• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Veovis

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Until Dawn

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

nomadsoul - 29 August 2015 02:53 AM

You must have a penchant for hipsters teen drama.
LifeisStrange is a French game with french understanding of US and dialogues tier versus screenplay by Fessenden writing who did similar work in The Last Winter movie and other award winning films, nope.
GTFO.
I mean fudge obviously, gosh

Both games have a fairly poor understanding of slang and how kids talk. LiS at least has a better sense of how characters interact with each other, though.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Frogacuda - 29 August 2015 06:45 AM

LifeisStrange is a French game with french understanding of US and dialogues tier versus screenplay by Fessenden writing who did similar work in The Last Winter movie and other award winning films, nope.
GTFO.

Both games have a fairly poor understanding of slang and how kids talk. LiS at least has a better sense of how characters interact with each other, though.

I think Until Drawn does fairly job at mimicking teenager dialogues from the movies it’s inspired on. Just look at Cabin Fever, Wrong Turn, Cabin in the Woods, etc.

Also The Analyst parts so far are very well done and written.

About the comparisons with Life is Strange, I don’t know, they are the same game genre but a totally different “movie” genre…  I’ll have to finish both first to see how it goes.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 29 August 2015 09:19 AM
Frogacuda - 29 August 2015 06:45 AM

GTFO.

I think Until Drawn does fairly job at mimicking teenager dialogues from the movies it’s inspired on. Just look at Cabin Fever, Wrong Turn, Cabin in the Woods, etc.

Also The Analyst parts so far are very well done and written.

About the comparisons with Life is Strange, I don’t know, they are the same game genre but a totally different “movie” genre…  I’ll have to finish both first to see how it goes.

Doc shits on entire LiS script, there is nothing mature about LiS, where UD successfully captured 80s and other horror flicks with balance of natural dialogues and cheese,
LiS felt bad version of Blue is the warmest color and any timetravel flick.
If you want to do LGBT themes, do like that film, rather than using it as bait.

Moreover UD Hayden and other Voicecast was superb, timing, chemistry, delivery etc.

LiS is for kids and teens, and French men script of Oregon story didnt help much.
LarryFessenden ftw, good call by Sony to hire him.

Btw he is in the game too.
Wink

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Just wondering, Nomad.  How much did you play of Life is Strange?

Cause I share some of the criticisms, but it’s mostly for the first two episodes.  I feel they’ve gotten better and better each episode.  (But I’d still say that dialogue and interesting characters are their weakpoints)

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Detective Mosely - 30 August 2015 08:08 AM

Just wondering, Nomad.  How much did you play of Life is Strange?

Cause I share some of the criticisms, but it’s mostly for the first two episodes.  I feel they’ve gotten better and better each episode.  (But I’d still say that dialogue and interesting characters are their weakpoints)

Stopped after Ep2, finding time and reason to continue.
But if you can show me any clip of decent dialogues and non cheesy stuff , pass me on some youtube clip.
UD is intentionally cheesy, Devs aimed for that,even trophies are names after many horror flicks, it combines all of it in clever way, and then making things mature and serious.
And writing is not just conversations but screenplay and flow of narrative through conversations and complexity of characters within it.
I dont recall many horror movies doing better in writing than UD,but i recall many timetravel, Lynchian or coming of age lgbt films doing far better.

LiS never establishes itself as self aware corny coming of age, either.
I think Europeans like French can do much better by making stories of Europe with Subs for most effect.
It works for Japanese AGs , can do good for them too.

Swedish/Nords are genius though , when it comes to understanding of American culture,emotions and pulling it off, HotlineMiami, Darkness, Brothers etc.

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

nomadsoul - 30 August 2015 04:10 PM

I dont recall many horror movies doing better in writing than UD

Then you’ve never seen The Shining, Alien, The Fly, Videodrome, Seven…

A lot of horror movies hide by the genre’s history of low-budget and frankly bad films and act like they’re doing some kind of clever homage, but it’s not clever, it’s tired. It’s tired when films think they’re being cute by being cheesy and it’s tired here.

And frankly the bad attempts at imitating how American teenagers talk are just as bad as the overused “hellas” and so on in Life is Strange. They’re not intentional. It’s really the exact same problem of group of adults writing the sorts of characters they’re not real close to.

but i recall many timetravel, Lynchian or coming of age lgbt films doing far better.

But see, you just named like three different genres, none of which really encapsulate LiS. I feel like Life is Strange is more than a trite genre homage. Where Until Dawn can be easily summarized as a recognizable template of cliches, Life is Strange pulls elements of all those genres you just mentioned and then does something transformative with them. Life is Strange is more than just watching a movie and making choices, it gives its world room to breathe and live and become something more than just a movie, let alone any single similar movie.

I think Europeans like French can do much better by making stories of Europe with Subs for most effect.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Frogacuda - 30 August 2015 06:27 PM

I dont recall many horror movies doing better in writing than UD

Then you’ve never seen The Shining, Alien, The Fly, Videodrome, Seven…

A lot of horror movies hide by the genre’s history of low-budget and frankly bad films and act like they’re doing some kind of clever homage, but it’s not clever, it’s tired. It’s tired when films think they’re being cute by being cheesy and it’s tired here.

And frankly the bad attempts at imitating how American teenagers talk are just as bad as the overused “hellas” and so on in Life is Strange. They’re not intentional. It’s really the exact same problem of group of adults writing the sorts of characters they’re not real close to.

but i recall many timetravel, Lynchian or coming of age lgbt films doing far better.

But see, you just named like three different genres, none of which really encapsulate LiS. I feel like Life is Strange is more than a trite genre homage. Where Until Dawn can be easily summarized as a recognizable template of cliches, Life is Strange pulls elements of all those genres you just mentioned and then does something transformative with them. Life is Strange is more than just watching a movie and making choices, it gives its world room to breathe and live and become something more than just a movie, let alone any single similar movie.

You mentioned Fincher but not Lynch.
You also didnt mention Exorcist.
How about Jacobs ladder
Add those too lol.
Strawman arguments.

You just want to drag on point, i have mentioned my opinion and i refuse to belabor same point again to meet your standards of writing. You are the guy who was defending Witcher3 graphics downgrade saying its not, and it was.
You criticized UD graphics on last page , where you were also defending GoT graphics saying crappy textures are depth of field , whih infact was a crappy texture or no texture on props. Ironic , No , its deliberately incongrous standards.

So clearly its more like your disposition first and arguments later, i think you should start looking at things for what they are trying to be than what you want them to be in your mind. Thats why you were quick to say GTFO, without making a strong case in Herstory thread.

So for me it has already run its course.
If you dont enjoy it, well good for you, convincing and defending wont do good, game got attention from those who hardly were noticing it, even from non horror fans.
For me its my personal fav.
For me this year has been superb so far with KQ,Rapture and UD.
Enjoy hipster stuff, its your prerogative nothing wrong with that.

@wilco

Will share my top 10 moments when you finish it.

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Episode 3 takes a step forward, and then episode 4 takes an even bigger step forward from that, to where it’s pretty much on the level of the best from Telltale and Quantic Dream.  For that episode at least.  Hopefully for the finale too.  It also contains a really good and sizable puzzle where you figure out everything you can from the entire investigation so far.  Probably the best puzzle in any game of this type.

The cheesy, hipster, trying to hard to seem cool vibe is for the most part a thing of the past after episode 2.  So yeah, given the other games you like I think you’ll enjoy the rest of the series if you give it another shot.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Detective Mosely - 30 August 2015 09:34 PM

Episode 3 takes a step forward, and then episode 4 takes an even bigger step forward from that, to where it’s pretty much on the level of the best from Telltale and Quantic Dream.  For that episode at least.  Hopefully for the finale too.  It also contains a really good and sizable puzzle where you figure out everything you can from the entire investigation so far.  Probably the best puzzle in any game of this type.

The cheesy, hipster, trying to hard to seem cool vibe is for the most part a thing of the past after episode 2.  So yeah, given the other games you like I think you’ll enjoy the rest of the series if you give it another shot.

Okay, i will.

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

nomadsoul - 30 August 2015 08:07 PM

You criticized UD graphics on last page

I don’t think I was. I was merely describing how I think the graphics were made (i.e. facial capture on hand-animated bodies). UD is certainly a very good-looking game. The graphics are excellent. I was just explaining why there might be a similar “uncanny valley” to LA Noire, because it seems to have been done in a similar way.

If you dont enjoy it, well good for you, convincing and defending wont do good, game got attention from those who hardly were noticing it, even from non horror fans.
For me its my personal fav.

I don’t dislike it. It’s a good game. But when comparing the writing problems to LiS I think the problems are similar.

That said, I like UD, and I like LiS. Both have some clumsy dialogue choices, but both are good games despite that. LiS is definitely my favorite adventure game of the year so far. FWIW, it does get better with each episode, so I’d stick with it.

For me this year has been superb so far with KQ,Rapture and UD.
Enjoy hipster stuff, its your prerogative nothing wrong with that.

I don’t think there’s anything hipster about LiS. I liked KQ as well (haven’t played Rapture yet). It’s a pretty amazing year for adventures overall. Probably the best in 20 years.

nomadsoul - 30 August 2015 08:07 PM

You are the guy who was defending Witcher3 graphics downgrade saying its not, and it was.

This is totally irrelevant, but no, I said that the major changes to Witcher 3’s rendering system happened before the E3 2014 demo, which is true. I understand it looks very different from the 2013 trailer, but it had for quite some time before release.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

And done. What a razing… And it’s possible to save everyone?

Survivors: Sam, Jessica, Chris

Toughest death: Mike -I didn’t like the character but he basically was the only one doing anything and saved everyone…

Funniest death: Ashley - Game got me, “Mmm, Jessica is alive, I wonder what is behind the trap door… Dead!”

Worthless characters Matt and Emily couple… So annoying,(but the deer scene was good)

Very entertaining game, tons of jump scares, good twists and the best use of the choice gameplay I’ve seen. Telltale games are looking archaic after this and Life is Strange…
Now unsure if I play it again going blindly or read a guide…

Total Posts: 461

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Just finished my first playthrough, and oddly enough, I had exactly the same outcome as you, Wilco. Even the death of Ashley via the trapdoor, which felt a bit cheap.

Could have had a few more survivors but I made a premature choice back at the lodge; I’d still lost two at that point though.

I’ll definitely go back and fix the mistakes I made.

Now Playing: Harold Halibut, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Botany Manor, Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Dale - 31 August 2015 04:11 PM

Just finished my first playthrough, and oddly enough, I had exactly the same outcome as you, Wilco. Even the death of Ashley via the trapdoor, which felt a bit cheap.

Could have had a few more survivors but I made a premature choice back at the lodge; I’d still lost two at that point though.

You’re talking about the final choice of going for the light instead of saving Mike? That’s what I did, ir a a bit of a reflex of thinking he would make it… Don’t know why Emily didn’t try to leave at that point or how to save her.

One interesting thing is that I liked the butterfly effect notification system, which might be weird since I hate the “x will remember that” from Telltale.
Might be because this system can be used to exactly see what choices affected the game and the results and in the telltale games it mostly doesn’t matter.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 31 August 2015 04:54 PM
Dale - 31 August 2015 04:11 PM

You’re talking about the final choice of going for the light instead of saving Mike? That’s what I did, ir a a bit of a reflex of thinking he would make it… Don’t know why Emily didn’t try to leave at that point or how to save her.

One interesting thing is that I liked the butterfly effect notification system, which might be weird since I hate the “x will remember that” from Telltale.
Might be because this system can be used to exactly see what choices affected the game and the results and in the telltale games it mostly doesn’t matter.

So do you find the last Sam scene good, well the final scene even more intensifies if you
hide again till Mike leaves, creature end up on your face and you have to hold sensor for 10 or more seconds, damn fine

Yes of course you can save all, have them all die, or save any combo, and can end with just one survivor.

That Ashley scene was so obvious,basically proving why those characters in horror movies always get owned by curiosity, you as a player fell for that too.
I knew Jess was totally died with her jaw off, besides ceatures can mimic voices, it was mentioned earlier

@wilco

Play last episode and save mike this time, you dont need to go back to save him.
Àlso directly play episode with Emily scene and pull Mike’s trigger, that will have a little different interview of Mike in the end.
Emily has best death scenes. Once you are done experimenting try to watch all on youtube.

Uncanny valley or not the final credits scenes have one of the best motion capture and acting, esp Jess.

Jess didnt get much screen time and that sucks.

Total Posts: 461

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

nomadsoul - 31 August 2015 06:29 PM

That Ashley scene was so obvious,basically proving why those characters in horror movies always get owned by curiosity, you as a player fell for that too.
I knew Jess was totally died with her jaw off, besides ceatures can mimic voices, it was mentioned earlier

Well it didn’t help that at the end of the previous chapter there was a scene showing Jessica still alive.  Up until that point I was convinced they were dead. Had that scene not played out, I might not have acted the same way.

And yes Wilco, that’s the choice I was on about.

Now Playing: Harold Halibut, Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Botany Manor, Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message, Under the Waves
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top