• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

LittleRose

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Group C -  The BAG VS Tournament

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Propaganda!

Tongue

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

diego - 24 December 2014 12:09 PM

Propaganda!

Tongue

I don’t deny it.  Maniac Mansion deserves it.  Tongue

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Detective Mosely - 24 December 2014 12:08 PM

Last day of voting!  Get your votes in for one of the best and most influential adventure games of all time, Maniac Mansion!

Only 6 points short of the cutoff!

(Stanley Parable is funny and all, but it really is all story with absolutely zero gameplay.  Would be kind of a shame for a true classic like Maniac Mansion to lose out to it.)

I still can’t believe that MM won’t make it Gasp
But it seems reality is changing quite fast.

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2014-12-24

PM

7 Points) Maniac Mansion
5 Points) Gabriel Knight
3 Points) Beneath a Steel Sky

Total Posts: 55

Joined 2011-09-21

PM

7 - Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers
5 - Beneath a Steel Sky
3 - The Stanley Parable
2 - Professor Layton
1 - Maniac Mansion

Total Posts: 523

Joined 2010-02-08

PM

7 - Gabriel Knight 1
5 - Beneath a Steel Sky
3 - Maniac Mansion

Detective Mosely - 24 December 2014 12:08 PM

Stanley Parable is funny and all, but it really is all story with absolutely zero gameplay.

I see what you’re saying, and it’s true that The Stanley Parable doesn’t have much in the way of game mechanics in the traditional sense, but I wouldn’t say “zero gameplay.” To me, decision-making is the essence of gameplay and The Stanley Parable is full of decisions, moreso than other so-called “walking simulators” or interactive stories. Spoilers: Do you do as you’re told or do you rebel? How do you rebel? Ultimately, you’re a rat trying to escape a maze, rather than a cow being herded down a path, if that analogy make sense.

However, I’ve only played the original mod back in 2011, and the demo in 2013 (which I understand is a separate experience from the full game). I’ve not gotten around to the full game yet, so I could be wrong if the full game is different.

Total Posts: 192

Joined 2006-08-07

PM

7: Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers
5: Beneath a Steel Sky
3: Dark Fall
2: The Space Bar
1: Professor Layton and the Curious Village

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Caliburn - 24 December 2014 04:45 PM

I see what you’re saying, and it’s true that The Stanley Parable doesn’t have much in the way of game mechanics in the traditional sense, but I wouldn’t say “zero gameplay.” To me, decision-making is the essence of gameplay and The Stanley Parable is full of decisions, moreso than other so-called “walking simulators” or interactive stories. Spoilers: Do you do as you’re told or do you rebel? How do you rebel? Ultimately, you’re a rat trying to escape a maze, rather than a cow being herded down a path, if that analogy make sense.

However, I’ve only played the original mod back in 2011, and the demo in 2013 (which I understand is a separate experience from the full game). I’ve not gotten around to the full game yet, so I could be wrong if the full game is different.

I actually gave a point to The Stanley Parable, while I didn’t to quite a few other traditional adventures that I just didn’t enjoy that much.  Even some that are considered to be classics. So I wasn’t trying to bash it or anything.

My feelings on the matter are more about the immense respect I have for Maniac Mansion, and it’s very positive influence on the development of adventure games (while also still being a great game, with great puzzles, interactivity, and humor).  It’d be a top 5 adventure game of all time for me.  So it would be kind of a shame for it to lose out to something like The Stanley Parable, where it really is more like a Choose Your Own Adventure book than any game I’ve ever played, and calling it an adventure game is kind of a stretch.

You don’t even have dialogue choices or the ability to look at things.  From a gameplay perspective it’s just choice after choice, and that’s it.

So yeah, I have respect for The Stanley Parable.  It’s a very clever little game from a writing perspective.  And no matter who advances I’ll still enjoy the hell out of this competition.  But I’m still rooting for Maniac Mansion all the way.  Tongue

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

The final results for group C are:

***********************************************************************************
1. Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers         223   (C1)
************************************************************************************
2. Beneath a Steel Sky                               153   (C2)
************************************************************************************
3. Maniac Mansion                                       76   (C3)
4. Dark Fall                                                   74   (C4)
5. The Stanley Parable                                         74
6. The Space Bar                                                   42
7. Zork                                                                   40
8. Professor Layton and the Curious Village         29

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Stanley Parable, I’m sorry, but I Hardly Knew Ye!

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top