• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Curse of Monkey Island…Really!

Total Posts: 49

Joined 2014-05-28

PM

I really think this is the best adventure game ever made.  The humor, the graphics, the musical score, the dialogue and voice casting, the character and landscape production design, the puzzles, the locations, the chapters/length, the story and characters, and the gameplay are all just..perfect.

I feel like this game is well-loved but gets sidelined compared to previous Monkeys and other adventure games because, well, it didn’t really innovate much.  Instead however, I feel it perfected so much of what had been tried before.  It’s the culmination of many different experiments and the result is amazing.

Specifically the look and sound are just awesome.  The live score really transports you, as does the amazing artwork.  There were moments in this game where I just stopped playing and looked at the images and listened to the music.

Casting Earl Boen as LeChuck is a stroke of genius, and all the other voice talent is impeccable as well. 

I’ve played COMI many times over the years and it never gets old.  I just wish there had been more like it, but alas, it slipped in right in that window of time after 2D graphics got REALLY good, but just before everyone switched to really bad 3D graphics.  It looks, feels, sounds like an animated feature film.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I really like CoMI as well. At times I don’t which I like more, MI2 or CoMI.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I wanted to write an elaborate post on why you’re wrong (I might still!) in FOA thread, but said - “Ah… the hell, not everyone needs to like it”, but after seeing the title of this thread I came with knifes readied… (yeah, yeah, I missed those exclamation marks. Also I should have known better to judge you by your nickname Tongue)

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Comi’s 2d art one of the best in ag history.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 4257

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

The Curse of Monkey Island is the first full-fledged AG I have played so I can’t judge it objectively (if such a thing is possible).

Great game.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Yeah, really!

Joined 2014-05-28

PM

diego - 28 May 2014 03:09 PM

I wanted to write an elaborate post on why you’re wrong (I might still!) in FOA thread, but said - “Ah… the hell, not everyone needs to like it”, but after seeing the title of this thread I came with knifes readied… (yeah, yeah, I missed those exclamation marks. Also I should have known better to judge you by your nickname Tongue)

Haha.  I encourage the reply on the other thread!  Part of why I wrote it was to find out all the reasons I must be horribly wrong Laughing

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’ll just quote myself a few times:

TimovieMan - 16 December 2012 11:31 AM

My top 10:

1. The Curse of Monkey Island

2-6 (in no particular order):

- Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
- Day of the Tentacle
- Full Throttle
- Grim Fandango
- Phoenix Wright, Ace Attorney

TimovieMan - 23 September 2013 06:52 AM

If you want the complete top 20, here it is:
Note: most of them don’t have an actual order because compiling a list like this is mostly done by comparing apples and oranges, imo. That’s why several get lumped together (and are thus sorted by approximate release date).

1. The Curse of Monkey Island
2-6. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis
2-6. Day of the Tentacle
2-6. Full Throttle
2-6. Grim Fandango
2-6. Phoenix Wright, Ace Attorney
7-8. The Dig
7-8. Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon

TimovieMan - 15 August 2013 07:26 PM

The Curse of Monkey Island is not only my favourite Monkey Island game, but it’s also my favourite adventure game period.
The artstyle was pure awesome, the game’s hilarious, beautiful and has great voice acting. Plus it introduced one of the funniest characters in any video game ever: Murray!
It’s also probably the game that I quote the most in real life. But that may be true for the entire series.

TimovieMan - 28 December 2012 11:53 AM

- The Curse of Monkey Island (replay) - *****: simply the best game of all time! This will always be my personal favourite!

TimovieMan - 08 November 2012 12:54 PM

Best/fav Adventure:
The Curse of Monkey Island - BEST… GAME… EVER!!!

Also, this:

Gabe - 28 May 2014 03:11 PM

Comi’s 2d art one of the best in ag history.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Definitely, Curse is the second best Monkey Island game I’ve ever seen! Grin

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Good game, they don’t make them like this anymore. Not quite on par with MI1 or 2 though. I don’t actually find Murray that funny. Certainly not as much as the necklace in MI1. Maybe he was overused. Also his voice annoys me, as well as LeChuck’s voice in MI3.

Total Posts: 683

Joined 2010-02-05

PM

Zifnab - 28 May 2014 05:49 PM

Also his voice annoys me, as well as LeChuck’s voice in MI3.

What?!?!?!?!!!

Maybe you liked this guy better

I Am the Knight of the Order of the Sun!

Joined 2014-05-28

PM

Woah that definitely doesn’t sound like Earl Boen.  Yet he is credited with voicing LeChuck in episodes 4 and 5 of “Tales.”

Did they actually use someone else for just a few of the episodes of a single game??

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

CaptainRottingham - 28 May 2014 09:25 PM

Woah that definitely doesn’t sound like Earl Boen.  Yet he is credited with voicing LeChuck in episodes 4 and 5 of “Tales.”

Did they actually use someone else for just a few of the episodes of a single game??

They didn’t get him originally, but were able to secure his services a little later into the season.  Then they went back, re-voiced, and patched the first episode or two so that they all had Earl’s voice.  So, if you buy the game now, you’ll only get Earl Boen.

Joined 2014-05-28

PM

Ah yes, I see now.  From Wiki:

However, Boen was initially absent from Telltale Games’ Tales of Monkey Island; LeChuck was instead voiced by Adam Harrington in the first chapter,[4] with Kevin Blackton voicing the human version of the character in the subsequent chapters. Boen returned to the role for the final two chapters, in which LeChuck is restored to his undead form; Boen has since recorded Harrington’s lines for the first chapter for the DVD release of the game.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I tend to disagree. I never liked Curse of Monkey Island much. They changed the style completely, and the game never felt like a pirate adventure to me, more like a morning Disney cartoon (beautifully drawn, but still). At the same time, they basically stole everything from previous Monkey Island games as far as story and design goes, turning brilliant ideas like insult swordfighting into tedious activities. The game feels very lazy, like a holiday tour around familiar places. And to add to this feeling, they included a lot of postmodern references, like hotels, resorts, businessmen, luna parks, etc. Escape from Monkey Island pushed it further, but CoMI started the trend. Even Stan who used to sell ships and coffins, started selling life insurances!

I also dislike the fact that it relies on dialogues so much. Not everyone remembers, but Monkey Island 1-2 had very little dialogue. Their humour varied greatly, Ron and Tim came up with all sort of imaginable stuff (stealing the idol part alone is a masterpiece of comedy writing). Curse is dialogue-heavy, yet very light on comedy. Of course, Murray is always great and adds a lot to the enjoyment, but either than him there’s not much to see. One can tell that the game was designed by artists, not designers. And the ending part is probably one of my least favourite endings in all adventure games.

OR maybe I just like bashing LucasArts games Smile

Oh yes, and I will never forgive designers for what they did to the Wally character.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Doom - 29 May 2014 02:05 AM

Not everyone remembers, but Monkey Island 1-2 had very little dialogue.

I guess my memory’s betraying me, because I’m quite sure that’s false. Can you quantify “very little” dialogue?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top