• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Adventure Game Number Of Rooms / Backgrounds

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Hey there, fellow adventure gamers!

There’s something I’ve been thinking about lately, and I wanted to know if you guys could help shed some light on it.

Sadly for me at least, point and click adventure games have come to be shorter and shorter as years went by, a lot of them going to episodic formats (which I think kills a lot of their charm, but that’s a whole other discussion). I was wondering, in the case of the classic 2d ones, whether old or new - is there something like a database of how many backgrounds or “rooms” adventure games have? I think it’d be fascinating to compare, say, the Dig to Primordia - not to mention it would be awesome to have the actual backgrounds (like this guy’s album http://neurotech.imgur.com/ , but complete).

So yeah, anyone with any knowledge on that, or who’s been happening to count rooms and/or puzzles for a hobby, drop a line Smile

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Whoa!  Great link!  I’m bookmarking that for future desktop background use.  Thanks!  Smile

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

I think this is a really cool kinda sorting/looking at an adventure game,  tho it sounds like judging a comedy movie with how many laughs Tongue, but I do agree with it all.

if you don’t mind I added this as an element to a survey I made long ago about that Classic Adventuring elements/features that are diminishing
http://www.adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/1944/

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

@Lambonius - glad to do it, although you’ll have to really blow them up since they are really, really tiny.

@Advie - Thanks for linking that thread! I’m currently working on an adventure prototype so that list’ll sure come in handy.

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

Nice website!

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Mr Underhill - 08 December 2014 05:42 PM

@Lambonius - glad to do it, although you’ll have to really blow them up since they are really, really tiny.

They’re just native resolution—they blow up just fine if I select “Fit to Screen” when I set it as a desktop background.  Those glorious chunky pixels…

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

The number of rooms is more like a count of how many assets have been created. You could theoretically have a very long game in a very small locale. Take Maniac Mansion for instance.

So, I’m not sure which discussion you want to have, about the actual room count or about modern game lengths.

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

I guess it really is about number of rooms. I’m a 2d artist and it’s really interesting to me how the amount of graphics that goes into point and click AGs seem so be inversely proportional to years passing by. Of course you can chalk a lot of that up to waning interest in the genre, video games becoming such a household name compared to 20 years ago, etcaetera. It’d also make for great side-by-side visual comparisons. I’d love something like a book that would cover that. Anyone willing to face such a challenge, I’m giving the idea away Tongue I’ll even back your Kickstarter! Smile

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

comment for the post before last ; as I said, this idea of the thread is no difference than counting the laughs of a comedy movie, so as trivial it sounds it still gives an idea about any ag, I wouldn’t be surprised if one day I found next the features revealed on the game’s box; the number of backgrounds as well.
at least for me this thread gave me the Desire to capture all the backgrounds of next ags I will play.

Total Posts: 118

Joined 2011-08-01

PM

I’m not aware of any “number of rooms” lists, but I do love the website “How Long To Beat”, where users can submit how long it took them to finish each game.

http://howlongtobeat.com/

According to the site, my current backlog of games will take me 174 days, 21 hours, and 20 minutes to finish!

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Quest for Infamy has over 270 backgrounds.

Bt

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

I don’t know the number of different scenes, but, I have been playing Book of Unwritten Tales for the past week. I am on Critter Chronicles now and what a lot of scenes and even with knowing how to do most puzzles, such a long game. I think this game has to rank right up there with Simon the Sorcerer with different scenes/rooms.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

mbday630 - 09 December 2014 05:41 PM

I don’t know the number of different scenes, but, I have been playing Book of Unwritten Tales for the past week. I am on Critter Chronicles now and what a lot of scenes and even with knowing how to do most puzzles, such a long game. I think this game has to rank right up there with Simon the Sorcerer with different scenes/rooms.

that (bolded) refers to the 1st of the series, Book of Unwritten Tales only, right? because I remember Critter Chronicles had/has around 20-25 scene/background only?

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

yes, it is the first game that I am basically talking about.  Critter Chronicles had a lot less scenes. I can’t remember how long it was, as I am playing it now over again. But, that first game lasted like FOREVER. but, loved every second of it.

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

Is 25 rooms considered a decent number for a standalone game nowadays?

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

When you look at something like the Agatha Christie games, they usually had less than 25. I don’t know if the number of rooms tells me very much. Quantity is not quality. The Last Express got by very few rooms and is very highly regarded. I’m sure I could think of many others. It’s worth noting that rooms can change - Edna & Harvey: The Breakout used a small number of rooms but they changed constantly, with characters and items moving around. Also, what is a ‘room’ in a 1st person game? Or something like Crimes & Punishments? It’s really an outdated term for the text adventure and Sierra era.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top