• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445syn

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough 72 - Gemini Rue

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Doom - 11 June 2022 01:53 PM

I just finished the whole game - I beat the 3rd part in no time and just wanted to see how the story ends. And wow, the similarities to the Dollhouse storyline were striking indeed! I enjoyed the resolution, and the whole thing was pretty intense and emotional, if a bit too linear and easy, but I won’t discuss it until the playthrough ends. Also I’m not sure how many endings are there - I think I ended up with a perfect final and then perfected it a bit more, but I felt like there could’ve been other endings. Also had some good final kicking!

isn’t it good as Bladerunner, at least from the story perspective?

on a 2nd thought, let us wait until all is already done with it, don’t wanna ruin anyone’s experience by any chance

Total Posts: 2072

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Advie - 11 June 2022 05:39 PM

isn’t it good as Bladerunner, at least from the story perspective?

on a 2nd thought, let us wait until all is already done with it, don’t wanna ruin anyone’s experience by any chance

Yes, absolutely. And it often makes you feel so hopeless and on edge - even though I kinda saw where the plot was going, the revelations, the way the heroes were humiliated and how they tried to save each other were well directed and emotionally charged.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 5838

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve now finished the game too.

I couldn’t get past the shooting sequence in the Reactor Hangar & just got to a point where I couldn’t hack the combat any more. So my `finishing the game’ was via YT footage which on my TV was better than some of the films I’ve watch lately!

The combat itself was very well integrated I thought but the easy wasn’t easy enough & either the keyboard controls (they didn’t seem to react too well for me) or my brain just didn’t respond quickly enough! (I’ve never liked WASD keys for action/timed stuff & always preferred using a gamepad).

Was there any clue earlier that I missed that the gameplay with Azrael was set about a year later than that on Center 7? which came together to make more sense. 

I thought the story was excellent, loved the twists & wish I’d been able to get over the combat scene to discover the rest of it for myself.  An interesting aspect was the Director confessing to not being able to deconstruct a part of the `brain’?  which for me was possibly the soul?

I’d love to see a sequel because who is/was Sayuri? But please if it happens please make the easy option for combat EASY!!!!

As to how this game compares to Blade Runner - story wise Gemini Rue wins just about but gameplay wise Blade Runner wins - Gemini Rue may have just tipped the scales there if I’d got past the combat more smoothly! But, not a lot of difference between them really.   
Smile

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

chrissie - 12 June 2022 11:50 AM

I couldn’t get past the shooting sequence in the Reactor Hangar & just got to a point where I couldn’t hack the combat any more. So my `finishing the game’ was via YT footage which on my TV was better than some of the films I’ve watch lately!

The combat itself was very well integrated I thought but the easy wasn’t easy enough & either the keyboard controls (they didn’t seem to react too well for me) or my brain just didn’t respond quickly enough! (I’ve never liked WASD keys for action/timed stuff & always preferred using a gamepad).

I agree, combat becomes overcomplicated by the final chapter, I had to replay each fight like 2-3 times, although it all comes down to figuring out the new slightly changed tactics the opponents use each time - and after I did, I was able to kill them without a single injury. It also took me some moments to recall which key corresponded to which action every time I restarted the game, there are just too many options! I did miss the simple point-n-click shooting interface of Blade Runner.

Was there any clue earlier that I missed that the gameplay with Azrael was set about a year later than that on Center 7? which came together to make more sense.

As Azriel we learn that there was a successful escape from Sector 7 just about a year ago - and that’s what we are basically trying to perform in that section. Also that hooded girl felt all too familiar to me as soon as we met. But rather than that, I don’t think there were any hints.

I’d love to see a sequel because who is/was Sayuri? But please if it happens please make the easy option for combat EASY!!!!

Definitely, bring on a sequel! Although it seems like the developer focused on scientific work (he is working for NASA) and doesn’t plan to make more games in near future(

Total Posts: 184

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

Seeing people allready finished the game and didnt know if i was at stopping point decided to go on. Played for an hour more and managed to finish the game also. I ll post my thoughts when everyone is done but i can say for now that the ending was very good.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Nice!

Well, I rearranged the final sections to try and see where everyone was at, but it seems like most people still playing have finished the game.

Anyone still catching up to the beginning of this section?

If everyone is about done, I’ll wrap things up with a small post about the last section tomorrow and a look back at the game and some of the stuff that came up in the CPT on wednesday.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Thanks VP for setting up this playthrough, I was a little disappointed that I couldn’t finish it under my own steam but at last I did get to the ending. Thanks also to the input from other participants - especially Doom!  Thumbs Up

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

It might be mostly form at this point, but the final section starts today.

Section 5: Cogs, Power and Dust Between the Wheels.

The plot has gained some mass and

There are only two ways to go from here: either the machine gives in or the stories we’ve grown into will be ground and fed back into the system.

By the way, we’ve been talking about Azriel, Sayuri and Giselle, how they relate to the Delta’s. The previous section gave us some insight into these characters and how they relate to one another.

But what about this Balder fellow? What happened to him?

There’s Kane, the pilot. He seems like someone doing his job, somewhat warily. Considering what we know, that is relatable.

And who is Matthius? He seems to be part of the team.

At the start of this section, you’ll finally meet your maker, in a way. To anyone catching up: there’s still plenty to do and discover.

(I’ll wrap up the CPT tomorrow, or later this week if anyone has caught up or just wants to discuss something yet)

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

We’re going out with a bang.

This final post got a bit heavy, so I’ve decided to split it up. This part is just going to be about the ending.

Gemini Rue - THE END

There are a couple of interesting twists and turns in the final scenes of the game.

Did anyone see BALDER being a stooge for The Director coming?
What do you think happened behind the scenes in Center 7 after the takeover by the Boryokudan? How do you think it relates to the ending?

What was going on with the Deltas escaping? Did The Director know about the plan? Why did he decide to send Delta 6 out into the world after attempting to escape?

If you found yourselves in the position of the Deltas, would you prefer to have your old memories and identity, or would you start from where you are, knowing what you know in the moment? Third option: go for another complete whipe and just wander off into the world.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

what a pleasant CPT that was, tho I didn’t know before the start I wouldn’t be able to go forward with finishing for the 4th time I enjoyed the thread, it was full of insights and great remarks, and also nice question originated by the OP.

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Good to hear!

Which brings us to the second part of the ending to this CPT:

Thanks to all participants, for your contributions! And for trying to make sense of my word salad (another reason for the name VP).

I also discovered a couple of new things in this CPT. It’s a shame the developer didn’t release another game. I guess working for NASA doesn’t leave much room for stuff like this, though imagine how cool all that knowledge would be when it’s applied to an adventure game.

Total Posts: 184

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

Thanks for leading this Vegetable Party. It was a great playthrough.

In general i liked the game. Atmosphere and voice acting were great and the story was decent. My only minor complain is that some puzzles had a little of pixel hunting and i wasted a lot of time trying to solve them, while i just couldnt locate the interactions needed on screen. I m not fan of pixelated graphics but other than previous comment i think they worked pretty well for this game. I could mention some other minor problems like that you had to click on an item on screen to show inventory but they are not worth mentioning because they didnt really hinder the experience.

As of the shooting sections in contrary to some of the other participants i had no problem at all. A comment helped that the difficulty moved to medium after you played a little so i changed it back to easy. Easy difficulty felt easy for me and i dont think that if someone payed a little attention on tutorial would have a real problem afterwards on easy difficulty. Not sure about medium and hard because i played it all the way on easy.

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Yes, thank you for the playthrough, VP, and everyone involved! I’ve been avoiding Gemini Rue since its initial release for some reason, glad I finally played it. Enjoyed the tough hero and his way of dealing with obstacles, why can’t we have more kicking, or butting, or at least spitting in ags?? There were other memorable moments, of course. Different parts of the game played differently, for better or worse, but the story made everything work like a good thriller movie or series, and so did the playthrough.

Vegetable Party - 14 June 2022 09:11 AM

By the way, we’ve been talking about Azriel, Sayuri and Giselle, how they relate to the Delta’s. The previous section gave us some insight into these characters and how they relate to one another.

But what about this Balder fellow? What happened to him?

There’s Kane, the pilot. He seems like someone doing his job, somewhat warily. Considering what we know, that is relatable.

And who is Matthius? He seems to be part of the team.

I thought Balder’s character was a bit on the flat side, but the way he was used to advance the plot was smart enough. And while I expected some traitorship from Matthius, I didn’t see the revelation coming, although it was hinted at in the previous sections.. I found Kane to be the most likable person in the whole game. I was even more worried for him than the rest two at the end, as I was sure they both would make it, but characters like Kane have a habit to die some stupid heroic death. Instead he almost saved the day all by himself)

Vegetable Party - 17 June 2022 05:27 AM

What do you think happened behind the scenes in Center 7 after the takeover by the Boryokudan? How do you think it relates to the ending?

What was going on with the Deltas escaping? Did The Director know about the plan? Why did he decide to send Delta 6 out into the world after attempting to escape?

Well, the Director made it clear that all Deltas were under control and acted more or less according to his plans up until Azriel decided to leave the Boryokudan, so I guess this was their “final test”.

If you found yourselves in the position of the Deltas, would you prefer to have your old memories and identity, or would you start from where you are, knowing what you know in the moment? Third option: go for another complete whipe and just wander off into the world.

I think I’d have taken my memories back, thank you) In fact I don’t see any future for them in their current state: Azriel was basically lobotomized and left with no memories at all, and Sayuri spent the last year living as a bum, with no social skills and no perspectives. And that’s a dystopian future we are talking here, not even our dystopian present. I imagine Kane will be nursing them as long as he can, hiding from the Boryokudan and probably the Director’s sponsors until they are caught, or maybe some rebels appear on the horizon and recruit them, creating a VERY cliched plot turn… So maybe the game doesn’t need a sequel after all))

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Nico2021 - 19 June 2022 09:20 AM

......Easy difficulty felt easy for me and i dont think that if someone payed a little attention on tutorial would have a real problem afterwards on easy difficulty.

Unfortunately paying lots of attention to the tutorial (+ YT footage to observe)  doesn’t compensate for unresponsive keyboard control &/or physical lack of dexterity.

Total Posts: 34

Joined 2006-06-19

PM

Thanks for the playthrough! I’ve only just returned to these forums after many years away so I was unfortunately too late to join in, but I really enjoyed reading everyone’s posts.

I actually interviewed Joshua Nuernberger (Gemini Rue’s creator) a few month’s after the game’s original release in 2011. For anyone who fancies a read, it’s still available to read on my website here.

I am the founder of Alternative Magazine Online - a UK website offering alternative views on films, games, books, music and more! I am also currently working with Revolution Software co-founder/programmer Tony Warriner on ‘Revolution: The Quest for Game Development Greatness’ - now live on Kickstarter!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top