• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04chrissieDaleOOUS

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

First adventure game that really did it for you..

Total Posts: 50

Joined 2007-01-17

PM

I can remember my first RPG was Might & Magic III but my first adventure game that did it for me was the secret of Monkey Island.The good old days.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

When I was little I used to watch my brother play adventure games such as The Secret of Monkey Island on the Amiga, and while I didn’t understand English yet I started screwing around with the various adventure games myself as well, just enjoying the silly interactions and such.

So from an very early age I was smitten with the genre, though the first game I really, really enjoyed - understanding the language, being more properly in control of the game - was the original Broken Sword. Amazing game I bought on a whim simply because I liked the few scenes from the game shown on the back of the box.

Total Posts: 56

Joined 2012-08-27

PM

The first adventure games to utterly lose me in their game-verse were Infocom classics: Zork trilogy, Hitchiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, Bureaucracy (never beat that one), Nord & Bert Couldn’t Make Head or Tale of It, and Trinity. Trinity somehow managed to be beautiful without any graphics outside the mind. I was in a special program in high school with daily access to Apple IIc’s & IIe’s. I’d stay after finishing my schoolwork and play until 7 pm sometimes.

In the early 90’s, there was a computer game rental shop in our area (not far from college) which allowed us to try many games. Rentals were 3-day, 7 day, or a bit more. Then you could pay a range of prices to keep a game (depending on how many times it had been played already. The idea was the floppies degraded a bit with each use.) This is when I tried so many adventures that I confused a number of them later on. Back then adventure games were insanely expensive, so you needed a deal like this or a lot of rich friends (or both) to keep up with the big name games. Sadly the fellow was forced out of business by big company lawyers. They insisted that his rentals cut into their profit by promoting piracy. Actually, they gave people a way to legitimately buy some of their games who couldn’t do so otherwise. His overall sales suggested people would buy more adventures if the prices were more reasonable ($20 instead of $100.)

The publishers didn’t want to hear that back then.

After that, all we could do was keep an eye out in places where we might find computer games discounted or second-hand. I think a lot of people went back to console games, actually.

At that point, I owned only a few big name games outright, but Myst was one of them, and my hubby had worked very hard to make that a possibility. (It was bought new.) Even if it hadn’t been such a classic, I would have loved it a bit more for that fact, I think. Several more adventures came with the hardware (soundcard & cd drive) we bought to play Myst st home. I got 7th Guest, Return to Zork, Journeyman Project Turbo (1), Labyrinth, and several more games about this time. I enjoyed all of them but Myst was my very favorite game for a lot of years.

I remember Hugo’s House of Horrors too. The college sold it on shareware disks for $2 each. It was lots of fun for only $2 back then. Smile

Later I found deals on Sierra & Infocom collections at a local shop, and these cd only packs of games at Walmart. Wonder if anyone else remembers those? They sometimes had adventures in them and were discounted frequently.

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2014-03-03

PM

For me, it was Myst.  Way back when I was a little 10 year old.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

I didnt know back then that these PnCs were called Adv games. I had my experiences of AGs
in the form of Cyberia and Snowjob on 3DO.

Clocktower and Blazing dragons got me interested in PnCs, then brokensword sealed the deal.

After that i started hunting all PnCs.

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2010-06-20

PM

That was The Black Mirror - first AG ever bought. I used some of my Christmas money and the game was so worth it!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top