• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

BeckyLady KestrelNico2021

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Fate of Atlantis…really?

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

tsa - 29 May 2014 03:43 PM

Anne (I never found out her real name because I quit the game in utter disgust) is a better candidate for this description than Sophia.

Ann Smith, which by the way isn’t her real name. I have to strongly disagree with you here, she is both a strong willed and capable character, in many ways not so different from Kate Walker from Syberia. She might come off a bit bland in the beginning, but that is only because she has some secrets that we aren’t told about yet.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 57

Joined 2009-07-07

PM

TimovieMan - 28 May 2014 03:57 PM

Reasonable point, but when I first played the game, I was just ecstatic to hear the Indy theme through my then-new Sound Blaster Pro card… Tongue
Besides, it’s not like the music is bad. Personally, I think it’s on par with that of The Secret of Monkey Island, but a step back from Monkey Island 2.

It’s not bad, but there’s nothing particularly memorable about it either, as far as I remember (not counting the Indy theme, of course).

wilco - 28 May 2014 08:52 PM

Oh screw it, I’m going to replay the game this weekend.

“It is so shocking to find out how many people do not believe that they can learn, and how many more believe learning to be difficult.”

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

I have to disagree about FOA having mediocre music.  I can still hear every theme in my head clear as day.  The music from that game always stuck with me.  It perfectly sets the mood for each area and provides a wonderful sense of atmosphere.

Joined 2009-07-07

PM

Lambonius - 30 May 2014 03:42 AM

I have to disagree about FOA having mediocre music.  I can still hear every theme in my head clear as day.  The music from that game always stuck with me.  It perfectly sets the mood for each area and provides a wonderful sense of atmosphere.

Might be just be, or warbled memories. I’ll report back after the weekend. Wink

“It is so shocking to find out how many people do not believe that they can learn, and how many more believe learning to be difficult.”

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

You don’t find music this good in the Indy movies:

I’d like to make one of these threads about Full Throttle. But I won’t…

(the game isn’t worth that amount of effort!)

Joined 2009-07-07

PM

Zifnab - 30 May 2014 04:09 AM

(the game isn’t worth that amount of effort!)

Frown

Total Posts: 1813

Joined 2005-10-23

PM

Whenever I think of trouble I think of Maureen.
Nah. He can flatten his own boxes.

Brilliant game, FT.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

tsa - 30 May 2014 04:25 AM

Whenever I think of trouble I think of Maureen.

Aahhh… that thick smell of asphalt!

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

FOA is one of my favourite games of all time for many reasons.

I see that the games strengths and weaknesses have been covered pretty thorough in this thread so I don’t have much to add since I agree with most of it (I’m really fond of Sophia though). Almost all of the weaknesses are things that comes with the games age according to me.

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Total Posts: 49

Joined 2014-05-28

PM

Fwiw, I just replayed the game using the wits path and enjoyed it a lot more.

Totally different game, and love that not only are the puzzles different, there are entirely different locations.

Best part?  NOT rescuing Sophia.

Yep, you heard me.

Was going through the motions in the outer Atlantean circle, and about to open her cell door to let her out, and then thought, “Wait a minute…why on Earth would I even CONSIDER rescuing this abomination of humanity if I don’t actually have to?”

I forged ahead without letting her out, which was doubly delicious since I had to actually go into the dungeon to get the gear from the robot, then leave..MUAHAHAHAHAHA.

Thinking the whole time, it would “force” me to go back for her at some point.  Nope, never.

Got all the way into the colossus and the final showdown with the Nazi Doctor, and then finally she rolls in possessed, gets zapped and then dies anyway.

It was glorious.  Watching that volcano sink against the sunset, while Indy stands alone on the sub.  Final words: “Poor, Sophia, she should have listened to me.”

Damn right, son.  Damn right.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Haha…I approve of that alternate ending.  Personally, I really dug the Indy/Sophia dynamic, but I’m also a massive Indyfan, so I may not be as discriminating as some.  Be sure and play the Fists path, too—there are some fun surprises there as well, and some alternate puzzles.  There’s really not any more fighting—pretty much every encounter has a puzzle solution that can be used to avoid combat.  Some of them are hilariously violent, too.  Wink

Total Posts: 49

Joined 2014-05-28

PM

Haha, right on, I’ll do it!

Seriously, the simple fact that you can leave her behind to rot has, for me, pushed this game swiftly from a low ranking to a definite spot in the top 5!  Well played, LucasArts, well played.

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2006-10-11

PM

blasphemy! Wink
glad u like it better now

Joined 2009-07-07

PM

Antaios - 30 May 2014 04:08 AM
Lambonius - 30 May 2014 03:42 AM

Might be just be, or warbled memories. I’ll report back after the weekend. Wink

I didn’t get nearly as far as I wanted with this (been playing The Blackwell Legacy and doing chores about the house as well), but I already realise I was wrong about the music, which is better than I remembered.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

CaptainRottingham -

Best part?  NOT rescuing Sophia.

Hehe, perfectly doable if you don’t like the character. Naughty

I did, though, and it never even occurred to me to NOT get her out of that cage, and to NOT free her from Nur-Ab-Sal’s possession, until I read about the alternate endings years later.

On a related note: the same goes for The Dig, it never occurred to me to stop the activated machine at the end to recover the crystals used so I could make more crystals and revive Maggie (and consequently get the bad ending). Until a friend pointed it out to me, and I just had to see it, of course.

Anyway, not rescuing Sophia feels wrong to me, which is probably why I never thought of doing that in the first place…

and then finally she rolls in possessed, gets zapped and then dies anyway.

Aren’t there two different endings? One where you don’t even let her out of the cage, and one where you leave her possessed by Nur-Ab-Sal? This sounds more like the latter to me.
I could be wrong, though. It’s the only part of the game I’ve only ever played once - I’ve rescued her all other 15+ times… Innocent

Lambonius -

Personally, I really dug the Indy/Sophia dynamic, but I’m also a massive Indyfan, so I may not be as discriminating as some.

Big Indy fan as well (OTOH, let’s just pretend Kingdom of the Crystal Skull doesn’t exist, ok?). Grin

Be sure and play the Fists path, too—there are some fun surprises there as well, and some alternate puzzles.  There’s really not any more fighting—pretty much every encounter has a puzzle solution that can be used to avoid combat.  Some of them are hilariously violent, too. Wink

^ This.

And for the fights you CAN’T avoid, there’s always the sucker-punch cheat. I think it’s the ‘Insert’/‘0’-key. Makes you one-hit-kill your opponent.
There’s a couple of characters where that doesn’t work, though, but these have more obvious means of taking them out without fighting…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top