• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: Home ā†’ Forum Home ā†’ Gaming ā†’ Adventure ā†’ Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Mike the Wino

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Return to Monkey island by Ron Gilbert : 19 september 2022

Total Posts: 601

Joined 2014-11-29

PM

It’s gonna be soooooo good! šŸ”„

Total Posts: 115

Joined 2009-05-12

PM

I agree with some of the sentiments after reading the interview. I’m not too big on the art style either, it has that clean Flash game style that you guys mentioned. If they didn’t have the budget to go big with the art I would have preferred to keep the Thimbleweed Park style but I also understand them and agree with them when they say they don’t want to be stuck with pixel art and it’s good to change and modernize.

The whole streamlining also worries me but as long as the story and puzzles manage to remain good and challenging then it’s all good. I do understand them when they say they have to also cater to console players because things change. Games are not played mostly in PC’s like 30 years ago and they know this, as much as they want to keep it traditional. I myself enjoy playing more with a controller nowadays, that’s how I played Syberia 4 for instance and I really enjoyed that, but I wish they didn’t have to compromise on puzzle design because of this. There has to be a happy middle ground.

Total Posts: 84

Joined 2012-06-18

PM

Jackal - 14 April 2022 11:12 AM

Check out Emily’s interview with Ron and Dave, hot off the presses.

Includes first in-game pics!

Very good read. I am more excited now!
Good job Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 229

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

I’m not too worried about the way Ron talked about using a controller. I don’t really think they should be tied to the “click on a verb, click on a target” thing. it’s too slow and arduous and takes up too much screen real estate.

I personally use the Steam controller for all of my games and I’m totally in love with it, because i play my PC on my TV from my couch. I wish it really caught on with people, or that they’d release a v2 that was even better. It’s the ultimate middle ground for me.

But what DOES worry me, that I know Ron understands, is that I don’t want to lose all the great opportunities for puzzles and good jokes. The benefit of the verbs is that it’s 9 opportunities for jokes, and/or solutions. “Pick up Voodoo Queen” warrants a great one-liner. If the system is too stream-lined then you lose all of that. You also lose all the combinations of actions that one could use to solve a puzzle, it made the design better. I’d be totally fine with verb hotkeys mapped to controller buttons. Or if not verbs, some kind of actions or tools that are interesting. That’d be super fun and opens the door for great puzzle design.

What I don’t love is one catch-all button for “interact” because it simplifies and outsources all the great thinking involved with the original games. Even if you were just using trial and error it was FUN to try weird verbs with different items to see what Guybrush would say. They need a solid replacement for that. I’m open minded but concerned.

I am bummed that a lot of fan backlash always plays out in a way where developers see it as “oh they just stubbornly want it exactly like the old way over and over”, I actually really agree with the philosophy of moving forward and trying new things, but I think they get tripped up in fooling themselves when they’re actually not trying anything new, they’re just adopting what they said they hated in current adventure games.

Total Posts: 229

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

I get a slightly more confident vibe from the Verge article. I’m still dismayed there’s not a single question about puzzles.

I think the game is going to be, at least, good. My hope is that it’s a total return to form. My dream is that maybe it’s so successful and great that they make a bunch more.

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2007-04-16

PM

Seems like my original post from a couple of weeks ago didn’t get through. Love to see the hype and discussion here!

Awesome news, looking forward to this one so much!

The new screenshots in the articles convinced me about the art style a bit more, although I too would have loved an modern update of the MI2 style best. Although I did love COMI and it’s style, I do think the series took a bit too much of a comic style turn too my taste.
But hey - enough of that already, I’m totally excited and can’t wait to see what’s in store…

Anyone know if there’s likely to be a boxed release, as in the old days?
Who knows, maybe even a nice new copy protection wheel (a built-in authenticator device or something..?)

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Jouke Koning - 23 April 2022 08:01 PM

Seems like my original post from a couple of weeks ago didn’t get through.

I think this is the second comment I see about a post disappearing or not appearing at all. Has anyone else experienced this issue?

Who knows, maybe even a nice new copy protection wheel (a built-in authenticator device or something..?)

My heart just skipped a beat.

Total Posts: 84

Joined 2012-06-18

PM

Jouke Koning - 23 April 2022 08:01 PM

Hope so…
https://limitedrungames.com/products/monkey-island-30th-anniversary-anthology-pc

Total Posts: 1662

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Ron has made a post on his blog about Monkey Island and I think I’m going to wait a while before I get the game, because I’m just not a fan of his attitude towards the people who don’t like the art style. He can make whatever game he wants but then he shouldn’t act shocked when some dont like his art choice. PS I can’t believe he didn’t like the art of day of the tentacle when this looks like a low-grade version of that.

https://grumpygamer.com

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Jdawg445 - 02 May 2022 02:28 PM

Ron has made a post on his blog about Monkey Island and I think I’m going to wait a while before I get the game, because I’m just not a fan of his attitude towards the people who don’t like the art style. He can make whatever game he wants but then he shouldn’t act shocked when some dont like his art choice. PS I can’t believe he didn’t like the art of day of the tentacle when this looks like a low-grade version of that.

https://grumpygamer.com

He says “I wanted to keep moving Monkey Island forward because it’s interesting, fun, and exciting”.

Hmm. Do I find the art we’ve been shown to be “moving forward?” I’m not sure really. Part of me thinks maybe, the other part sees it as a cheaper adaptation of the Knights and Bikes style, which I actually really liked and thought fit that game well.

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 683

Joined 2010-02-05

PM

So far I’m not a fan of the art, but that won’t stop me from getting the game. I wasn’t a fan of Tales art either.

Ron is getting a little defensive. It’s a pretty normal response, I won’t hold it against him.

I Am the Knight of the Order of the Sun!

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

SpeedBo - 03 May 2022 12:25 PM

So far I’m not a fan of the art, but that won’t stop me from getting the game. I wasn’t a fan of Tales art either.

Ron is getting a little defensive. It’s a pretty normal response, I won’t hold it against him.

I have no problem with him defending the choices he makes, it’s just how ron acts . He is like trust me I’m the Mad genius, you will/better love what I do. Yet I’m thinking well I do love Monkey Island 1 didn’t love Monkey Island 2 near as much and not a fan at all of thimbleweed park. so no I’m not just going to blindly trust you. I think the better response would have been something like I know some people do not like the art, but rest assured we’re making the best game we possibly can, hope you all enjoy it. Instead he takes subtle shots at day of the tentacle, and Monkey Island 3 for no reason, when both of those games at least in my humble opinion look way better than what he’s producing with this Monkey Island game by a country mile.

Joined 2010-02-05

PM

Yes that would’ve been a much better response. And I agree about Thimbleweed park and the art of MI 3/DOT. I guess what I’m trying to say is; we don’t have a choice in the matter. And since the game isn’t out yet, I’m not going to jump to any conclusions.

Thankfully we don’t have too long to wait.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

SpeedBo - 03 May 2022 01:23 PM

Yes that would’ve been a much better response. And I agree about Thimbleweed park and the art of MI 3/DOT. I guess what I’m trying to say is; we don’t have a choice in the matter. And since the game isn’t out yet, I’m not going to jump to any conclusions.

Thankfully we don’t have too long to wait.

Exactly at the end of the day Graphics don’t matter near as much to me as the story and gameplay. but his attitude is really turning me off to the game, more so than the game itself if that makes sense?

Joined 2010-02-05

PM

I hear you. 

His “trust me Iā€™m the Mad genius, you will/better love what I do” sounding wording probably stems from years him wanting to return to Monkey Island and do it his way, and his fans screaming they wanted exactly that. Now that it’s finally happening those same fans are disappointed before they even played the game.

The way I read it was more matter of fact than derogatory. I like to picture how it would be said in person, and I have a hard time picturing Ron sounding that petty.

Anyway, here’s hoping for the best.

You are here: Home ā†’ Forum Home ā†’ Gaming ā†’ Adventure ā†’ Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top