• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Dale

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Return to Monkey island by Ron Gilbert : 19 september 2022

Total Posts: 84

Joined 2012-06-18

PM

Holy moly, Day 0 buy!

Total Posts: 229

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

Rarely visit these forums anymore but had to check in with this news. My takes and questions:

- good lord this is exciting news, the biggest possible announcement in adventure games in like 30 years. I hope this also means Lucasfilms revamps their interest in the genre.

- I have to admit I’m really disappointed in the art style. Flash mobile style animation. I really really hope the trailer isn’t representative or maybe that Ron reads the comments and sorts it out before release. Monkey Island graphics are a huge part of the appeal, the first two actually had a dark and deeply atmospheric vibe. Hand drawn and textured and lush and got your imagination reeling. You wanted to LIVE there. This sequel deserves beautiful and detailed art.

- Some people saying they didn’t like MI2 is just crazy to me. Also, the ending is one of the cleanest and most elegant closures I can imagine. Guybrush is a little boy who wandered off into Pirates Of The Caribbean, and let his imagination go.  It makes so much sense, and brings together every 4th wall and anachronistic moment in the first two games. Really curious where RG takes it, I hope he has something even deeper.

- Some of you are saying stuff about 2022 being amazing so far. What else are you referring to that’s so great? Very interested.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

RockNFknRoll - 08 April 2022 12:50 PM

- Some of you are saying stuff about 2022 being amazing so far. What else are you referring to that’s so great? Very interested.

Off the top of my hat, Syberia 4 was released and has been fairly well-received after the dismal 3rd game.

Ken and Roberta Williams are making a new game after 20-years of absence from the industry. Now, this might not turn out to be a super great game, but it’s nice to see them coming back nonetheless. The game they are making is a remake of the granddaddy of adventure games, Colossal Cave, which was the title that lead Roberta to bug Ken into programming her first design, Mystery House back in 1980. This new version of Colossal Cave will have a PC and a VR version.

Chris Jones, with his company Big Finish, is making a remake of the classic FMV title, Pandora Directive. They have the original tapes, which they’ve been remastering into 4K with some pretty impressive results. If all goes well, this could turn out to be something special.
https://bigfinishgames.com/third-times-the-charm/

Total Posts: 229

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

tomimt - 08 April 2022 02:26 PM

Off the top of my hat, Syberia 4 was released and has been fairly well-received after the dismal 3rd game.

Ken and Roberta Williams are making a new game after 20-years of absence from the industry. Now, this might not turn out to be a super great game, but it’s nice to see them coming back nonetheless. The game they are making is a remake of the granddaddy of adventure games, Colossal Cave, which was the title that lead Roberta to bug Ken into programming her first design, Mystery House back in 1980. This new version of Colossal Cave will have a PC and a VR version.

Chris Jones, with his company Big Finish, is making a remake of the classic FMV title, Pandora Directive. They have the original tapes, which they’ve been remastering into 4K with some pretty impressive results. If all goes well, this could turn out to be something special.
https://bigfinishgames.com/third-times-the-charm/

Oh ok, thanks for answering. I knew about the first two but not the third.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i cant wait to see how bad this going to be, and nothing but milking the legacy of MI for a few quids, they really shouldn’t tackle with such an IP, it is the core base of the genre

Total Posts: 417

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

So far in 2022 almost every game I’ve been looking forward to was good or great:
Perfect Tides - extremely well written, raw, coming of age story. with more replayability and depth than many might notice.

Syberia The World Before - Return to form for the series, recapturing the magic of the originals and elevating beyond them in certain areas.

Yotsume God Reunion - Heart wrenching Japanese adventure game w/ solid gameplay, some cool meta narrative branching, and very enjoyable character interaction.

Dexter Stardust - Let down by some dicey voice acting, but overall an enjoyable Lucas Arts-like adventure with a fun story & good soundtrack.

NORCO - playing through it now and it’s on track to be another GOTY contender with Perfect Tides, for me.

On top of that there’s so many more games scheduled to drop this year that have potential: Rosewater, STASIS: Bone Totem, Read Only Memories: Neurodiver, The Night is Grey, Nightmare Frames, Oxenfree II Lost Signals, Beyond The Edge of Owlsgard, Unusual Findings, AI The Somnium Files: Nirvana Initiative, Loco Motive, Incantamentum, Crowns & Pawns, and more…

Then on top of THAT a new Monkey Island is coming out in a matter of months? Last year might have been a little slow but 2022 is looking crazy.

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Also the sequels from two of my favorite games of the last few years: FAR: Changing Tides and NAIRI: Rising Tides.

Hey, what’s up with all the tide-related games in 2022? Maybe Gilbert should change the title to Tides of Monkey Island Cool

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 417

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

NAIRI is another one I’ve been eyeballing somewhat. Haven’t played the first game yet, though.

Really the only drawback to the games I’ve enjoyed this year is the offerings are puzzle light overall (somewhat of an overgeneralization but, yeah). But I expect Return To Monkey Island will fill that gap splendidly, and I’ve got high hopes for STASIS, Owlsgard, and Crowns & Pawns for that as well. (also crossing my fingers that the Somnium’s and deductions in AI2 will be good)

Total Posts: 2072

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Advie - 08 April 2022 05:50 PM

i cant wait to see how bad this going to be, and nothing but milking the legacy of MI for a few quids, they really shouldn’t tackle with such an IP, it is the core base of the genre

Different people tackled with it three times since MI2, and it didn’t turn into garbage (I loved Escape and Tales for what they’re worth). And it’s Gilbert we are talking about who wants a real sequel, with original ideas thrown in. What could possibly go wrong?

PC means personal computer

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

but, they tackled with it when LucasFilm was still the establishment that it was, Doom.
but ‘what could possibly go wrong’ is something could not tell now, but I see ‘wrong’ all over.

remember True Detective ‘the original part’, I consider it the best series ever made besides Breaking bad, it was at a time rated 9.5, and now it’s 8.9 bc of the other two parts.

maybe it is not a big deal to tackle with it now, as I sounded before, but don’t tell me you think or expect they will even get close to the originals ‘art’, nevermind success or value

Total Posts: 1656

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

PlanetX - 08 April 2022 06:53 PM

NAIRI is another one I’ve been eyeballing somewhat. Haven’t played the first game yet, though.

Really the only drawback to the games I’ve enjoyed this year is the offerings are puzzle light overall (somewhat of an overgeneralization but, yeah). But I expect Return To Monkey Island will fill that gap splendidly, and I’ve got high hopes for STASIS, Owlsgard, and Crowns & Pawns for that as well. (also crossing my fingers that the Somnium’s and deductions in AI2 will be good)

I’m very interested in crowns and pawns and I don’t know if you know this but they’ve added voice acting to the demo and I think they picked excellent voice actors especially for the lead character.

Total Posts: 1656

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Advie - 08 April 2022 07:50 PM

but, they tackled with it when LucasFilm was still the establishment that it was, Doom.
but ‘what could possibly go wrong’ is something could not tell now, but I see ‘wrong’ all over.

remember True Detective ‘the original part’, I consider it the best series ever made besides Breaking bad, it was at a time rated 9.5, and now it’s 8.9 bc of the other two parts.

maybe it is not a big deal to tackle with it now, as I sounded before, but don’t tell me you think or expect they will even get close to the originals ‘art’, nevermind success or value

MI3 is prob my favorite and im not a huge fan of 2. Too much like twin peaks and thats just not something i really enjoy much. Same reason i didnt like thimbleweed park or kathy rain as much as others do.

Total Posts: 2072

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Advie - 08 April 2022 07:50 PM

I may be the only human on Earth who didn’t like the original True Detective Pan I seriously didn’t as I watched it only recently (both the 1st and 2nd seasons). But I agree that there was that certain mark of quality to all LucasArts games. I’m still certain that Sam & Max 2 would’ve been a better adventure in case it was released by LucasArts. But in this case it’s pretty much a win-win situation to me: Gilbert planned it so long ago that there are hardly any modern pitfalls that could ruin the whole franchise.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Doom - 08 April 2022 09:01 PM

Gilbert planned it so long ago that there are hardly any modern pitfalls that could ruin the whole franchise.

yea, that is the best thing for the whole project

Total Posts: 84

Joined 2012-06-18

PM

Advie - 08 April 2022 05:50 PM

Strongly disagree. I can’t wait to see how good this going to be.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top