• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Sefir

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Book of Unwritten Tales 2

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Funny launch trailer, fitting with the game.

Never seen the Dragon Age one (haven’t played it) feels like a ripoff/homage of the Pippin song from Lord of the Rings…

Total Posts: 27

Joined 2013-01-06

PM

Game is released on Steam
http://store.steampowered.com/app/279940/

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

I was just going to post that it got released!  I am playing chapter 5. I am so excited.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Thanks! Downloading…

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

wilco - 19 February 2015 12:49 PM

Never seen the Dragon Age one (haven’t played it) feels like a ripoff/homage of the Pippin song from Lord of the Rings…

I thought it felt closer to The Hobbit’s Far Over the Misty Mountains Cold. Cool

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2005-03-08

PM

I’ve come a little late and signed in to Early Access the last weekend. This is a pleasure to play without being any kind of revolution, and the only way I can see this really disappointing anyone is the humor not being to personal taste. To me it’s quite similar to the original Simon games, minus the cute main cast, as Simon certainly had a bit of a jerk thing going on.

German reviews are good so far, but remarkably the original Book Of Unwritten Tales had received some of its biggest praise abroad, which is unusual: highest marks of both The Escapist and IGN staff, amongst others. Some of the reviews critizise an apparent lack of complexity in puzzles, but there’s tons of them (mostly the classic inventory kind) and they’re varied, and I’ve seen German press praise games for supposedly complex puzzle design that arguably violates each one of Ron Gilbert’s Classic Adventure Game Rules(TM) prior. This mostly really doesn’t, and as seasoned adventure gamers you probably know yourself that inventory and object interaction can quickly turn to absurd encounters of the cat hair sirup moustache kind as it’s very easy to get completely wrong. As object interaction was rarely ever explored further from that 1990s formula, in the classic inventory conundrum many objects you may carry around, but MacGuyver you never are, as you rely on the one problem solution the designer has set up—and him nudging you into the general direction and telling you about your overall goal in the first place. The puzzles may often only work within the frameworks of a comic and fantasy world, but unlike oh so many games it seems they’re clever enough to recognize the pitfalls and avoid being overly convulted up-front. Naturally nothing of that would be much fun it the game’s world, the characters and humor would fall flat, but even some of the supporting cast is quite fun (totally dig the tabloid fox).

A game well worth of some support. Smile

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2014-03-05

PM

Yay! Finally I’ll be able to play the full game after refraining from playing too much of the Early Access version (that was a long wait :p ). For backers, King Art have kind of a strange method of sending us GOG keys (if we want them, we must message their support board to swap the Steam keys out) so idk how long that’s going to take, but it’ll be worth it for the advantage of no DRM.

Joined 2013-01-06

PM

Skyrim, Minecraft, Game of Thrones…

Joined 2005-03-08

PM

doktor1 - 20 February 2015 04:05 AM

Skyrim, Minecraft, Game of Thrones,

And a little more to the right, Masters Of The Universe. Thumbs Up  The good thing though is that it isn’t all homage, parody and satire though (Pyst, anyone). I’m surprised that some scenes carry some dramatic and emotional punch too, and there are quite a number of plot twists, which I personally didn’t expect. It’s naturally all mostly rather light-hearted, but it’s quite a fun ride.

Total Posts: 21

Joined 2014-03-05

PM

samIamsad - 20 February 2015 04:07 AM
doktor1 - 20 February 2015 04:05 AM

Skyrim, Minecraft, Game of Thrones,

And a little more to the right, Masters Of The Universe. Thumbs Up  The good thing though is that it isn’t all homage, parody and satire though (Pyst, anyone). I’m surprised that some scenes carry some dramatic and emotional punch too, and there are quite a number of plot twists, which I personally didn’t expect. It’s naturally all mostly rather light-hearted, but it’s quite a fun ride.

Hold up…is that design on the thing in the middle inspired by Sully from Monsters Inc?

Joined 2013-01-06

PM

Diffenret version but yeah…

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

This looks very very promising. The visuals are impressive to be sure.

My only concern might be any “absurdity level” concerning the plot. I know this is a comedy game and it spoofs several franchises, but beyond all the in-jokes and humor I’d still hope for a plot that holds up.

Reading this from the GOG page made worry a bit:

“But fate does not rest. A darkness has fallen upon the land, or rather, a pinkness. A magic force is turning mighty beasts into fluffy plush puppies and towering castles into oversized dollhouses. Every world needs its heroes. However unlikely they may seem.”

I should note that I haven’t played the first game to completion (yet). For some reason I stopped playing after 3-4 hours into the game, so I may not be fully versed into some of the goings-on that may explain the plot for the sequel.

And if this is going to be the “Spaceballs: The Movie” of Adenturegames, then maybe I should just set my expectations right
Laughing

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

My most satisfying Kickstarter game, no doubt about it.

This isn’t a revolutionary game by any means. No “stream-lining”. No modern “updates” (besides the ones already in BouT1). You can still “look at” things. Tongue
King Art just delivered exactly what they promised (and what I payed for). A traditonnal adventure game, gorgeous to look at, full of humour, 20-30 hours long. And they did so in a timely manner too.

Several thumbs up from me here. Smile

Honestly I’d quite happily kickstart another one.  Wink

Joined 2005-03-08

PM

The premise might sound a little silly, but whilst I personally think the antagonists are a bit on the weaker side so far bar a twist or two, they’re just not very threatening in my opinion even by comedy standards (it’s no Monkey 2 in that regard, which also had a seriously darker side complete with limbs gone missing and on-screen torture anyway), the protagonists, some of their chemistry, make up for it. It’s no high drama, but the interactions between them is very enjoyable, and the side-kicks who each talk Gibberish in their own way are always good for some comedy relief, and sometimes surprsingly, more than that (N8, Tschiep-Tschiep and naturally, Vieh/Critter). Additionally, as argued, this isn’t a straight parody, whilst there’s tons of digs at all kinds of pop-culture and fantasy stuff, within the personalities of the cast too, and there’s equally the ever so popular breaking of the fourth wall (“just a game, is it?”) the game’s also interested in portraying a coherent fantasy world in and on itself.

A.A - 20 February 2015 04:37 AM

My most satisfying Kickstarter game, no doubt about it.
A traditonnal adventure game, gorgeous to look at, full of humour, 20-30 hours long. And they did so in a timely manner too.

Several thumbs up from me here. Smile

Honestly I’d quite happily kickstart another one.  Wink

Basically a bit of what Tim Schafer and Double Fine pitched back in 2012 (on a much slighter budget). (Nothing against Tim, his writing and characterization are still a class of their very own as should be obvious to anyone from the recent Grim Fandango Remaster—adventure gaming is in desperate need of calibres like his). It’s just an already completely fully-fledged and finished “old school” game that minus the screen resolutions and 3D technology could have been released alongside Simon 2, Discworld 2 and Monkey 3 in 1997 without any corners being cut, so to speak. Personally I’m close to 20 hours in and still more than a chapter away from finishing, which is also in parts due to the many dialogues (which are luckily incredibly well and prominently cast in the original German release). But I think KING Art didn’t cut many corners for the localizations for the foreign releases either, which would explain why again some of the most positive reviews are from foreign territories so far. According to KING Art, to them this is a bit of a test of how far you can still go if you invest some more serious money into a fully-fledged commercial old school adventure game, on international markets as well, so by all means, check it out.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/the-book-of-unwritten-tales-2

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

subbi - 20 February 2015 04:29 AM

My only concern might be any “absurdity level” concerning the plot. I know this is a comedy game and it spoofs several franchises, but beyond all the in-jokes and humor I’d still hope for a plot that holds up…

And if this is going to be the “Spaceballs: The Movie” of Adenturegames, then maybe I should just set my expectations right
Laughing

Don’t worry, even though it contain many homages to other games/movies/books it is not a spoof game! The whole plot is 100% original and I must add also very good, with several plot twist and a very funny script. The Disneyfication of the world is only one of the plot-threads, and there is also something darker and more sinister going on.

But I would strongly recommend that you finish the first game before playing this one.

samIamsad - 20 February 2015 05:28 AM

Basically a bit of what Tim Schafer and Double Fine pitched back in 2012 (on a much slighter budget).

In all fairness to Double fine, the kickstarter for BoUT2 was not for the full game, they have spend far more on it than what they got from the Kickstarter, and the game would have been made regardless of the Kickstarter. It was only to make some improvements to the game.

samIamsad - 20 February 2015 05:28 AM

Personally I’m close to 20 hours in and still more than a chapter away from finishing, which is also in parts due to the many dialogues (which are luckily incredibly well and prominently cast in the original German release). But I think KING Art didn’t cut many corners for the localizations for the foreign releases either, which would explain why again some of the most positive reviews are from foreign territories so far.

Because of a bug I actually heard the original German voice acting for Ivo in one of the dialogues, and it actually surprised me a bit because I thought that it was nowhere near as good as the English voice for her, so that could also explain why the most positive reviews are for the English release.

Anyway so far I have spend 25 hours on the game, though a couple of these are because of some bugs in the early version, and I am planning on spending this evening playing the last chapter.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top