duck of Doom, its not like the game had lost. Scratches won and all are happy ,the ones who voted and the ones joined later.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

So we play until we reach Day 2?

There is always some that didn’t vote for the game, or didn’t participate in the votes at all, that join when the actual playthrough starts (and some that voted but don’t actually join Frown), but that Agustín Cordes has joined us probably hasn’t hurt the interest in this CP Tongue

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 5601

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

TechnoSpike - 09 May 2015 01:20 PM

Hey, can a first timer still come on board for this playthrough? I’ve already played Scratches, but it was some time ago, and I would enjoy wandering the Manor again, specially with the man himself giving detailed insights about the game!

Hey, TechnoSpike!  It’s good to see you here.  Of course you can join in and welcome!

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

Ah, the whole mirror thing. It was a budget thing but also a design decision. Budget-wise, reflecting Michael would have meant rendering an avatar every time you’re in front of a mirror—except a barebones static character wouldn’t have cut it as there’s much movement in the game. So we’d have needed to animate it, especially as you rotated the camera around the section near the mirror, and animation is very expensive. At the same time, I had this idea that no human presence should be seen in the house to enhance the feeling of isolation, and that meant your avatar as well. I can’t put my finger why but seeing your reflection would’ve spoiled the atmosphere.

Really, we simply should have gotten rid of all mirrors Tongue

In Asylum we approached the issue in a different way: there are mirrors as well, yes, but they’re all dirty and smudged (although there will be some faint reflection in a few occasions). Similary, there is far more interaction with characters this time around, but it still doesn’t feel right to see you, the protagonist. Ah, maybe I’m just nuts.

Speaking of budget, the setting of Scratches was ideal for our limited resources: you see, the story demands that you speak with characters from time to time (Better Call Jerry!), but since you’re stranded in a faraway location, your only means of communication with the outside world is through an old telephone. And that’s how we got away with character interaction without ever showing them—dirty cheap and still effective! Grin

Senscape // Founder // Designer | Working on: Asylum | Twitter: @AgustinCordes

Total Posts: 4258

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Wonder?!? We proved it.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

on another note: I don´t know if I missed some things (first time playing), but I´m on day 2 now. Makes me worry a bit about the pacing…

The pacing of the first day is excruciatingly slow, so I’m glad you’re through with it. It was a make or break thing for many players—the first day is so boring, many folks just stopped playing. Granted, nothing ever happens: it’s just exploring the place and looking around. Design-wise, the major problem is that I was holding players’ hands too much by introducing these artificial goals (look for candles, try starting the car, etc). So while I invited you to explore the place at your own pace, at the same time I was forcing you to achieve the exact things I wanted (for example, it’s a mandatory condition to visit the attic and read something there). The first day is all about the illusion of freedom, and it mostly failed.

That said, I consider the second day to be the highlight of the game. Instead of pushing you around, I casually drop two important hints and let you pursue them on your own, no hand holding. Hope you all enjoy that moment!

Senscape // Founder // Designer | Working on: Asylum | Twitter: @AgustinCordes

Total Posts: 2993

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

TechnoSpike - 09 May 2015 01:20 PM

Hey, can a first timer still come on board for this playthrough?

Sure, come in!

Fantasysci5 - 09 May 2015 01:20 PM

I am very excited to see Agustin’s insider information on the game, and I’ll be following along.

Yeah, I though something like that might happen….Wink

See my reply to Fantasysci5. Smile
Anyway, I am really happy about the participation and enthusiasm of everyone.

Wow, you’re quick! Don’t know if you missed anything, but as I said in the introductory post the pace will be determined by the majority of the participants. We’ll see….
It personally took me around 4 hours to REPLAY the chapter, remembering the majority of the obstacles around….

Iznogood - 09 May 2015 05:01 PM

So we play until we reach Day 2?

Yep!! Smile

Agustín Cordes - 09 May 2015 05:38 PM

The pacing of the first day is excruciatingly slow, so I’m glad you’re through with it. It was a make or break thing for many players—the first day is so boring, many folks just stopped playing. Granted, nothing ever happens: it’s just exploring the place and looking around. Design-wise, the major problem is that I was holding players’ hands too much by introducing these artificial goals (look for candles, try starting the car, etc). So while I invited you to explore the place at your own pace, at the same time I was forcing you to achieve the exact things I wanted (for example, it’s a mandatory condition to visit the attic and read something there). The first day is all about the illusion of freedom, and it mostly failed.

That said, I consider the second day to be the highlight of the game. Instead of pushing you around, I casually drop two important hints and let you pursue them on your own, no hand holding. Hope you all enjoy that moment!

Indeed it is the weakest chapter by far, but also helps to familiarize with the place. Has its moments too. Mostly due to the soundtrack in certain….disturbing situations.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

I wanted to ask, is reading diaries, notes and newspapers crucial to puzzle solving during the game?

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

zobraks - 09 May 2015 05:35 PM

Wonder?!? We proved it.

Yes! An excellent playthrough with an excellent leader and no more than 6 or 7 participants. Remember this one? It says “official”, but it was another spontaneous CP.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 2993

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Advie - 09 May 2015 08:22 PM

I wanted to ask, is reading diaries, notes and newspapers crucial to puzzle solving during the game?

Yes, otherwise you’ll have no idea about the story AND you’ll miss critical information regarding the game’s puzzles.

Karlok - 09 May 2015 08:29 PM
zobraks - 09 May 2015 05:35 PM

Wonder?!? We proved it.

Yes! An excellent playthrough with an excellent leader and no more than 6 or 7 participants. Remember this one? It says “official”, but it was another spontaneous CP.

Perhaps, but this is not the thread to discuss it.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top