• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissieDalewalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

First adventure game that really did it for you..

Total Posts: 268

Joined 2008-07-05

PM

Dag - 09 January 2014 10:58 PM
Gonzosports - 09 January 2014 10:34 PM
Dag - 09 January 2014 08:19 PM

I got exactly that feeling you describe when I played Kings Quest 1 for the first time. I don’t remember exactly what year it was, but somewhere between 1987-89. I had played a text adventure based on The Hobbit before this…

aaaah, the old text The Hobbit. I didn’t play it but I’ve heard (and read) about it: http://www.filfre.net/2012/11/the-hobbit/

Yes! That’s the one! Fond memories Smile

Me too Dag, me too. Think it was back in 1984 (for me at least) if my memory serves me correctly. The quote “Thorin sits down and sings about gold” takes me straight back lol.

After that, I guess it was GK2 (as well for me). I’d only just got a PC at that time and had only recently moved to Munich. An English guy I met by chance showed it to me & we spent a few evenings going through it (back in the days before easy internet access Wink ). The writing quality & how it portrayed Munich & surroundings was something quite special for me at that time.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

subbi - 10 January 2014 05:58 AM

Is it just me, or is the main reason this game has been overseen by most of the gaming community simply due to it’s “awful” title?

For me, it’s the game’s over-reliance on random event triggers and a particularly annoying forest maze.  I think I wandered around aimlessly in Longbow more than in any other Sierra game.

Also, Hero’s Quest did a lot of things that Longbow did, and first.  And with much tighter and more developed gameplay mechanics.  Wink

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Dag - 09 January 2014 08:19 PM

17 years later, and I’m still searching for a game that can recreate that feeling. Broken Age seems like a possible candidate, but who knows.. maybe I’m too old to feel like that again? What a depressing thought…

It really needs to be both a good game and “correspond” to your current mood - for example, I’ve disbanded Secrets of Da Vinci few years ago, but now (a little bit motivated with hunger for history & Da Vinci), I’m quite enjoying it. I might not be blown away by it, but having that “morning urge” to play the game as soon you wake up is good enough. Smile

Of course, it’s hard to match your first adventure experience when you still haven’t played many games, but also in 90s there were so many good games that you couldn’t miss one even if you’d wanted to. Nowadays, as I said (even though there’s at least equal amount of games produced) you need to look deeper to find what will really “do for you”.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Lambonius - 10 January 2014 01:33 PM
subbi - 10 January 2014 05:58 AM

Is it just me, or is the main reason this game has been overseen by most of the gaming community simply due to it’s “awful” title?

For me, it’s the game’s over-reliance on random event triggers and a particularly annoying forest maze.  I think I wandered around aimlessly in Longbow more than in any other Sierra game.

Also, Hero’s Quest did a lot of things that Longbow did, and first.  And with much tighter and more developed gameplay mechanics.  Wink

Yes, there you hit a particular low point of the game. There are a few of those random events, especially the problematic ‘catch the pixie’ one. But once you know when and where it does not detract from the enjoyment of playing.

Most of the ‘days’ are really fun, such as the save the widows son’s day.

What I also really like is that you don’t walk around with dozens of inventory items, and being required to construct weird devices or try out endless combinations of items. Rubber-ducky-puzzle anyone?

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

It’s hard for me to say. I was into adventure games from a pretty early age.

Hugo’s House of Horrors was the first one I had on my own computer at home and really got into, as well as the sequels. I don’t really think it was anything about them in particular other than having an on-screen character to control (I hadn’t yet played any Sierra or Lucas adventures)

But when I got a 486 for my bar mitzvah in September of 1994, I had a whole new world of computer games open up to me that simply wouldn’t before. There were three adventure games I got in the months that followed and I’m not sure I could confidently say what order I played them in. I’m pretty sure it was:

Space Quest IV: The hand-painted backgrounds, the humor… this game blew me away, and I didn’t even have the talkie version—at least not until maybe a year later. Just like the Hugo games, I didn’t beat it for a very long time, getting stuck about 3/4 through, as was my fate with many adventures, but it made me a fan and I started seeking out Sierra adventures after that.

Myst: This one had become a phenomenon almost overnight, and I believe it came out on Windows a few months after I got my new computer. The tone was such a radical departure from what I normally thought of as gaming, and it just seemed so adult and so surreal. I got very immersed in its world, feverishly jotting down notes and trying to piece together the puzzles.

Under a Killing Moon: I had read about this around when I got my new computer, but I didn’t get it just yet. I’m pretty sure I played it a little after Myst, because I remember seeing pictures and assuming it was pre-rendered in the same way. Then I saw the game at a friends house and I went to play it and those environments… the MOVED! I couldn’t believe it was real-time. It looked even better than Doom. I got the game shortly thereafter and got totally sucked in. I’m pretty sure this was the first adventure game I actually finished, thanks in no small part to the built in hints.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I got my first PC for my Confirmation in 1993. My dad somehow got his hands on some pirated games on floppies (I still don’t know how he got them, but then, I still don’t know where anyone got original games either back then - you just didn’t find that anywhere pre-1995).
Amongst the games were three in particular that stood out. Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards, which was funny and enticing, so naturally I loved it (especially since I was 12, pubescent and horny Tongue). Then there was Space Quest which I absolutely HATED (because it was like Larry but without the funny and with lots and lots of dying). In fact, I never got passed that stalking spider-thingy when you first land on the planet, even after hundreds of attempts. That game frustrated me to no end.

But the third game was the one that started my love for adventure games. And that game was Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. It was a pirated 5-floppy version (so non-talkie), but it was simply amazing and so much better than all those dumb platformer games (never liked the original Prince of Persia and Commander Keen and the likes) and a nice change of pace from sports or racing games.
Being a movie buff and big Indiana Jones fan helped of course.

Plus, a cousin of mine had a PC as well then, and we were competing to finish the game first (I won with flying colours, even if he was already at Crete when I just started the game Nerd). Playing the game itself was awesome (especially because I still find it an absolutely great game), but having the chance to talk about it with someone else made it reach a whole different level.

So naturally, I showed off the game to just about anyone back then. Got a couple of friends interested in adventure games because of that, even. Cool
Actually, I’m lucky I had several adventure-gaming friends during the Golden Age of AGs. Made it all the more fun. Sadly, most of them either don’t game anymore, or at least left the genre. Meh
Sucks to be them, imo. Cool Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

TimovieMan - 10 January 2014 06:50 PM

Then there was Space Quest which I absolutely HATED (because it was like Larry but without the funny and with lots and lots of dying).

I’m assuming this was a typo and that you actually meant, “It was like Larry but funnier and with less random deaths.”

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Shifty Eyed

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 449

Joined 2006-11-20

PM

Man, that was a LOT of brain cells ago! I’m positive my first gaming experience, and the one that got me hooked, was playing the first Zork text adventure on my dad’s computer at the time (1980?), which was either the Osborne 1, or the TRS-80. Almost had to be the TRS-80 now that I think about it….I don’t think the Osborne ran DOS. I recall playing with a buddy whose parents couldn’t afford a computer, and boy did we have a blast.

He and I had started working for Boeing in early 1979, and snuck into one of the giant computer rooms in the factory one day to see how all the blueprints got printed up, and that had to be what interested us in exploring what else a computer could do. My dad was (is) a physicist that always had an incredible imagination, and I’m pretty sure he helped us buy the original game to make sure it would work on his machine.

“You are standing in an open field west of a white house…..”, and off we went. Good times!

Life is too short to drink bad wine…

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

As a kid I had both Deja Vu and Shadowgate on the Nintendo.  Apparently they were some of the very first point and click adventure games ever made, but I had no idea what adventure games were at that time.  But I loved the hell out of these games, and spent a lot of time at a friend’s house trying futilely to solve Shadowgate with him.

A couple years after that I played Maniac Mansion on the computer and fell in love with it.  Even though again it was notoriously hard, it was very interesting and there was always something new to discover.  I still didn’t really know this was a genre of its own though.

Then finally, I played King’s Quest 6 one summer when I was visiting relatives of mine and I once again fell in love.  And this time it finally lead me into seeking out more adventure games.

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

diego - 10 January 2014 01:49 PM

I might not be blown away by it, but having that “morning urge” to play the game as soon you wake up is good enough. Smile.

Danganronpa totally gave me that feeling.  And that is very rare for me nowadays.  Check it out, guys!

Total Posts: 188

Joined 2004-03-18

PM

It was Mixed-Up Mother Goose for me, if we’re counting that. If not, then The Black Cauldron. Most of the appeal of adventures to me was exploring what at the time were the most beautiful and immersive environments in gaming.

I had some friends who always had a new Sierra game (KQ1 SCI, KQ5 and SQ3 are the ones I remember most from their house), and wished that I had a computer capable of running the newer games.

At around the same time period, I became obsessed with the NES version of Maniac Mansion. Still love that music:

I went through an adventure game drought which felt like forever but was probably around 2 years, until finally 20 years ago this month (January 1994) I purchased a used 386 from a friend of my mom’s for $100 (no monitor). I borrowed money from my mom to buy a monitor for about $120, and I was finally in business. Conquests of Camelot came first, and that might have been all I had until my birthday in March. After that, it was Sierra-fest 1994 for me, and the rest is history (well, it’s beyond the scope of this thread).

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2013-01-03

PM

it was fantastic reading these replies Smile

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

Monkey Island 1&2 for me.

Especially LCR. I remember reading the walkthrough for it as a kid in the local computer magazine. I read it dozens of times in the early ‘92, imagining every scene how it could look like, while saving money to buy 11 (used, they were cheaper) floppy disks and go to the local “pirate” (back then it was impossible to buy legal games in Serbia for years to come).

When I finally did it, it was such a joy. Luckily the walkthrough that I’ve read had many errors and omissions, so I still had a lot of fun working out puzzles, but the greatest enjoyment came from the feeling of immersion (especially in the 2nd part) in that beautiful world, freedom of exploration and “teleportation” to that tropical paradise that was such a contrast to the grim reality that surrounded me at that time.

Total Posts: 188

Joined 2004-03-18

PM

Bogi - 12 January 2014 09:25 PM

I remember reading the walkthrough for it as a kid in the local computer magazine. I read it dozens of times in the early ‘92, imagining every scene how it could look like…

I had a similar experience. I would sit in the bookstore often on Friday nights in ‘92-‘93 reading the walkthroughs from the King’s Quest Companion. I vicariously experienced the games through those walkthroughs and longed to actually play them. When I finally got to play them, I played them following the KQC walkthroughs to the letter, and loved them. I’ve still never played the original versions of 1-6 without walkthroughs. Same with SQ4 and 5 (Space Quest Companion). I do not regret this at all.

Then in the late fall of ‘93 I received that season’s InterAction magazine and read it over and over and over. I was especially drawn to Freddy Pharkas: Frontier Pharmacist and The Adventures of Willy Beamish. It felt like forever until I finally got my hands on them (it was 5 months tops).

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top