• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

LSL: Reloaded

Total Posts: 270

Joined 2003-09-11

PM

BTW,

I can’t find anywhere else except for Frogacuda’s post about the 250,000.
Where does this number come from?

Max: Right! We’ll travel through this dimensional portal on the top of the bar!
Sam: That’s spilled beer, rockhead.
Max: Oh in that case ...

Total Posts: 619

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

Yeah, to be honest, there was no link or source for Frogacuda’s number.

Bt

Total Posts: 50

Joined 2005-04-18

PM

The number was posted by Paul Trowe on his facebook wall. It seemed fishy to me at the time because if Larry had sold 250k copies in its first week, it would have probably been in a few top lists of game solds for that week at least. I looked around but couldn’t find anything. So this confirms my doubts.

It’s a shame, really. You would have thought Larry would have been better received in general. I wish this genre, as we all remember it from the fonder years of adventure, really worked better commercially and like Al says, could be better received by modern gamers.

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

cesarbittar - 23 August 2013 08:58 PM

The number was posted by Paul Trowe on his facebook wall. It seemed fishy to me at the time because if Larry had sold 250k copies in its first week, it would have probably been in a few top lists of game solds for that week at least. I looked around but couldn’t find anything. So this confirms my doubts.

Gotcha, Cez - I never knew where that number came from.  I’d heard it, but didn’t know the source.

Bt

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Let’s remember the basics. The original wasn’t a great game. The remake isn’t a great game. But it wasn’t all Al and Josh’s fault that this was the game they were forced to make. The publisher said “Let’s make a remake of LSL1, and we’ll see what happens.” Yes, they could have and should have produced a better product, but they were limited by the hand the publisher dealt them.

And I would doubt, outside of the Kickstarter sales, that the game has sold 100k copies, let alone the 250k Paul quoted. My real guess is closer to 50k.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

“According to Low, the team miscalculated the development costs for the game”

Unfortunately, all of the kickstarted adventure vets have this problem. I cant stand hearing devs of a project i backed say “oh, we didnt ask for the right amount.”
Now, when somthing like precinct comes around all i can think is “oh, if they get the funds in 6 months all we’l hear is how they didnt ask for enough”

Joined 2012-06-06

PM

You know, though, the LSL remake is the kind of game that could sell at a slower rate for a long time. I know that a few of my friends didn’t even know about it - and when they found out, they picked up a copy.  Sometimes the long sell is better than the short.

Bt

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I do think this time around it all may depend on mobile sales. I did give the Android version a quick spin as it has a short free to play option (to the point where you leave Lefty’s with taxi) and the game was very enjoyable experience on it. The gameplay felt much smoother on it than it does on PC.

Total Posts: 164

Joined 2007-11-25

PM

Blackthorne - 24 August 2013 12:40 AM

You know, though, the LSL remake is the kind of game that could sell at a slower rate for a long time. I know that a few of my friends didn’t even know about it - and when they found out, they picked up a copy.  Sometimes the long sell is better than the short.

Bt

I’ve thought something similar - I can imagine that the game is a “on the fence” game for many people. Some might look at the scores/read reviews and think the game is OK, but not good enough to warrant a full-price purchase, and then they’ll wait for a sale; some might think the concept is a bit dated - especially in light of some of the reviews and opinion pieces than accuse the game of sexism, etc. - and will wait for a sale as well. Actually, some of the criticism may make some people curious to see what the fuss is about, but it would probably still mean that most people in this segment would wait for the price to come down a bit.

And that can be both good and bad - some developers make the same from Steam sales or bundles in a week or two than they did the first month their game is out, even one or two years down the line. So ‘the long tail’ effect, that some games experience, can definitely be good in terms of revenue. On the other hand, if the license holder is to green-light the next Larry games (I don’t remember if that’s the case), then they’ll probably look at the amount of copies sold in the first month or so, since that’s what license holders usually do.

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2013-04-13

PM

I played about half of it on a friend’s pc. I couldn’t figure out where to get a condom and had given up at this point. (I don’t COMPLETELY remember the original puzzles but I thought you bought one from the convenience store? I guess not? lol.)

anyway, I also think that the mobile platform is a good direction. I think adventure games are practically designed for a tablet type touch interface. It is very intuitive to push onscreen vs controlling a mouse.  I intend to purchase the game on android tablet when I pick one up. (debating between samsung galaxy 10 and nexus 10). 

I really really hope more adventure game publishers start pushing/supporting the android platform.  I feel like windows is a sinking ship, with windows tablets extremely underpowered or overpriced/overspecced!! (windows 8 native for 1000+ vs windows rs tablets with a crappy atom processor. yeuuckk! lol) and apple has always disgusted me.  Android is nice!

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

For all it’s shortcomings, LSLR really did make me laugh out loud. Several times. A lot of comedy games make me smile, but few make me actually laugh. That’s why I like the Duckman game so much. It’s unusually hilarious!

And btw, the condoms are in the convenience store, you just missed a hotspot.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Just completed first ever play through. Really impressed with the detail. Pretty funny. Looks great. Final puzzle pretty tough. Definately recommend. A game to cherish rather than rush through.

JB

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Jim Bob - 25 August 2013 07:14 PM

A game to cherish rather than rush through.

That seems to be the case with every game that Josh Mandel wrote or helped write. You should play Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon, the amount of funny descriptions and actions that yield a unique response is just insane. And it’s consistently funny! Smile

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

jaap - 23 August 2013 05:42 PM

BTW,

I can’t find anywhere else except for Frogacuda’s post about the 250,000.
Where does this number come from?

Paul Trowe’s facebook.

I’m going to guess that he meant units shipped and not units sold through, since they did retail releases all over the world. I could ask him.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Granted it’s been difficult forever to verify sales of individual games. But…is there any way to verify Paul’s number? Unless Replay is releasing numbers as a corporate entity, not as an individual trying to make things look good, the only “real” numbers out there that I can see are the shipments/downloads resulting from the Kickstarter.

My bet is that sales, over and above Kickstarter fulfillment, is far less than 250K.

As state earlier, my best guess is closer to 50K.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top