• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Blackwell Games

Total Posts: 198

Joined 2012-08-03

PM

@Iznogood

Glad you liked it as well. Smile What’s your score. I give it 4.5 out of 5.

Anticipating:The Devil’s Men

Recently played:GK1 Remake (4), A Golden Wake (3), Child of Light (4) Memento Mori 2 (4) Face Noir (3.5) Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect (4) Blackwell Epiphany (4.5),Broken Sword 5(4.5), The Shivah Remake (4.5), Monkey Island 2 Remake (4.5)

Top 10 Adventure Games:Tex Murphy: Pandora Directive, Gabriel Knight:The Beast Within, Broken Sword:Shadow of the Templars, Gabriel Knight:Sins of the Fathers, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon, Lost Horizon, Grim Fandago, The Longest Journey, Blackwell Epiphany

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

So, that was quite something. A definitive ending, indeed. Maybe a bit deus ex machina, maybe too much added to the mythology in too short a time. I’m not sure. Maybe not. I guess something bugs me a bit, but not by much.
Anyway, this was a great game, and a wonderful conclusion to the series. Grin

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2012-02-10

PM

This was a fantastic ending to an absolutely great series. The story is tautly paced, the puzzles are logically integrated and make a lot of sense in context, and the characters remain likable and sharp. I don’t know how Wadjet Eye keeps making investigation gameplay this smooth, but that gigantic army of beta testers in the end credits probably had something to do with it. Every aspect of this game speaks of care and effort. The blizzard-choked New York is more than lonely; the coldness just grabs you. All the details - the way Rosa puts on her coat and gloves before heading out, the footprints in the snow, the reluctance to get rid of her coffee - it’s evocative from beginning to end.

(The opening is especially impressive. It yanked me in, it shocked me, and it made me shiver.)

Although the ending was forced and clunky, by the time it came around I liked the characters enough that I was willing to nod and accept it. The game had earned enough goodwill by that point that they’d have to start drowning kittens and insulting my mother to squander it.

A warning to players who are sensitive to this sort of thing: This is a dark, dark game. It USUALLY isn’t too emotionally manipulative, with the exception of one or two scenes, but the dive into despair is unrelenting. On the other hand, I guess happy people don’t leave behind ghosts? So what tends to happen to Bestowers becomes more and more believable in hindsight.

So far, this is one of my top favorites of the year. I’m going to crib a quote from Roger Ebert’s review of the movie Ghost Story now:

If you like ghost stories, you will appreciate that they cannot be told with all sorts of ridiculous skeletons leaping out of closets, as in Abbott and Costello. They must be told largely in terms of fearful and nostalgic memory, since (by definition) a ghost is a ghost because of something that once happened that shouldn’t have happened. “Ghost Story” understands that, and restrains its performers so that the horror of the ghost is hardly more transparent than they are.

The Blackwell Epiphany doesn’t always hold on to that kind of restraint and nuance, but when it does, it’s a great, emotionally wrenching game.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Niclas - 26 April 2014 06:51 PM

@Iznogood

Glad you liked it as well. Smile What’s your score. I give it 4.5 out of 5.

Same from me 4.5 out of 5, I was actually contemplating giving it the full 5/5, which was why I didn’t immediately post a score, I had to give it some more thought and ended at a big 4.5 instead. BTW I’m planning to also write a user review for it, but lets see if I actually get around to doing so.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 198

Joined 2012-08-03

PM

@Iznogood

I was also thinking of giving it 5, but it is hard for a game to live up to a perfect 5. Smile Blackwell 5 is however the closest I have been to that old school adventure gaming experience I had since the golden days, and probably one of the best gaming experiences I have had with a new AG in years. I have also written a short user review for this installment of Blackwell, reflecting my thoughts about the game.

Anticipating:The Devil’s Men

Recently played:GK1 Remake (4), A Golden Wake (3), Child of Light (4) Memento Mori 2 (4) Face Noir (3.5) Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect (4) Blackwell Epiphany (4.5),Broken Sword 5(4.5), The Shivah Remake (4.5), Monkey Island 2 Remake (4.5)

Top 10 Adventure Games:Tex Murphy: Pandora Directive, Gabriel Knight:The Beast Within, Broken Sword:Shadow of the Templars, Gabriel Knight:Sins of the Fathers, Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis, Tex Murphy: Under a Killing Moon, Lost Horizon, Grim Fandago, The Longest Journey, Blackwell Epiphany

Total Posts: 39

Joined 2011-02-13

PM

Just finished Epiphany. Definitely one the greatest adventure games I’ve played. It’s so incredibly polished and tells a wonderful story; the drama, humor, and characterization are all so meaty and given so much weight—-far more than I’ve come to expect from a “video game.” [minor spoiler?] True, it ends with a deus ex machina of sorts, but at least it’s the best kind: one that comes at great cost.

Either Dave Gilbert gave this entry far more attention than the others, or his skills have reached some kind of peak. I think it’s both.

Total Posts: 45

Joined 2003-09-09

PM

Not much to add (since I am maybe just sliiiightly biased) but I wanted to pop in to thank everyone for your kind comments. They mean more to me then I can say. Smile

Website: Wadjet Eye Games || Twitter: @wadjeteyegames || Currently working on: Unavowed

Total Posts: 36

Joined 2006-03-14

PM

DaveGilbert - 30 April 2014 11:13 AM

Not much to add (since I am maybe just sliiiightly biased) but I wanted to pop in to thank everyone for your kind comments. They mean more to me then I can say. Smile

Great Job David, an amazing ending to a great series!

Total Posts: 119

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

DaveGilbert - 30 April 2014 11:13 AM

It’s been a great ride, and I’d say Epiphany is your best work to date.  Thanks for making the games and looking forward to whatever your next project may be.

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

True, it ends with a deus ex machina of sorts, but at least it’s the best kind: one that comes at great cost.

Kind of spoiled it for me.

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

The deus ex machina or the great cost?

Total Posts: 36

Joined 2006-03-14

PM

ozzie - 02 May 2014 12:22 PM

probably the “great cost”

i guess that a spoiler tag should be placed in that post.

Total Posts: 39

Joined 2011-02-13

PM

Sorry about that. I thought what I wrote could be open to interpretation.

Edited my post.

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2010-02-16

PM

Hello everybody,

I have Blackwell Epiphany Demo downloaded, successfully installed and run. I have a wide screen set to 1920x1080 and a GeForce GT 610.

My question is, in what screen resolution do you play this game? I understand the pixelated graphics are part of it but in a modern monitor and in such high resolution things start getting a bit annoying, no?

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

ozzie - 02 May 2014 12:22 PM

The great cost part. It kind of reaffirms the likely scenario for the ending.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top