• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Baron_Blubba

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Top 100 - what changes would you make?

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

meteor - 21 June 2022 09:53 AM

I guess I have nice overview of adventure games and I wouldn’t be able coming up with 100 new area games I would want to recommend whilst keeping older games back and which are better in comparison. Nope. I stay with my definition of what a top 100/123 list should be.

And for visibility reasons you can still browse through news, reviews and databases, but weak or weaker games don’t need to be in a top 100 list, I want to consult.

So basically what you’re saying yours is the only opinion that counts.
I definitely have an opinion about that.

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 320

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

Basically I’m saying, that I’m against your suggestion for the reasons I’ve mentioned.

Total Posts: 1267

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

And then I repeat an Spanish saying: oponions are like butts, everybody is got one,

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

I guess if you ask the Spanish people who might win La Liga next season. There will be a majority voting for Real Madrid instead of FC Cadiz.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Jabod - 21 June 2022 09:26 AM
meteor - 21 June 2022 09:09 AM

Would you be able to come up with 100 new good adventures within this time? It’s easier to achieve (if you don’t care about quality) because you don’t have to balance older and newer games.

In my opinion the spirit of the list should be ‘This are the top 100 adventures, recommended playing today’. Games which fall out are still mentioned in the old list, so, they don’t get lost. If needed, you could enlarge the list to the top 123 in the future.

Anyway. I would get rid of a ranking because it pretends to be something which it is not. You might rank games just in zones (7,8,9,10 ratings) though.

People don’t look back. It;‘s that simple. Nowadays everything is now!

And you’re being terribly snobbish with your “If you don’t care about quality” remark. Things are subjective and what you think of as poor quality x number of others would think of as absolutely brilliant.

I don’t know what a new AG list should look like, I have no strong opinions one way or the other. But I do know that I couldn’t come up with 100 adventures from the past 10 years I’d recommend or consider very good, because I tried and ended up with 60-65 at the most. If I had to post 100 games I would have to include ones I didn’t enjoy all that much, like Encodya. So quality counts for each individual list. Other people may love Encodya, that doesn’t mean it should be on my own list.

EDIT: list removed

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

Me too. I can come up with above 100 (also by naming each one, like, Deponia, Chaos on Deponia ...) but not all of them would be in an interesting 7-10 range.

I wonder how you deal best with adventure series. Do you name each adventure, depending on how good it is, or does it makes more sense to name the first, the best, representing a series. There are pros and cons for each way.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Karlok - 21 June 2022 11:06 AM

I don’t know what a new AG list should look like, I have no strong opinions one way or the other. But I do know that I couldn’t come up with 100 adventures from the past 10 years I’d recommend or consider very good, because I tried and ended up with 60-65 at the most. If I had to post 100 games I would have to include ones I didn’t enjoy all that much, like Encodya. So quality counts for each individual list. Other people may love Encodya, that doesn’t mean it should be on my own list.

But what you come up with Karlok isn’t necessarily the same as those games another person might come up with, and another, and another. Considering how many games have been released over that time period then 100 games is not a problem. How they are viewed by each individual is, of course, another matter. People need to take personal blinkers off and allow everything to come into view even if ones personal volume of games is nowhere close to 100 - and, for many people, that will be the case.

However.

There is no actual need for the list to be 100 long. What is really needed is a sensible snapshot in time thus allowing games to be judged, by us, against all of their contemporaries thus giving a reasonably level playing field for such personal judgements.

Unlike films or books which can be viewed or read no matter when they were released or published games, by their very nature, are more “of the moment” even if they can be replayed but that, as already said, Gatekeeper’s views notwithstanding, will not always be the case. I wonder what would happen if Steam\Valve went bust. How many games would vanish then?

Anyways my view, fairly obviously, is to keep the past as much as possible with the present on this subject. No matter of said view, the overall wish of the members here will prevail which is how it should be Smile

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 5601

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I was thinking of a yearly list, posted in the forums, that would be ranked simply by the number of votes a game received.  The inclusion of star rankings, game descriptions, or screenshots is not something I’d want to take on.

Some things we should consider:

1.  The best time of year to compile the list
Other than avoiding the first 2 months of the year devoted to the Aggies, I’m open to suggestions.

2.  The number of votes each person gets
At GB, with each person voting for up to 20 games, the 1917 2017 list generated 288 games, many with just one vote.  (I didn’t count other years, but with a quick look the results appeared similar.)  Since not everyone could come up with 100 games, including myself, we could cap it at 100 but fewer would be fine.

3.  The type of games included in the voting
These were used at GB but, of course, are up for discussion:
a.  Each game in a series (i.e. Tex Murphy, Gabriel Knight) counts as a separate game
b.  Episodic adventures (i.e. Kentucky Route Zero, The Journey Down) will be counted as one game, regardless of where they are up to in the series.
c.  Games with add ons (i.e. Path of the Shell for Uru) will be counted as one game.
d.  Original and remastered games (i.e. Kathy Rain, Bad Mojo) will be counted as the same game.
e.  Directors cuts and special releases (i.e. Scratches, The Secret of Monkey Island) will be counted as the same game.
f.  Adventure games only*
g.  PC games (Win/Mac/Linux) please

* Should this be flexible, a broad interpretation rather than narrow?
** Could this include consoles or other systems?

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Lady Kestrel - 21 June 2022 12:59 PM

At GB, with each person voting for up to 20 games, the 1917 list generated 288 games

Blimey! What games were around in 1917 Lady K? I can’t think of a single one and I’m no spring chicken Wink

Life is what it is.

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

@Lady Kestrel
What if only a minority is playing VR adventures but there are great games nonetheless?

If you vote for a limit of 20, whilst knowing more you feel strong about for valid reasons, this reduces the chances of good games sitting in a second row and adds sort of random fluctuation. Ideally you want many educated votes.

I would welcome information about the technology a game is based on and how well it performs. You might want to avoid badly performing titles and enjoy those who do a good job.

In my opinion games like The Last of Us or Bioshock qualify as adventures.

“Each game in a series counts as a separate game.”

This depends on the specific case. For some series it’s better to name each game whilst for others it makes more sense to see them as complete works.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Jabod - 21 June 2022 01:16 PM

At GB, with each person voting for up to 20 games, the 1917 list generated 288 games

Blimey! What games were around in 1917 Lady K? I can’t think of a single one and I’m no spring chicken Wink

They were mostly escape rooms and they were mostly actual prisons.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

or it might have WWI games.
sorry, i cant just skip a party!

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Jabod - 21 June 2022 11:46 AM

I wonder what would happen if Steam\Valve went bust. How many games would vanish then?

Which is a great reason to buy games from elsewhere, like GOG!

Anyway, there are ways to make games run without Steam client, in fact, there are thousands of games on Steam that don’t have any third party DRM or forced client dependencies.
For instance, every DOS game can be run without Steam client, and some specific engines, like AGS, are Steam-free too.

Games that require Steam client, well a bit harder case, but there are at least three ways to make games run without Steam client. In some rare cases simply using a no-CD patch will do, some other cases may require a special “fake Steam” wrapper software, and so on.

The only really impossible situation may come from actual third party DRM, but then again, that same problem is with disc-based DRM software as well.

Again, the best way is to support DRM-free whenever possible.
But Steam going down would be a problem for those people only, who think that Steam equals gaming.

I know that’s kind of off-topic, but just saying that there will always be ways to get stuff working.

e.  Directors cuts and special releases (i.e. Scratches, The Secret of Monkey Island) will be counted as the same game.

A very bad idea, if anyone asks me.

Most of the time “special editions” completely ruin the gaming experience. The only exception where we could discuss it going the other way, is Grim Fandango, because the new version actually makes it a point-and-click, which it originally wasn’t, although many people claim that it was.

Then again, there is a fan patch which adds mouse controls to the original version, so even with Grim Fandango, the new version isn’t really necessary.

I am probably in the minority here, but I would go as far as ban all director’s cuts and special editions.

Obviously complete remakes are a different story, like every version of the first Leisure Suit Larry is so different from the other ones, that they can be treated as completely different games, even though they are telling the same story all over again.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Jabod - 21 June 2022 11:46 AM
Karlok - 21 June 2022 11:06 AM

But what you come up with Karlok

Well, I thought that was what meteor meant.

isn’t necessarily the same as those games another person might come up with, and another, and another. Considering how many games have been released over that time period then 100 games is not a problem. How they are viewed by each individual is, of course, another matter. People need to take personal blinkers off and allow everything to come into view even if ones personal volume of games is nowhere close to 100 - and, for many people, that will be the case.

I think I agree with both of you. Smile

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 5601

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Jabod - 21 June 2022 01:16 PM

Probably chess and checkers. Grin

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top