• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Return to Monkey island by Ron Gilbert : 19 september 2022

Total Posts: 84

Joined 2012-06-18

PM

Toymafia1988 - 12 May 2022 03:30 PM

Also i still need to beat Escape. Everytime i try to play it i’m immediatedly put off by the tank controls (i wish we had a remastered version like Grim Fandango that fixed some of these issues)

Same here. Poor control, lifeless 3D graphics and bad camera angle Meh

Total Posts: 172

Joined 2011-06-03

PM

I’ve played it several times over the years. I just map it to a gamepad controller, works fine. Apart from monkey combat, the story is ok.

But you are correct that the graphics are dated. And it was also heavily criticized for that upon release. Without any devs deleting comments or shutting down forums.

Total Posts: 5848

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’m very much looking forward to this next game. I love the artwork & to me it’s a vast improvement on that of Escape from Monkey Island & also Tales of Monkey Island.

Hopefully the game will entice a whole new younger generation to the world of Monkey Island & perhaps even to experience the older games with their dated graphics (which I also love btw)

Total Posts: 410

Joined 2018-09-09

PM

Also i still need to beat Escape. Everytime i try to play it i’m immediatedly put off by the tank controls (i wish we had a remastered version like Grim Fandango that fixed some of these issues)

*sigh*

You and me both.  I can only assume that the fella who made the mouse mod for Grim Fandango doesn’t care for Escape From Monkey Island enough to do the same for that game.  Having mouse control wouldn’t magically make it a good game but it sure would be nice to have that option.

Total Posts: 320

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

You can lower the pain by (remapping the keys and) using a controller. There is some good music in EFMI too. Apart from that, well, it’s EFMI. It’s honest. The ugly low resolution textures, awkward animations of lowest poly characters with dead eyes and camera angles which at least point at the ‘action’ don’t mislead you into believing that this is something different than an annoying experience.

Total Posts: 686

Joined 2010-02-05

PM

With a little help from dgVoodoo, you can raise the resolution of the real-time rendered characters and objects in MI4.
It does make things sharper and generally better. The downside is it can mess up a few shadows.

I Am the Knight of the Order of the Sun!

Total Posts: 172

Joined 2011-06-03

PM

EMI will eventually be fully supported in ScummVM as well. Eventually.

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

An older interesting interview with Mike Stemmle about EFMI (and S&M:TTIV).

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2022-05-07

PM

St_Eddie - 13 May 2022 03:28 PM

*sigh*

You and me both.  I can only assume that the fella who made the mouse mod for Grim Fandango doesn’t care for Escape From Monkey Island enough to do the same for that game.  Having mouse control wouldn’t magically make it a good game but it sure would be nice to have that option.

Maybe one day… for now i’m going to grit my teeth and play it as it is.

Speaking of Escape, I’m finally ready to start my Monkey-a-thon. I was hoping for a release date before I started but I’m getting a bit impatient waiting for news.

My only issue is what order to play them.

With Return being a Monkey Island game that takes place right after 2, my natural conclusion is to play 2 last.

So I’m thinking of playing the Non Gilbert trilogy first (Curse, Escape and Tales) and then play the Ron Gilbert trilogy of Secret, Revenge and Return.

Kinda like watching star wars is better out of order with episodes 4, 5, 6, 1, 2 & 3

Or…

Do i just play 1 and 2, then play Return… then play Curse, Escape and Tales.

The lack of clarity on what Return is makes it hard to plan a marathon…  Neutral

Total Posts: 527

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Play them in alphabetical order: Curse, Escape, LeChuck’s Revenge, Return, Secret, Tales

AKA Charo

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

Uhm.

I wouldn’t want to play TSOMI, EFMI or Tales anymore.

I recommend playing MI2 & MI3 and maybe browsing through a playthrough of MI1 before.

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2022-05-07

PM

meteor - 21 May 2022 12:17 PM

Uhm.

I recommend playing MI2 & MI3 and maybe browsing through a playthrough of MI1 before.

Mi1 is my favourite one Grin

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

Then it’s your playthrough I recommend watching. Smile

Total Posts: 851

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

meteor - 21 May 2022 12:17 PM

Uhm.

Do you not like TSOMI and Tales, or are you just bored with them?

I was very pleasantly surprised by Tales. Even though I really enjoy the series, the only one that I think is a masterpiece is Curse (last 10 minutes or so not withstanding); so when I found myself really really enjoying Tales, I was pleasantly surprised.
The insult sword fighting really bogs down the first game for me. It’s a good idea for the first play through, but it’s tedious on subsequent playthroughs. And I thought the insults in Curse, where everything has to rhyme, were much funnier.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

I think TSOMI didn’t age this well compared other old Lucasfilm Games Adventures. It’s easier for me to pick up Zak somehow.

I enjoyed some aspects and moments of Tales quite a bit but others got on my nerves too. I don’t feel a desire to return to the game. I enjoyed a number of riddles, moments with specific characters and some relaxing Land tunes. I didn’t like the episodic structure and its bad influence on the game, the low data quality due to keeping the file sizes low, some episodes felt tedious and boring. At the end, the game felt like nothing seemed to mean anything, you just spent your time. For some games you can say ‘Hell. Yeah. This was worth it!’ no matter what and there are games you feel bad investing (too much) time and afterwards regret doing so. Overall Tales falls into the second category, for me. It isn’t the worst game on the planet. It just wasn’t the right thing for me.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top