• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Best cat puzzles

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Need I say more?  Wink

From Gabriel Knight to Secret Files, cat puzzles have always been a staple of adventure gaming. I want your best, cleverest, most devious puzzles involving felines.

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Milo and the Magpies is all about cats, but the cleverest puzzle in the game is the laser puzzle with the Sphinx cat.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

LadyKestrel beat me to it. Milo is a fun little game.

I’m sure there are lots of cat puzzles out there that I’ve forgotten all about. But there’s one cat that left a strong impression on me: Franz in Bad Mojo. Avoiding him was not always easy when he was eager for a little snack between meals.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 844

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Throwing the boot at the cat to rescue the mouse. For sure.

No wait…turning the cat into a cookie and feeding it to his master.

Either way, KQ has the kitties cornered.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

No matter what everyone says, I loved the cat hair mustache puzzle from Gabriel Knight 3 the moment I solved it. In fact up until the mid-2000s I had no idea it was advertised as “one of the worst puzzles that killed the adventure genre” by some critics, and I still find that statement absolutely ridiculous. Sure, it’s a bit silly, but so do most traditional adventure puzzles, and as such it was a great throwback to older times (gather several items to construct a disguise) and a nice introduction to the long, complex story that starts on the light side and slowly moves into darkness. Gabe’s witty character makes it work even better. And the angry cat too.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Doom - 12 May 2022 09:12 AM

No matter what everyone says, I loved the cat hair mustache puzzle from Gabriel Knight 3 the moment I solved it. In fact up until the mid-2000s I had no idea it was advertised as “one of the worst puzzles that killed the adventure genre” by some critics, and I still find that statement absolutely ridiculous. Sure, it’s a bit silly, but so do most traditional adventure puzzles, and as such it was a great throwback to older times (gather several items to construct a disguise) and a nice introduction to the long, complex story that starts on the light side and slowly moves into darkness. Gabe’s witty character makes it work even better. And the angry cat too.

It’s a classic. It didn’t kill the genre, it just incapacitated it through the supreme power of moon logic.

Total Posts: 417

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

There’s sure to be more on the horizon with Nine Noir Lives, Stray, and Cats and the other lives.

Total Posts: 129

Joined 2007-05-15

PM

I’m surprised no one has mentioned the Cat Puzzle in Day of the Tentacle!  That’s got to be one of the best!  So classic!

*Squeak squeak squeak*

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

Nelza - 12 May 2022 04:02 PM

I’m surprised no one has mentioned the Cat Puzzle in Day of the Tentacle!  That’s got to be one of the best!  So classic!

*Squeak squeak squeak*

It’s not even the only cat puzzle, there’s several. Because there’s also “the skunk” puzzle.

But like most of DoTT puzzles, they’re are golden.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 844

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

millenia - 14 May 2022 01:20 PM
Nelza - 12 May 2022 04:02 PM

*Squeak squeak squeak*

It’s not even the only cat puzzle, there’s several. Because there’s also “the skunk” puzzle.

But like most of DoTT puzzles, they’re are golden.

Was thinking the same thing. I thought that squeak puzzle was one of the hardest in the whole game.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I actually read some reviews of DoTT where this particular puzzle was referred to as a prime example of “moon logic”. Personally I thought it was quite clever (unlike the skunk one).

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i am not sure, but KQ’s last puzzle is an example of moon logic for me, MI’s ‘monkey wrench’ was also, so I guess before DoTT, moon logic existed

Total Posts: 262

Joined 2014-12-25

PM

I actually solved the skunk puzzle in DotT because of the cartoons I used to watch when I was younger. Specifically the ones with Pepe le Pew. He always mistook a cat with a white stripe on her back for another skunk.
Some puzzles require a certain knowledge of pop culture and therefore age poorly. This is one of them.

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

This is probably a personal interpretation, but moon logic got a bad rep that I think it doesn’t deserve and might’ve been detrimental to the genre. I also apologize in advance.

The genre was past it’s heyday. Puzzle solutions had gotten convoluted or random. They were often weirdly specific and completely arbitrary at the same time. This is the nature of the beast. Anything can be the solution: if you can imagine it, you can try it. But 90% of what you try won’t work. The input is open, there is nothing in the core mechanics of the game that informs you of the rules and at the same time, it’s strictly guarded by authorial intent.

That’s generally considered bad design. Things have to be intuitive, immersive and easy to write about. And it’s pretty much how adventure games work. How is it possible that some of these games have received popular and critical acclaim, while using the same mechanics as all those guessing games that had overstayed their welcome by a decade or so?

Moon logic. Thinking of things that only made sense in the author’s mind. There’s logic, there are good riddles, there’s signposting for the stuff that might be a bit out there and then there’s the territory you really want to avoid.

I feel defining moon logic on these terms and trying to avoid it hasn’t served the genre well. Here’s a different interpretation of the term that may or may not be useful:

Moon logic relates to (real world) logic as Moon gravity to gravity on Earth. It’s not about lunacy, or being “out there”, it’s about translating the logical steps from your experience into the leaps caused by the different but specific gravitational pull of a place that is both familiar and different. I think pretty much all narrative media works like this and good moon logic is established by communicating the general “physics” in the orbit occupied by the player and the npcs. If you can somehow establish that magic works, under defined circumstances, the presence of these circumstances becomes the logic.

Moon logic is an amazing tool. A well designed adventure game can explain the general structure and what action and reaction means in world of the game and base puzzle solutions on extrapolation. It’s also a way of problem-solving that incorporates so-called unstructured and structured thinking. It kind of warps your brain, but in a weird way, it becomes a skill. I heard the phrase “Neurons that fire together wire together” today, in regard to problem solving in real life; I think it applies here as well.

TLDR; moon logic is good, leaps of logic are fun if the leaps make sense in relation to the steps they represent in the logic of daily life. As long as the leaps can be consequently explained by the game’s internal logic, there’s beauty in this type of game design.

And cats intuitively understand moon logic. In fact, a healthy specimen can master any form of gravitational pull. Make of that what you will.

Total Posts: 262

Joined 2014-12-25

PM

I’ve seen games accused of moon logic where it just isn’t true.

Zork: Grand Inquisitor is one of them. But in fact, the game world has its own logic. Once you get behind it, it makes sense that changing a sign changes the nature of the thing it describes. Or taking things in the game a lot more literally than you normally would is a necessita in this game.

Toon Struck is another example. You can look at a walkthrough many times, asking yourself what sane person is supposed to come up with that solution. Or you can look at the puzzle asking yourself “What would Bugs Bunny do?” and solf it on your own.

Lucas Arts games tend to rely on your knowledge of pop culture and idioms.

Sierra has some moon logic, yes, but some puzzles in King’s Quest simply require you to know your fairytales and myths from the real world.

It’s only a moon logic solution to me if no knowledge or ingame logic in the (real or fictional) world can help me figure it out on my own.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top