• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Until Dawn

Total Posts: 189

Joined 2010-06-26

PM

Will the site be reviewing this game? Cannot wait, got my copy pre ordered Smile It’s been getting some pretty decent reviews.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

nomadsoul - 25 August 2015 12:00 AM

Rami , one of the leading guy in the game has a new show going on, which is getting alot of fan following already. His stoned and on drugs personality is actual real life one, i thought if was just for the game.

Also good to see , Slater getting potentially a super hit TV series.

Oh is it Rami Malek from Mr Robot? I think Advie will like that he is Egyptian Grin He is an amazing actor in Mr Robot (if anyone hasn’t seen it, you really should), and he definitely deserves an Emmy for it.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

SoccerDude28 - 25 August 2015 05:16 PM
nomadsoul - 25 August 2015 12:00 AM

Rami , one of the leading guy in the game has a new show going on, which is getting alot of fan following already. His stoned and on drugs personality is actual real life one, i thought if was just for the game.

Also good to see , Slater getting potentially a super hit TV series.

Oh is it Rami Malek from Mr Robot? I think Advie will like that he is Egyptian Grin He is an amazing actor in Mr Robot (if anyone hasn’t seen it, you really should), and he definitely deserves an Emmy for it.

He is not acting perse, he is like this in real life Smile.
Was in my least priority of saving, but after Mr Robot pilot , i will give him chance to survive till end.

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Detective Mosely - 24 August 2015 07:38 PM

Really, the facial animations are way behind those games, as well as The Last of Us, Fallout 3, Mass Effect, Metal Gear Solid, GTA, and most other games on the PS3 or PS4 that strive for a photo-realism style.

After doing some digging I get the impression that this game didn’t have near the budget that games like those had.  But if that’s the case I think it should be selling for less than $60, which is what the most expensive AAA games go for.

I’m still interested, and am considering buying it, but presentation wise it’s not living up to the hype for me.

My hope would be that the gameplay and branching story more than make up for that though.

After viewing Until Dawn more, I’d say it suffers the same problem as L.A Noire really. The faces are too animated and rubbery. It hits the uncanny valley at times.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Based on the tube videos I have to say that although the game looks great- it’s not a huge leap in graphics quality over heavy rain.

I still like the game however and have it on my buy list.

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 93

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’m on my second playthrough and it’s not going quite as well as I expected. I thought having finished it once already would have made it easier for me to know what to do to get a perfect run but one of the teens, who survived during my first game, just got gruesomely impaled on a hook. It can definitely be a little tricky figuring out which butterfly effect moments can have the biggest impact.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

SamandMax - 26 August 2015 04:00 PM

I’m on my second playthrough and it’s not going quite as well as I expected. I thought having finished it once already would have made it easier for me to know what to do to get a perfect run but one of the teens, who survived during my first game, just got gruesomely impaled on a hook. It can definitely be a little tricky figuring out which butterfly effect moments can have the biggest impact.

If you get any walkthrough mentioning paths to save desired characters, do share.
I had same relation meter with ashley and josh, still
josh gets killed, regardless i pull lever either way, i tried to reload save on Sam first towel chase and she gets owned either way.
How to get undress version of Jess?
She got full insular on mike for me?
Also, i hope shortcuts are way to save her, because i took followfootsteps on 3rd choice and she got killed.

Great contrast in characters. I ended up liking Matt.
Still few hours to go.
Hope i save someone.

Edit:

There are already guides for saving all.
Good thing, will consult later.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Finished.
Damn the intensity and fear was so palpable in the last scene, cannot describe in words but the motion sensor use was genius to the say the least.
So wanted to save Sam so ended up losing almost all but her , Matt and Chris, didnt like Chris but he got quite alot of easy scenarios

Best adventure game i have played in years, better than Uncharted series, HeavyRain, Tombraider, Best survival horror since SH4.
Game made me so easy only because you can miss decisions and QTEs, never knew QTEs can be used to creatively. Some decisions were so tough and not knowing the imminent death makes it far more survival than any survival horror with more agency and guns, basically the fear of losing your whole decisions in past to save youself, keep piling up till the end and you still can lose them in the final act rendering your whole progress null.

One second of QTE and wham your character is lost, it really integrates and blends well with Horror survival setup. There is exploration that can hint deaths but they are hard to find and decipher and not a signal for immediate danger, which makes it a tough
challenge.

Silenthill, RE, Halloween,WrongTurn,TheDescent etc. like a love child of horror favs from all mediums.
Atmosphere which made original REs and SHs rad, with great screenplay,super creative camera work , natural voiceovers,  self aware , well written game.
Ending was subtle but really good, loved the Interviews covering the events

9.5/10

Edit:

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1102885

Sleeperhit, Canada perfect setting.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

WTH! So gruesome.  They are dropping like flies! At the rate this is going nobody is going to make it

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 27 August 2015 07:30 PM

WTH! So gruesome.  They are dropping like flies! At the rate this is going nobody is going to make it

Wait you must be doing something wrong, who died yet?
But my advice is finish the game in 2 sittings.
You must take sam to the end game at all cost, there it surpasses Uncharted and HR.
If you lose her in last chapter 10, then replay chapter to play the scene again.

Also tip for everyone i’d figured, in sensor hold still scenes, grab these

The grip part/handle whatever ,  hold it like any round thing e.g Bat or Bike handle.
All fingers away from buttons, Dpad, analog sticks, just hold the grip plastic tight, with both hands.
Joypad starts vibrating in later scenes and you have to absorb the shock, some on neogaf used carpet but its not effective as my trick.

Did all sensor scenes perfect, man last section with Sam was a killer.
That was feeling of horror movies as you are actually there, heart racing to the max.
Unless ofcourse you have zero attachment with character.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I’m on chapter 5 I think, Jess got killed, pulled out of the cabin and Josh got split in 2 by a saw Gasp
This last one is really surprising, I was not expecting it at all!
I want to finish the rest of the game in one sitting, hopefully by the weekend…

I immediately wanted to save Sam! Hayden will always be the “save the cheerleader, save the world” girl.

Edit: The “don´t move” sensor scenes are a great idea. I’ve read the Playstation Camera is also used but I’ve not connected it.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 28 August 2015 04:53 AM

I’m on chapter 5 I think, Jess got killed, pulled out of the cabin and Josh got split in 2 by a saw Gasp
This last one is really surprising, I was not expecting it at all!
I want to finish the rest of the game in one sitting, hopefully by the weekend…

I immediately wanted to save Sam! Hayden will always be the “save the cheerleader, save the world” girl.

Edit: The “don´t move” sensor scenes are a great idea. I’ve read the Playstation Camera is also used but I’ve not connected it.

Oh, thats fine keep playing. Wink

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

nomadsoul - 24 August 2015 05:06 PM

Mike Kelly, remember finger cutting scene in HR, well Untilldawn just topped that scene in its own version.
These scenes are so gruesome and detailed, made me look in other direction.
Maybe its the sounddesign by Jasongraves(Deadspace) that made it all more unnerving.
Smile

Reviewers having a field trip with this,

Sterling,

Until Dawn is everything that Quantic Dream games have tried to be – unsuccessfully – for the past decade. It emulates horror movies while demonstrating a clear understanding of what makes those movies work, its focus on consequence is nervewracking and intricate, and its story is silly but strongly delivered. It’s the best David Cage game not made by David Cage, and it’s the best interactive horror flick you’ll play.

The only downside is there’s not a token pothead. Supermassive Games needs to do a bit more genre research.

9.5/10
Superb

Yeah, this definitely feels like a Quantic Dream game written by someone else. That said, it’s not exactly well written, the dialog is pretty cringe-worthy, but if it can get to the end without completely unravelling, it’ll have Quantic Dream beat.

Life is Strange is also very post-Quantic Dream (and actually made by ex-Quantic Dream staff), and is better than anything QD has ever done (better than the 5 chapters I’ve played of UD as well).

Detective Mosely - 24 August 2015 07:38 PM

After doing some digging I get the impression that this game didn’t have near the budget that games like those had.  But if that’s the case I think it should be selling for less than $60, which is what the most expensive AAA games go for.

I rented the game, and I don’t think I’d find it worth $60, but it certainly looks like a AAA game to me. The animation is mismatched from the faces (I think they mocapped faces and then hand animated the bodies) but it’s still a gorgeous game.

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Frogacuda - 28 August 2015 11:32 PM
nomadsoul - 24 August 2015 05:06 PM

Mike Kelly, remember finger cutting scene in HR, well Untilldawn just topped that scene in its own version.
These scenes are so gruesome and detailed, made me look in other direction.
Maybe its the sounddesign by Jasongraves(Deadspace) that made it all more unnerving.
Smile

Reviewers having a field trip with this,

Sterling,

Until Dawn is everything that Quantic Dream games have tried to be – unsuccessfully – for the past decade. It emulates horror movies while demonstrating a clear understanding of what makes those movies work, its focus on consequence is nervewracking and intricate, and its story is silly but strongly delivered. It’s the best David Cage game not made by David Cage, and it’s the best interactive horror flick you’ll play.

The only downside is there’s not a token pothead. Supermassive Games needs to do a bit more genre research.

9.5/10
Superb

Yeah, this definitely feels like a Quantic Dream game written by someone else. That said, it’s not exactly well written, the dialog is pretty cringe-worthy, but if it can get to the end without completely unravelling, it’ll have Quantic Dream beat.

Life is Strange is also very post-Quantic Dream (and actually made by ex-Quantic Dream staff), and is better than anything QD has ever done (better than the 5 chapters I’ve played of UD as well

You must have a penchant for hipsters teen drama.
LifeisStrange is a French game with french understanding of US and dialogues tier versus screenplay by Fessenden writing who did similar work in The Last Winter movie and other award winning films, nope.
GTFO.
I mean fudge obviously, gosh

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

I rented it (thanks for the idea, Nomad), and yeah, I’m digging it.  It’s totally worth checking out.

Fun gameplay.  And there’s a shit ton of choices, many of which are tough to make.  So if you like this type of game you’ll like this.

It’s really not very scary, so that’s a concern for anyone, it needn’t be.  It’s more of a thriller type thing than something that’s actually going to keep anyone up at night.

And I take back some of my criticism of the graphics.  I’d say most of the time it looks great, but then occasionally things get really weird with people’s faces.  (particularly anytime anyone smiles - but thankfully that doesn’t happen too much due to the slasher theme)

Also later on in the game I hit a patch where the cutscenes started to look really choppy in a weird way.  The graphics aren’t a weak spot -  the backgrounds, in particular, look great -  but I still maintain that it doesn’t look as good as the best looking games on the PS3, let alone the PS4.

And with its length I still don’t think it should cost more than $40.  But if it sounds like something you’d be into, you probably won’t be disappointed.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top