• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

First adventure game that really did it for you..

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2013-04-13

PM

wow. words can’t express how identical i feel to so many of these replies! such an awesome thread, you guys are great Grin love how everyone is throwing down the sierra love.

for me personally it was probably hero’s quest. i played sq1 aand kq1 but to this day i feel that hq had the best mechanics and fun factor of any hybrid adventure/rpg game ever. i also loved conquests of the longbow! The music and setting were perfect. personally i think the adlib compositions sound better than the roland versions. i still fire it up from time to time just to head down to the fens to saturate my senses in that dismal medieval sounding melody. Smile

sq4, kq5 and qfg3 will always stand out in my memory too as the first vga games i ever experienced and remain some of my favs. loved the kyrandia games too, which don’t seem to get much love. the soundtrack in kyrandia 1 was as great as conquests.

beyond that you guys have basically said it all. cant believe how much i agree lol

btw, if others agree that text/parser interface were the highest level of interactivity, why doesn’t someone try to make a new high-res game with parser?  i always felt like that would be great to fluidly incorpoate both interfaces of clicking/typing

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

syn - 13 January 2014 07:47 AM

btw, if we all agree that text/parser interface was the highest level of interactivity, why doesn’t someone try to make a new high-res game with parser?  i always felt like that would be great to fluidly incorpoate both interfaces of clicking/typing

I’m not sure how successful that game would be, since we’re “spoiled” with hotspot higlighter, smart cursor… Even Legend Entertainment games are slightly underrated, and are a perfect blend of text parser/point and click, along with Larry 7.

What I’d like to see is more “manual input” puzzles like in The Awakened. It’s not much, but it’s a beginning. Smile

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

btw, if others agree that text/parser interface were the highest level of interactivity, why doesn’t someone try to make a new high-res game with parser?  i always felt like that would be great to fluidly incorpoate both interfaces of clicking/typing

Bot Colony? Don’t know how good it is.

http://www.botcolony.com/

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

loved the kyrandia games too, which don’t seem to get much love.

I loved the Kyrandia series as a kid. I recently replayed Kyrandia 2&3. I still think Hand of Fate is one of the better non-Lucas games from the 90’s, but Malcolms Revenge wasn’t as good as I remembered it. There were so many tedious sections, like navigating the jungle with the machete while constantly removing ticks, playing tic tac toe with the terrible queen and then there’s the cat gems… I had to save and reload over 50 times before getting all 6 gem stones! There’s also a lot of computer generated graphics in the background art which I find to be vastly inferior to the handpainted beauty of Hand of Fate. However, I like how there’s multiple solutions to a lot of the puzzles. I’ll replay the first game in the series in the nearest future, which I suspect will inherit Malcom’s Revenge’s position as my second favourite Kyrandia game Smile

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

I had a horrible time with Malcolm’s Revenge due to bugs, too (the programming kind, not the kind you have to constantly pick off while wading through the jungle.)  Wink  It took me forever to finally get that game running correctly.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Kyrandia 2 is the best game of the lot IMO. The first was merely okay but the 3rd is borderline horrible.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Kyrandia 2 is a bonafide classic. Kyrandia one is very good, but definitely has some annoying sequences that are a product of its time.

Total Posts: 191

Joined 2004-12-30

PM

tomimt - 13 January 2014 02:19 PM

Kyrandia 2 is the best game of the lot IMO. The first was merely okay but the 3rd is borderline horrible.

Suddenly I don’t feel so bad about quitting Kyrandia 3 after an hour or two of play.

Warning- People won’t have as much of a sense of humor about you putting an Alka Seltzer in your mouth then staggering into a restaurant while shouting “THE VIRUS HAS MUTATED!” as you’d hope they would.

Consider this: People say “Ewwww!!!” when they hear about a guy having a hairy bum or hairy back, yet every Teddy Bear ever made has had both a hairy bum AND a hairy back and nobody complains about them; In fact, people think Teddy Bears are adorable.

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2014-01-05

PM

The Curse of Monkey Island

I remember my sister and I had to go to yet another “boring” parent’s friends lunch but, luckily, their kids had a computer with TCoMI installed. And they have invited their friends from neighbourhood to help them solve the puzzles. At the end of the day, with all of our mind powers combined and a little help from walkthrough we successfully switched to 2 CD. Sadly, I had to wait another 10 years to finally play it on my own.

Recently played: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons 5/5, Bioshock 2 4/5, Tomb Raider (2013) 3/5 Looking forward to: Gibbous, Saint Kotar

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2013-04-13

PM

hmm interesting thoughts about kyrandia. I probably like the first one the most… however I can admit that cave part in the middle is PAINFUL. I played through 1 recently and I’m currently replaying 3. There are a lot of tedious puzzles in 3, it is true, however I really dig the art style.  The 3d rendered type animations really added a new dimension to the game imo. The sound track is great too, particularly the song from the beginning on the Kyrandia island. I’m going to play through Hand of Fate after I finish Malcolm’s Revenge to see how I ultimately rate them all but for me I think it’s 1, 3, 2. I played 2 the least so there might just be a lot I don’t remember about it’s greatness.  will see! Smile

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Easy, it was “Trinity’ on the C128. I loved this game and bought all the infocom C128 adventure games after playing it. This was back in 1986 and I’ve got to replay this game - I have it on the PC on a “Best of Infocom” disk.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2009-04-20

PM

The Mystery of the Druids was the first adventure game i bought. I was mostly into FPS games at the time, and i’d just started to consider looking for more variety. It was very much a chance purchase, i was simply browsing in a Game store, or Electronic Boutique it may have been then. And the scary cover on the game box got my attention.

I really loved the game, varied characters, enjoyable story playing as a Scotland Yard detective, investigating murders, searching for clues, gathering objects, talking to NPC’s , mind boggling puzzles (albeit some were truly illogical, Angry, lol) I couldn’t wait to see how it would end! and i loved the twist in the middle.

It’s the template i look for in my adventure games… minus the illogical puzzles of course Grin

It’s funny sometimes how a chance purchase can get you into a genre. Same thing happended when i picked up a little game called, Oblivion, on sale in a ToysRus store.

Total Posts: 200

Joined 2006-05-29

PM

My introduction to the Adventure genre was Simon The Sorcerer and Discworld. It would’ve been the mid 90s and my friend had them for PC. I remember going over to his house being a rare treat, as his mum was weirdly strict and would only allow 1 friend in the house at a time - with the added frustration that he also had a younger brother and his friends counted towards the limit, too.

My friend would control the characters and I’d help suggest puzzle solutions. I have a distinct memory of the moment the solution for what to do with the beans in StS flashed into my mind as I was leaving. I was so smug when I later heard I was right and I guess it’s that same smug feeling I’ve been chasing all these years later.

I recall begging my parents for a PC, then finally getting one and blasting through all the LucasArts classics - in a way, this was a mistake, as my younger-self had no problem with using walkthroughs or hint lines; there seemed to be loads of Adventure Games and no danger of running out… I wish I could wipe my memory of those titles and play them all for the first time now that I’m older and more patient/willing to solve things myself. I wasn’t until Grim Fandango that I realised the games were an experience to be savoured and I believe that was the first Adventure I completed without using hints of any kind.

I had my first experience of dead ends with Space Quest IV and Kings Quest VI. While I’d been enjoying the games up until that point - aside from some of the more random deaths - realising the game was in an unwinnable was hugely aggravating and unheard of in the games I was most familiar with. That frustration fostered a lifelong hatred of Adventures with dead ends, I just consider them to be broken - they have to be pretty damn special in other departments for me to tolerate them at all, these days.

Total Posts: 93

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’ve been playing adventure games as long as I can remember and I mean that in the most literal way possible, some of my earliest memories are of playing Police Quest on our Tandy 1000 and this was probably at age 4 or 5 when my ability to write was basically at the level where I could just enter rooms and type “look”. The first two PQ games, King’s Quest 1-4, Hero’s Quest, Mixed-Up Mother Goose and The Black Cauldron were games I spent hundreds of hours on and they essentially taught me how to read and write and are ingrained in my brain to this day. I could probably write out every single line of text you need to enter to beat PQ1 in order from memory.

Total Posts: 30

Joined 2013-03-30

PM

I remember the very first adventure game I played. It was SRAM, a text-based game. Very difficult for a kid (I’m 31 now), I never finished it.
The first game which hooked me was an other french production, “Les Voyageurs du Temps” (“Future Wars” in english).

The game which definitly convinced me that adventure games were my favorite kind of games, “The Secret of Monkey Island”. Still my #1…  Cool  Cool (ex aequo with MI 2, of course…  Grin )
(edit : I have to be honest and pay tribute to the 2 aaaaaaawesome Indiana Jones I played before the two first MI.)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top