• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CaliMonk

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Game of Thrones - TTG

Total Posts: 2991

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Finished the episode last night. That was quick….Even for TWD standards. The excellent quality in the character development section that Telltale is known for is still here though. Whoever is worried about the graphics, should know that they fit the game quite nicely. Having the TV show actors for the voices is a huge +.

Total Posts: 555

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

I quite enjoyed it.  Which is good, because in the first few parts I was feeling really disappointed.  I didn’t enjoy the squire’s storyline or scenes near as much as the other two storylines.

Also I felt like the interface wasn’t near as well done as it is in TWD or TWAU.  I could barely see the arrows telling you which way to push during fight scenes.  And the dialogue choices were much smaller and hard to click on (2 or 3 times I tried to click on one box and either clicked on another or missed it entirely)  I know that sounds like a minor detail, but like 90% of the “gameplay” of Telltale games is making decisions or choosing what to say, so this was quite annoying.  I hope they fix this for future installments.

Spoiler:

Totally didn’t expect the ending either.  Really didn’t think they’d kill that character off so fast.  I was enjoying how that storyline was going and wanted to see more of it.  But it very much fits with the series to introduce a character whose storyline you care about, and then kill the character off suddenly without warning.  Those evil bastards ...  :p

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

Tad - 02 December 2014 05:05 PM

Anyone played it yet? If so, do you need to know about the GoT show or will it be okay without the knowledge?

Most of the story is original, but the game does assume you know who certain characters are, who Joffrey is and what he’s like, etc.  I’m sure you’d still be able to enjoy the game and not be super confused, but it’s definitely directed at people that are already familiar with the world.

And it does hint at or blatantly mention quite few spoilers from the first 3 seasons of the show.  But if you watch up until the end of season 3 you’ll be caught up with the time of the game.  And if you don’t intend to watch the show anyway, this isn’t really a concern.

But I suggest watching the show first.  Because it’s really good and worth watching.

Total Posts: 2991

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Detective Mosely - 03 December 2014 03:15 AM

Also I felt like the interface wasn’t near as well done as it is in TWD or TWAU.  I could barely see the arrows telling you which way to push during fight scenes.  And the dialogue choices were much smaller and hard to click on (2 or 3 times I tried to click on one box and either clicked on another or missed it entirely)  I know that sounds like a minor detail, but like 90% of the “gameplay” of Telltale games is making decisions or choosing what to say, so this was quite annoying.  I hope they fix this for future installments.

You are not the only one. That happened to me too, clicking an entirely different choice than the one I was trying to do.

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Detective Mosely - 03 December 2014 03:20 AM

Anyone played it yet? If so, do you need to know about the GoT show or will it be okay without the knowledge?

Most of the story is original, but the game does assume you know who certain characters are, who Joffrey is and what he’s like, etc.  I’m sure you’d still be able to enjoy the game and not be super confused, but it’s definitely directed at people that are already familiar with the world.

And it does hint at or blatantly mention quite few spoilers from the first 3 seasons of the show.  But if you watch up until the end of season 3 you’ll be caught up with the time of the game.  And if you don’t intend to watch the show anyway, this isn’t really a concern.

But I suggest watching the show first.  Because it’s really good and worth watching.

I’ve tried watching it, but I just can’t get into it. It’s the same with the walking dead and Borderlands mind. The way TT take these worlds and do their own thing though I have really enjoyed, so I’m hoping GoT is the same.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 189

Joined 2010-06-26

PM

Sefir - 03 December 2014 04:14 AM
Detective Mosely - 03 December 2014 03:15 AM

You are not the only one. That happened to me too, clicking an entirely different choice than the one I was trying to do.

Me, three! Didn’t have this problem at all with TftB either. I also found that the mouse was a lot harder to move and there is no sensitivity option which is frustrating in timed conversation sequences.

Total Posts: 189

Joined 2010-06-26

PM

Tad - 03 December 2014 05:50 AM
Detective Mosely - 03 December 2014 03:20 AM

I’ve tried watching it, but I just can’t get into it. It’s the same with the walking dead and Borderlands mind. The way TT take these worlds and do their own thing though I have really enjoyed, so I’m hoping GoT is the same.

The difference between The Walking Dead game, Tales from the Borderlands and Fables is you really need no prior knowledge or backstory to be able to jump straight into those games. I really think with this new series it’s aimed at fans of the shows/books. The characters are always throwing around names that would otherwise just go straight over your head. The Forresters are Stark bannerman and if you haven’t watched the show you wont know why its baddddd for the Forresters to be stark bannerman at this point in the story. The story begins at the Red Wedding and again if you’re just thrown into this with no knowledge of the show/books you wont have a clue whats going on.

Joined 2004-02-11

PM

aaroncarney - 03 December 2014 07:08 AM

The difference between The Walking Dead game, Tales from the Borderlands and Fables is you really need no prior knowledge or backstory to be able to jump straight into those games. I really think with this new series it’s aimed at fans of the shows/books. The characters are always throwing around names that would otherwise just go straight over your head. The Forresters are Stark bannerman and if you haven’t watched the show you wont know why its baddddd for the Forresters to be stark bannerman at this point in the story. The story begins at the Red Wedding and again if you’re just thrown into this with no knowledge of the show/books you wont have a clue whats going on.

All true.  But if you just accept that you’re being thrown into a world that you know nothing about and that you’ll have to learn about it as you go along, it probably won’t harm your enjoyment of the game in any significant way.

The bigger risk is in being spoiled on future events, if you plan on watching the show soon or haven’t made it to the end of season 3 yet.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Tad - 03 December 2014 05:50 AM

Read the books. Much better than the show Smile

I barely scratched the surface of this one but from the beginning I felt a previous knowledge of the show was needed because of all the stuff from around. Then again, the show at the beginning was also a bit confusing with all the different characters being introduced.

The universe in Walking Dead or Fables is much simpler.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Both the books and the show are awesome.  The new World of Ice and Fire book is pretty awesome as well—it’s kind of an illustrated Silmarillion for Westeros.  If you haven’t read the books yet, I actually think the books are best read AFTER seeing the show—that’s what I did, and it was great.  If you already love the show, the books are just like detailed expanded icing on the cake, since everything is so much more fleshed out.  I also personally find it cool to see what they chose to change for the show, and to think about why those changes were made.

I will probably eventually get this game, too, if only for the way it fills in more of the backstory of the world.  I don’t like to pay full price for Telltale games though, so I’ll patiently await the sale season.  Wink

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Well, by chance a friend of mine bought this so I got to play it.

Other then a couple of terms, I didn’t have a problem following the plot as most of it is contained within’ this story and doesn’t venture off course. Having played all of episode 1 I can see this going well. It’s definitely something different as the things you say can get your characters killed. It definitely makes you think before you speak that’s for sure!

One thing that does concern me is what has been stated above. The engine in this seems to struggle in places and the UI seems to have taken a step back oddly enough. Very bizarre…

Also, screw you Ramsay!!

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Played the episode, gets a meh so far from me. Don’t see a big evolution from Telltale, gameplay seems to be exactly like Walking Dead. Good writing and mostly faithful to the source, I specially liked the dialogue exchange with Cersei and Tyrion. The story of Ethan and the other guy were not that interesting. The story of the Forresters does seem like a retread of the Starks but with smaller importance for the big game. Big family, likable but impossible odds with bad stuff constantly throw at them. Even possible to make parallels between the sons and daughters roles.
About the graphics, I think the characters faces look ok, but the animations and backgrounds seem bad to me.

Tad - 03 December 2014 05:18 PM

Also, screw you Ramsay!!

And you say this without reading the books or watching the show? Good job Telltale, they seem to managed to make a good portrait of the worst cockroach in the history of literature Smile

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Lambonius - 03 December 2014 12:46 PM

I will probably eventually get this game, too, if only for the way it fills in more of the backstory of the world.  I don’t like to pay full price for Telltale games though, so I’ll patiently await the sale season.  Wink

Knowing how it went with the other series you won’t have to wait long, maybe in the after Xmas sales it will already be on discount… Definitely 33% around episode 3 Smile

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

I was tempted to wait for a discount on Tales from the borderlands too, but to be honest, I’d rather see them get the money they deserve. There hasn’t been a purchase from TT yet I’ve regretted, so…

As for GoT, yeah. My friend basically told me how the world works in this game and I was fine after that. I didn’t know all the events leading up to where the game starts, but I don’t think it matters personally. Telltale have never stepped into events that effect the main series/games,  so I doubt they’ll do it now. Your focus is the Forrester house and that’s how I suspect it will remain.

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Tad - 04 December 2014 02:10 AM

As for GoT, yeah. My friend basically told me how the world works in this game and I was fine after that. I didn’t know all the events leading up to where the game starts, but I don’t think it matters personally. Telltale have never stepped into events that effect the main series/games,  so I doubt they’ll do it now. Your focus is the Forrester house and that’s how I suspect it will remain.

I think the most confusing part in GoT for the 1st time might have been the beginning because they don’t really explain what is the Red Wedding and what is going on. Cersei and Tyrion stuff probablt resonates better knowing what is at stake there.
After that Forresters do seem to have their own story.
There are lots of messages clearly meant for knowing the charaters previously like [spoiler]Like Ethan saying he would take Ethan sister hunting[/spoiler].

Also about the ending it might be better not knowing the story,  I was not really surprised because killing good guys is how GoT works…

One thing that might be cool is if Telltale was allowed to completely deviate the story from the main source because of the players actions, like major characters dying or making different alliances that would result in major differences from the books/show - that would raise the stakes and make things a lot more interesting.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top