• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445Veoviswalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Return to Monkey island by Ron Gilbert : 19 september 2022

Total Posts: 320

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

I don’t use a browser inside gaming (yet). VR OSs will improve and the needed resources will be less of an issue. Depending on the platform there exists overlay software and virtual desktops. Worst case scenario is to browse in your VR home environment.

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

Mancomb Seepgood is an MI inspired ‘interactive’ comic by LaFlu.

The mad maze took me longer than expected, at least I got rich and did not die.

Total Posts: 2081

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Has anyone seen this? A Return to Monkey Island trailer/screenshots demake, just how the fans of the original dilogy wanted to see it Grin A bit rough around the edges, but it still looks much more oldschool. Guess it won’t be a problem to demake the whole game when it’s ready.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

Too many individual pixels. I wait for the Darkside Detective conversion.

Total Posts: 417

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

No news about this in a minute. Well, I guess it hasn’t really been that long but I’d like to see some actual gameplay since it’s coming out this year.

Total Posts: 19

Joined 2009-05-20

PM

Some tidbits about the game from Noah Falstein, a developer from Lucasfilm Games who worked on Last Crusade and Fate of Atlantis who’s playtested the game:

““in the first 10 minutes of the game, Ron and Dave managed to do something I would have thought was impossible in terms of storytelling

t’ll be worth the wait even if people are raving about parts they don’t like. Because this will certainly excite. There’s plenty in there to discuss for years to come. I actually had a kind of a vision as I was looking at this and thinking about some of the elements of storytelling in it.

That, at the Game Developers conference every year they now do a poster session for students who have been studying games and they will talk about a game and they, you know, are analysing it and I realized what they have done with Return to Monkey Island I fully expect will be the subject of Master’s and PhD thesis in times to come.

Just because there’re so many interesting ways of telling a story and exploration of what an interactive storytelling is all about that, you know, on a very serious scholarly level. Not to make this sound stuffy at all, but it’s just so deep that I think that people will find it fascinating for years to come.”

Source:

This sounds so exciting!
It sounds like they’re actually doing something interesting and different here. I’m so curious to find it what the opening of this game actually is.

I really can’t wait for this game to come out!

Total Posts: 525

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Yes, for me that quote from Noah is the most interesting thing yet to come out about the game. I wasn’t very excited at first about the game because we have enough Monkey Island sequels where it’s just another comedy game featuring Guybrush - why should this time be different, besides Ron Gilbert being involved? This goes some way to answering that question.

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 19

Joined 2009-05-20

PM

Charophycean - 25 June 2022 10:38 AM

Yes, for me that quote from Noah is the most interesting thing yet to come out about the game. I wasn’t very excited at first about the game because we have enough Monkey Island sequels where it’s just another comedy game featuring Guybrush - why should this time be different, besides Ron Gilbert being involved? This goes some way to answering that question.

I’m not gonna say I wasn’t excited before, because I was, very much so. But this quote has made me a lot more excited!
Like you said this implies it will be something more than just another Monkey Island game, which is what I always hoped this would be.
I would love it if time has passed in real time and kid Guybrush is now in his 30’s when this new adventure begins. Maybe he has always wondered if everything he went through during the previous games was really just a dream? Maybe the game is you revisiting locations trying to find out if MI1 and 2 actually happened?
But maybe that scenario isn’t out there enough for Noah’s quote to fit.
Either way super excited to find out!

Total Posts: 525

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Don’t get me wrong, I was looking forward to another Monkey Island game. But 3, 4 and 5 while all being enjoyable sequels ranging in quality from “pretty good” to “great”, were missing that inspired touch of genius I got from LeChuck’s Revenge, and hopefully (going by Noah’s comments) can get it again from Return too.

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 31

Joined 2018-02-08

PM

Santar - 25 June 2022 11:16 AM

I would love it if time has passed in real time and kid Guybrush is now in his 30’s when this new adventure begins. Maybe he has always wondered if everything he went through during the previous games was really just a dream? Maybe the game is you revisiting locations trying to find out if MI1 and 2 actually happened?
But maybe that scenario isn’t out there enough for Noah’s quote to fit.
Either way super excited to find out!

So you’re hoping for a beer-bellied (grog-bellied?) Guybrush with balding patches? I suppose that would be hilarious :-)

The main point I’m getting from this interview is that Noah would not dream of touching a renewal of Indy 4 though. The very vocal minority that has hazed the upcoming game for the visual aspects certainly are scary, even including death-threats, and there is not much upside to it. It’s not like making a good adventure game would make you a millionaire. I would not want to approach this issue either, and I’m honestly amazed that Ron would bother.

Charophycean - 25 June 2022 11:51 AM

Don’t get me wrong, I was looking forward to another Monkey Island game. But 3, 4 and 5 while all being enjoyable sequels ranging in quality from “pretty good” to “great”, were missing that inspired touch of genius I got from LeChuck’s Revenge, and hopefully (going by Noah’s comments) can get it again from Return too.

I think MI3 was good, the only thing that kept it short of it’s predecessors was that is was woefully…short. I also think MI4 was much better than it was perceived to be. Not sure what MI5 is, but assuming you mean Tales it was just awful.

I keep my hopes up for RMI. I think the graphic style looks pretty good, and I doubt that Ron would attempt this without a clear idea of how a new MI would be worthwhile.

Message #43

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

I expect RTMI to be the best p&c adventure released in 2022 due to the people being involved, the production values, the music, the writing, the puzzles etc. It would be disappointing if it won’t be the best in the series.

Monkey Island just isn’t my most favorite IP. The setting is good but not great. It’s not always my type of humor. Some characters are rather annoying and boring. Some scenes and gameplay feel off. None is fully convincing, but each MI also offers a number of aspects which are very strong (EGA graphics in MI1, the music in MI2, the overall in MI3). I had to force myself finishing MI4 and Tales.

I’m confident that it will be a nice adventure and I’m looking forward to it. If I had to choose, I would have favored a true sequel to Maniac Mansion (with its six characters), of course a succsessor to The Dig or something new, but that’s not happening right now, so, it’s gonna be RTMI.

Total Posts: 444

Joined 2012-03-30

PM

Bam.

Total Posts: 466

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

The website’s had an update too. Also this confirms that it’s coming to the Switch.

Now Playing: Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom, Lies of P
Recently Completed: Harold Halibut, Another Crab’s Treasure, Botany Manor, Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy, Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth, Silent Hill: The Short Message
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum. Broken Sword: Reforged CE

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

I like how the cook looks like.

And Guybrush, looks better than in the SEs.

Total Posts: 1664

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Still looks like bootleg tim burton animation, just not my jam. The voiceover was great

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top