• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Community Playthrough #25:  Inherit the Earth

Total Posts: 5052

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I didn’t play this game when it first came out, but I played many games released around the same time. This would have been considered a reasonably sophisticated game. I’m reasonably certain that the grumbling about the isometric scenes heard here in the CPT would have been mirrored by players back then. Mazes were a common game-play-extending device back then. Even though much of this isn’t “technically” a maze, ITE seems to have taken the concept to an extreme. With the possible exception of either LSL2 or 3, I can’t remember which, never has a game required so much walking to achieve so little.

I’m slowly working my way through ITE. When I started I thought I would devote 1 hour/day to it. Nope! If I can play 15 minutes without feeling either terribly bored or terribly frustrated it’s a good session. I most certainly will not be finishing with the rest of the crew. (Diego, forgive me for any harsh comments I made about you not finishing a game on time. If it makes you feel good, shoot some back at me. Smile)

While the game itself doesn’t seem Disney-esque, the sketches that appear in the Guide certainly do. So I’m thinking that there was some inspiration there.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2013-11-29

PM

Got to the end of the second round. It felt shorter than the first. The dog maze did frustrate me (took me ages to get into Prince’s room), and I’m lucky I was made to navigate the lizard maze only once! The squeaky floorboards puzzle was a bit infuriating as well. I did enjoy the part where you’re introduced to Prince though!

All in all, I’m still looking forward to part 3!

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Is it today that we start the final section, Lady Kestrel?
Probably won’t finish until after Christmas but might start it tonight.

Total Posts: 5601

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

After freeing your friends from the dog castle, with the help of Prrowa, and hunting for Kylas in all those clearings to make your various exchanges, you should have the correct item (again) to cross over to the North Island, which begins Part 3 of our playthrough.  Here you will meet up with some unsavory characters and a new friend, visit the ruins of those who went away, and reach the conclusion of the story.  The playthrough will end on January 2.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 173

Joined 2012-08-06

PM

rtrooney - 20 December 2013 06:51 PM

I didn’t play this game when it first came out, but I played many games released around the same time. This would have been considered a reasonably sophisticated game. I’m reasonably certain that the grumbling about the isometric scenes heard here in the CPT would have been mirrored by players back then. Mazes were a common game-play-extending device back then. Even though much of this isn’t “technically” a maze, ITE seems to have taken the concept to an extreme. With the possible exception of either LSL2 or 3, I can’t remember which, never has a game required so much walking to achieve so little.

Thanks I appreciate the feedback.

It’s neat that you can run around the entire island although I haven’t touched anything yet. I did notice one area of particular interest regarding the history.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.

Give a man a rod and he will sit on a boat and drink beer all day. - USA Network

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Sorry I’ve been rather quiet too, because of the holiday chores and because of the off-putting mazes.

I’ve finished the second part and made the crossing with the ferry as it was past 23rd anyway. Had to take a pause there though. The wandering around is indeed still frustrating and doesn’t really make me want to finish the game in one sitting.

As I suspected I had almost finished the first part, had to bring a couple of items back and forth and then headed for the dog castle. I loved the jailer, probably the best character in the game so far.

The second part overall seemed shorter. And it wasn’t only because I started using the maps in Adventurer’s Guide. There was also very little other interaction. I didn’t have any trouble with the merchant, always found him from the 2nd to 4th place (only had to find him 3 times anyway).

Thank you btw for the people that offered help with the maps, but I managed to get my own copies from GOG so I was fine.

I am still interested in the backstory of the game, the world is interesting. Too bad most of the gameplay is just running. Personally I wouldn’t need or want just a few screens with lots to pick up and examine, I’d do fine with some exploration and even some mazes, it’s just I’m overwhelmed by them here (not to mention most of them are not very well implemented either). Actually I’m interested enough in the world that I would probably back a ITE kickstarter, at least if they promised to tone down all that wandering around.

Not quitting now though, I’m sure I’ll be able to finish the last part and solve the mystery. I have maps, and I have you guys.

Merry Christmas to everyone hanging in here!

Here’s a (borrowed) present from me:

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 183

Joined 2008-03-28

PM

And finished! Smile
I didn’t need any external help with this one and that rarely happens, so it must be with the 10% or so easiest games I’ve played.
Hit a bug early on (again) and it wasn’t clear if it would be gamestopping later on so I reloaded just to be sure.

There’s a lot that could have been done better, but I still enjoyed it. But I’ll wait with specifics until others have finished it too.

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

I seem to have run what seems like a bug in this third part. When I came to the empty wolf camp, and went right, suddenly I found myself inside a cage??? And then Sheila comes and lets me out. Hope I’m not missing something here or triggered something out of sequence. If its a bug, then wonder if it makes sense to reload from the ferry point and play this part again.

Joined 2008-03-28

PM

That’s the same bug I got. I reloaded just to make sure I was captured properly :) I don’t think it will lead you to a dead end though, but with bugs you can never be sure.

To avoid it I assume you have to visit the dam first (and possibly the waterfall before that)

Total Posts: 173

Joined 2012-08-06

PM

I didn’t encounter that kind of bug. It seemed logical to visit the closest noteable point being the falls and talking to Shiala. Then on to the dam that initiates a cutscene resulting in direct transport to the prison cell.

On the second playthrough I went instead directly to the camp which was deserted. I took the item that was necessary to obtain the next item so on and so forth until I had the item required to gain entry into the grotto. I’m thinking to myself now where the heck are the wolves? Not at the camp nor at the bridge. It doesn’t dead end as the only way to stop Shiala from taking a shower is to speak with her and this apparently is what triggers the wolves presense at the bridge.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.

Give a man a rod and he will sit on a boat and drink beer all day. - USA Network

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Siddhi - 24 December 2013 10:32 PM

I seem to have run what seems like a bug in this third part. When I came to the empty wolf camp, and went right, suddenly I found myself inside a cage??? And then Sheila comes and lets me out. Hope I’m not missing something here or triggered something out of sequence. If its a bug, then wonder if it makes sense to reload from the ferry point and play this part again.

HandsFree - 25 December 2013 07:20 AM

That’s the same bug I got. I reloaded just to make sure I was captured properly Smile I don’t think it will lead you to a dead end though, but with bugs you can never be sure.

To avoid it I assume you have to visit the dam first (and possibly the waterfall before that)

Heh, I got a different bug on the same thing, I was captured “properly”, but nobody came to rescue me. After the raccoon left me in the cage, I could simply open the door and walk out of the cell and leave the wolf camp. This seemed suspiciously easy, even for this game, lol.

I finished it just now, and I don’t think I ever would have, if not for the community playthrough. I liked the game at first, I was prepared for senseless amounts of walking with little to achieve, but I mean, really, at the end I was getting close to pulling my hair out in frustration. The only thing that was truly challenged by this game was my patience. Like Iznogood said before, it pretty much solves itself once you find the right place to advance the story. The challenge lies in navigating the environment without going crazy Tongue

This game could’ve been really good without the numerous obvious flaws, and I too will back Inherit the Earth 2 if they promise to completely eliminate:

a) mazes
b) isometric view
c) puzzles that solves themselves
d) ridiculously large areas with nothing to do in them
f) maps that are incomplete and cannot be used to teleport between points of interest
g) world maps where your character can’t find his way to the point you click, unless it’s in a straight line ahead of him
h) the guy(s) who came up with all those ideas

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 5052

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Thumbs Up Everything Dag said. Starting with “a”

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 245

Joined 2006-05-20

PM

Finally finished the game. I played it twice, first time continuing after the bug mentioned above, and then again doing things the right way. The bug doesnt seem to affect the game, except that you dont get to see the dialog with the raccoon.

The conclusion to the story was pretty disappointing. I thought we’ll see more of the different tribes here, but all we see are the bad guys, and they appear exactly once. The raccoon is a paper thin character, and I still dont understand his motivation to steal the orb. Rather than have some really strong motivation, it was more like, “I’m feeling bored today, so I’ll waltz into this super-high security area and make away with the orb”. I really felt like we had trekked across the whole land in order to catch a bored squirrel with too much time on his hands.

The puzzles were extremely easy. The two side kicks who showed some promise at the end of the first part ended up doing nothing the whole game. The exploration aspect was okay, I didn’t mind walking around the overworld map. That was one thing that I liked.

At the end of the first part I was excited for the game, but the second part was a let down from the puzzle and story point of view, and the third part as well.

Joined 2008-03-28

PM

It shows all the signs of a developement team running out of time and/or money.
I don’t believe they set up the whole story about humans leaving the place and then purposely not mention it again. Same for the Raccoon that was supposed to have such extreme power that it made everyone afraid. And then there’s the endgame that’s just a big cutscene without any interaction.
Also at the start of the game you got a few specific game responses when you tried different verbs or inv items. In the last part many of them didn’t even work anymore.

I didn’t like the isometric view, but if it was zoomed out a bit more, so you can see where you are, I probably wouldn’t mind. The walking wasn’t a problem for me. I like the exploration aspect of adventure games and often there almost isn’t any, so I didn’t mind playing a game that overdid it slightly. Wink I also liked the graphics and even the music although the loops were much too short.

So for me the pros:
- interesting story setup
- lots of exploration
- good voiceacting
- nice graphics and music

cons:
- story doesn’t lead anywhere
- cramped isometric view
- too many mazes
- not much challenge
- endgame without player interaction

But hey, it’s just a game. I had fun with it for what it was.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Finished it, the ending part was disappointing, I agree that it was probably time/budget constraints, but the wolf/boars/tribes wars and whole human technology/disappearance felt incomplete. The ending was incredibly rushed, just entering the dam, playing catch with the orb and suddenly… party!. It seems like a game that had a good foundation - the lore, story, characters, world map - some good values - decent graphics and voice acting - but ended up failing in the realization with some dodgy gameplay, easy puzzles and rushed sequences.

Siddhi - 25 December 2013 11:37 PM

The raccoon is a paper thin character, and I still dont understand his motivation to steal the orb. Rather than have some really strong motivation, it was more like, “I’m feeling bored today, so I’ll waltz into this super-high security area and make away with the orb”. I really felt like we had trekked across the whole land in order to catch a bored squirrel with too much time on his hands.

Wasn’t his motivation to use human technology and the Orb of Storms to control the weather and in consequence control all the tribes?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top