• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissie

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Weird ending of The Night of the Rabbit

Total Posts: 100

Joined 2009-02-07

PM

It was like they run out of budget and had to wrap it up fast. Did anyone else notice it?

But it’s a good quality game from the creators of The Whispered World. In fact, if you liked The Whispered World, do yourself a favor and get this game because it’s closely to its footsteps. The only thing that makes The Whispered World a bit better is that it’s even darker in its main theme. Though this one does a better job at technical aspects and general complexity so it evens out.

Though, if I were to make a “business” criticism, they should better follow the “Episodes” model. The game is huge and it could do with 2 or 3 episodes on half price of the main game.

I also think the Episodes model creates a more “fan based” following and it promotes games better (more chances to see reviews about it too).

Total Posts: 2990

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

thinker - 06 July 2013 02:05 PM

if you liked The Whispered World, do yourself a favor and get this game because it’s closely to its footsteps. The only thing that makes The Whispered World a bit better is that it’s even darker in its main theme. Though this one does a better job at technical aspects and general complexity so it evens out.

Have you noticed the Moreye fish from TWW when you travelled in the between world of dream & reality in TNoTR? Tongue

I generally agree with your most of your comparison. They are both very, very good games. Both had great graphics (Background was better in TWW, animation was better in TNoTR) and music. TNoTR had by far the best voice acting in a Daedelic’s game IMO. I believe however that TWW is a bit better mainly because of its story and the riddles (Spot usage in TWW was better and more authentic than the spell uses in TNoTR. And I still don’t like the fact that the curson has already ready what you should do with each object in TRoTR. Seemed a like a cheap trick to me).

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

The only thing that makes The Whispered World a bit better is that it’s even darker in its main theme.

That doesn’t make it better. We have enough dark games. Too many.

Though, if I were to make a “business” criticism, they should better follow the “Episodes” model. The game is huge and it could do with 2 or 3 episodes on half price of the main game.

Nooooooo!!!! Don’t encourage the plague of the episode!

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I also think the Episodes model creates a more “fan based” following and it promotes games better (more chances to see reviews about it too).

The episodic model depends on the game. Not every game can be split up in episodes, it needs to be designed that way.

Having said that, the less episodic games there are, the better. I will always prefer full complete games over episodes, because I expect at least *some* closure at the end of the game. Episodics really only offer that when the ‘season’ is complete, and a lot of them don’t get past the first one-two episodes…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2009-02-07

PM

Well, I didn’t say I’d personally like to see it, it was a business idea. It seems that episodic games get more exposure since people just review each one of them.

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Zifnab - 06 July 2013 07:33 PM

The only thing that makes The Whispered World a bit better is that it’s even darker in its main theme.

That doesn’t make it better. We have enough dark games. Too many.

Quoted for truth.  I’m sick of the “Darker™=Better” mentality.

I, too, also think Episodic gaming sucks.  Just give me a full game, and if it warrants it - a sequel.  Personally, I even hate watching episodic television!  I love Netflix because I can watch shows a season at a time.

Bt

Total Posts: 30

Joined 2013-03-30

PM

I just finished the game and I have mixed feelings about it.

In my mind, the positive points are the artistic qualities, the graphics and music are superb and the voice acting is gorgeous. I’m not really fond of magic tricks / fairy tales universes, but Daedalic offers a very coherent world and I got some pleasure to explore it.
The difficulty is enjoyable, sometimes very hard. And it brings with what seems to me negative points: to resolve some puzzles, you have to use the “Spacebar”. I don’t like using an hotspots highlighter, so I was really really disappointed when after being stuck for a loooong time, I opened a soluce who told me : “press the spacebar.” AAAAARGH !!! Grin
(I almost preferred the sound puzzle in Daeponia…  Grin Grin )

The second bad point to me is the flow of the story.

Weird ending of The Night of the Rabbit
It was like they run out of budget and had to wrap it up fast. Did anyone else notice it?

I regret they didn’t “spread” it better along the game. I began to got bored until I reached the last chapter…

Small last point : the french translation has some typos and is not accurate. It even has a bug, an exit line is missing and you’re stuck in a dialog… Great.
So if you play the game with FR subs, make a savegame before talking with the night butterflies / papillons de nuit (4th spell).

To make a link with your discussion about episodic / full games (I prefer full games), I’d like to add about TNotR that it might be a long game (due to its difficulty) BUT don’t leave it even for a few days because the “quests” log inside the game is totally useless and you won’t remember what you have to do.

So, nice game but not the best from Daedalic. I really preferred the Daeponia serie. Smile

Joined 2009-02-07

PM

I didn’t say “you must like what I like” so settle down. It was just my personal experience.

They both seemed - to me - being aimed to children audiences at first, so when I saw some more adult themes in them, it made them more interesting.

It wasn’t like they were thrillers and I just liked the deeper thriller. They were both quite light, so when one of them went deeper into adult psychology and deeper themes, I found it more interesting.

I don’t like extremities. e.g. my favorite balance of depth and light themes is in Gabriel Knight.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

You could say all of Daedelic’s games are children’s games, except maybe A New Beginning. I don’t believe they are however. Maybe NOTR is set in an idyllic, anthropomorphic universe but there are some disturbing themes there.

It would be interesting to know how the designers see it.

Shimrod - 07 July 2013 05:32 PM

In my mind, the positive points are the artistic qualities, the graphics and music are superb and the voice acting is gorgeous. I’m not really fond of magic tricks / fairy tales universes, but Daedalic offers a very coherent world and I got some pleasure to explore it.

I agree. It was the execution in particular I found to be excellent. I find I can enjoy any story, dark or light, if it’s done well.

I also think a company should work to its strengths. Daedelic’s more serious, adult games turned out less successful (my own personal view - A New Beginning and Chains of Satinav were not my favourites) so I’m happy if they turn to more childish material.

Total Posts: 16

Joined 2006-06-02

PM

I’ll agree that the ending felt rushed, but I suspect that’s only in contrast to the rest of the game, which was very unrushed and way longer than I expected it to be.  In fact, I told my husband to hold on while I finished the game and that I thought I had “about 5 minutes left” and it took about 45 minutes to finish because of all the video at the end.  So they could have spread out some of that info dump into the gameplay a bit better, but the only part that felt really rushed was the very, very end of Jerry’s return home.

Overall I really loved the game.  I didn’t truly expect a whole lot from it: although I enjoyed TWW it didn’t completely bowl me over.  But this game was really charming and I loved the world and most of the gameplay.  And I was truly impressed by the length and depth of the story.  The whole ending chapter at the first tree gave me goosebumps. 

Definitely one of the best new games I’ve played recently.

Oh, and I’ll join the ranks thankful this wasn’t episodic.  The length was something reminiscent of older games and really delightful.

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2013-07-02

PM

The rabbit in this games title caused me to download The educating adventures of girl and rabbit.
Very funny, small, ags game.The “slapping” still makes me smile just thinking about it:)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top