• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Nightmare Frames (from the creator of Urban Witch Story) just released!

Total Posts: 1263

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Well, at least in Steam, with 10% discount until June 23th. In English and Spanish:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1650590/Nightmare_Frames/

Probably soon available in itch.io

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

looks awesome!, these are the kinda adventures I am willing to get over the fact of no voice acting is available. I will get it in the next few days, I am sure.

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Yeah, I got the game and I will start playing it tonight!

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Urban Witch Story was so good I can’t resist so thanks for the info walas Smile

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

For those who don’t like Steam:

https://postmodernadventures.itch.io/nightmare-frames

Total Posts: 190

Joined 2010-09-01

PM

Nice to see a small game like this get a positive review on Polygon.

With respect to the discussion in the review thread this part stood out: “With some (not all!) contemporary point-and-clicks, the first hour is often a reasonable indicator of whether a story is built around senseless masturbatory nostalgia for the days of LucasArts and Sierra.”

Even though we all love those old games I think it’s important to criticize new adventure games for not bringing anything new to the table in the reviews instead of rewarding it. Though, that’s more of a discussion for the other thread.

I loved the writing in Urban Witch Story so I had high hopes for this game and so far it is delivering even though I’ve only played an hour so far.

I’m excited to see where the game will go.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

heads up: I’m reviewing it, so that should be.. something. Gasp

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

absolutely, VP, best of luck man

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

VP, I am glad you review games here, and honored that you chose this one.

The creator is a friend of mine, just saying… Tongue

Total Posts: 844

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

TheLongestJourney - 17 June 2022 07:28 AM

With respect to the discussion in the review thread this part stood out: “With some (not all!) contemporary point-and-clicks, the first hour is often a reasonable indicator of whether a story is built around senseless masturbatory nostalgia for the days of LucasArts and Sierra.”

Even though we all love those old games I think it’s important to criticize new adventure games for not bringing anything new to the table in the reviews instead of rewarding it. Though, that’s more of a discussion for the other thread.

I loved the writing in Urban Witch Story so I had high hopes for this game and so far it is delivering even though I’ve only played an hour so far.

I’m excited to see where the game will go.

Devs who feel the need to prove their credentials in the genre by inserting tired Sierra/Lucas Arts ‘in’ jokes in their games are, at this point, like the people who try too hard dressing up for concerts and festivals, or just to go shopping in a specific place. Those who belong usually don’t feel the need to prove that they belong.
The LucasArts and Sierra stuff was cute for a while, but jiminy Christmas, nowadays 95% of them just degrade the quality of the writing and take me out of what might be an otherwise excellent experience.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

walas74 - 17 June 2022 11:20 AM

VP, I am glad you review games here, and honored that you chose this one.

The creator is a friend of mine, just saying… Tongue

I just finished the game and I saw a familiar name in the credits!  Wink

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Haha. You can (and must) be objective.

By the way, where do you live so I can send you a present (or a sicario…)

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Well, as much as it’s great for the game to get such a good review it’s a shame that it’s from a site like polygon (look it up!!!) & it had to be so crude + disrespectful.

Games in my mind should be assessed on the quality of their content so I disagree strongly with criticising the lack of novel aspects although if included should be credited.

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

I’m looking forward to everyone’s opinion on The Nightmare Frames here. I have played the demo, and it looked like another one of those “seems to be a really good game” that would not be for me, ala NORCO. From the demo:

1. The game seemed too dialogue-heavy (and, generally, too wordy) without much action to counterbalance it. I like my wordy games, but if the game comes with lots of gameplay (STASIS or Disco Elysium). I’m not so keen on those where you walk from place to place to have looong, introspective monologues/dialogues and read a bit pompous descriptions of everything in sight.  I felt like that’s all I’ve done in the demo.

2. This one is a personal bias. I work in film, so after first 20 minutes of playing the game, I felt like I was playing “work”. Can’t tell you how many meetings with screenwriters like the protagonist I had to sit through. Specifically, in the horror genre. I suppose, that means that developer has done a good job, but that was a huge factor that made me go - “not for me”.

With that being sad, I’m curious to read the feedback from others. The game certainly looks great, and I can see how the setting can be seen as very interesting. Maybe the mystery will pick up the pace?

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

DCast - 18 June 2022 08:32 AM

I’m looking forward to everyone’s opinion on The Nightmare Frames here. I have played the demo, and it looked like another one of those “seems to be a really good game” that would not be for me, ala NORCO. From the demo:

1. The game seemed too dialogue-heavy (and, generally, too wordy) without much action to counterbalance it. I like my wordy games, but if the game comes with lots of gameplay (STASIS or Disco Elysium). I’m not so keen on those where you walk from place to place to have looong, introspective monologues/dialogues and read a bit pompous descriptions of everything in sight.  I felt like that’s all I’ve done in the demo.

2. This one is a personal bias. I work in film, so after first 20 minutes of playing the game, I felt like I was playing “work”. Can’t tell you how many meetings with screenwriters like the protagonist I had to sit through. Specifically, in the horror genre. I suppose, that means that developer has done a good job, but that was a huge factor that made me go - “not for me”.

With that being sad, I’m curious to read the feedback from others. The game certainly looks great, and I can see how the setting can be seen as very interesting. Maybe the mystery will pick up the pace?

Hi Dcast, I appreciate your sincere concerns about the game and I will try to be as honest as possible.

1. Yes, the game is wordy, which can put off some players, but it’s not as wordy as The Longest Journey haha. Jokes aside, I don’t usually mind reading if the game is well written (which is the case in my modest opinion). You are right that in the demo there is no much action nor puzzles to be solved, but I promise you that shortly after the demo finishes, when the main character discovers the main goal of the game, all that will change a lot, and the fear will begin…

2. I understand what you mean, as my father use to work for Ford Company, and spent many hours per day at the phone. So when he arrived home, he would never pick up the phone. It was me and my brothers who must pick up, say loud the name of who was calling, and my father would gesticulate if “he was at home or not”... Then again, as I said before, all the Hollywood and writers stuff will end shortly after the demo ended…

For your final question, with my hand in my heart, the answer would be yes, the mystery and the horror will pick up the pace…

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top