• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough: Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Finished the game. Great ending, fun to see the whole gang together trading puns at each other Smile wish it was a longer chapter. Nice last puzzle with the SimUniverse stuff. The court dialogue was interesting maintaining the high quality of the writing and voice acting.

Concerning the doors puzzle was there a logic to it? I was just knocking on the doors and eventually Pyotr gave me the answer…

Glad this community playthrough arrived and I finally played this game, instead of stopping at that first word puzzle like I did years ago Meh when I was playing Legend games.

Total Posts: 2993

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

About the door puzzle solution (If I still recall it correctly): It’s just another word puzzle. My mother said to pick the very best=> mime, other, said, toothpick, the, very, best

Total Posts: 5052

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I certainly don’t deserve any credit for participating in the Community Playthrough. Although I enjoyed the opportunity to make a comment here and there.

This game has always been in my Top-Ten forever. If you don’t believe me, go to the archives and check it out.

As has another of my Top-Ten games, Freddy Pharkus, Frontier Pharmacist.

Although it may be too early for another Josh Mandel game, I suggest the above be put on the back burner for another Community Playthrough.

The good news is that you can purchase it pre-configured for DosBox.

As an observer, I think this was the best Playthrough ever.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5601

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I haven’t finished the last episode yet, but I hope to get to it this weekend.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 15

Joined 2013-01-31

PM

Sorry I have been so silent recently - I’ve been following along but nothing much seemed to warrant an immediate reply until now. So I’ll lump a bunch of comments together here now that we are at the end of the play through.

Glad you are all enjoying it. It was fun and challenging to work on and it is rewarding to watch you play though it. Josh, hope we can do something together like this again.

My acknowledgement to Duane Beck, master coder, for getting the scrolling in the space ship working right.

I sadly don’t remember much of the second 1/2 of the game. I was so busy fixing up the first 1/2 (as stated earlier, Squish’s story had trouble with missing animation states for the disguise) and moving onto art and audio integration that I didn’t work on the later stories as much.

The astrolabe I remember a little differently than Josh - we actually had a rogue programmer who had aspirations as a game designer. So he kept adding things that Josh didn’t design, like the astrolabe. It got added and removed several times until we had a chat with that programmer.

Interestingly enough, while I had little aspirations as a designer, Josh allowed me to assist a little (for which I am very appreciative!) In one instance I added dialog (very straight forward and unexceptional) for bluffing your way past the intercom in Ralph’s story. Josh, why was the dialog missing in the first place, and why have we never discussed this?

And the end section of the game was primarily accomplished via our dialog system, which was a compromise due to budget and time. Josh had originally planned something a bit more complicated - do you remember what it was Josh?

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon - 4.5 / 5

An ensemble of great characters in the punniest game ever made!

The Good:
- Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon provides a nice introduction to the world of Spider Robinson’s book series, without you needing to have prior knowledge of the books’ content. And that’s a good thing because I only know of his books because of the game.
- Spider Robinson’s folk songs that were written specifically for this game are really fun. I listened to them occasionaly during the game.
- The graphics in the game still hold up, which is no mean feat for a game that was released back in 1997. The characters and backgrounds are both clear and pretty realistically portrayed. The game also features a couple of cool cutscenes.
- Voice acting in the game is good all-round. The voices match the characters, and the acting is never bad. In fact, at times the acting really stands out (but more on that under ‘The Great’).
- The stories in the game are really good and diverse. You go to wildly varying locations, sometimes even in different eras. A couple of the stories surpass the others (Al Phee’s, Pyotr’s and especially Josie’s story) and could very well be included amongst ‘The Great’ in this listy review.
- The game has a pretty well-balanced difficulty throughout. Apart from a couple of hard wordplay puzzles, most of the puzzles in the game will be solved without trial-and-error, without having you completely stumped, but also without ever feeling like a walk in the park.
- Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon is a really lengthy game. You easily net 30 hours of gaming with it, yet it never drags. A lot of the time spent in the game is spent reading all the descriptions and puns, but that’s a good thing. In fact it was refreshing having to read this much in a game again.

The Great:
- Most of the main characters are very likeable. Doc, Noah and Josie are people you really would like to get to know in real life (which is a credit to both Spider Robinson’s writings and Josh Mandel’s adaptation). But above all: Jake Stonebender, the character you play as throughout the game, is one of the best-written characters I’ve ever had the pleasure of watching/playing. The guy is simply loveable, with a great personality, and he’s been given a LOT of depth. This game manages - in a time span of about 30 hours - to make Jake Stonebender feel like family.
- Not only the main characters are well-written: this game also has a couple of really memorable minor characters. After you’ve finished this game, you’ll frequently think back at Guzman (the funny/creepy pilot), Pyotr’s drier-than-the-desert butler, the old gypsy woman, not one but two hilariously uncooperative receptionists/secretaries, the insanely intimidating Dr. Dupliscidus, etc. The game is just filled with distinctive parts and moments.
- The game has an extreme level of interactivity. Every single screen is just brimming with interactive hotspots, most of which have multiple actions that can be performed (all of which have their own separate description or even series of descriptions). You’ll be clicking on everything, trying everything with everything, just to see what the description in the game will be. You’ll even be doing more of this than you’ll be actually advancing the story. And the most important aspect of this interactivity is:
- The puns! The puns! Practically every single action in the game is accompanied by a pun. Sometimes dialogues (d)evolve into a salvo of puns. Everywhere, *anywhere* you click, you’ll have a pun thrown at you. And not just that, but they will consistently be funny. You basically will be smiling and laughing your way through the entire game, which is exactly why having hundreds of clickable hotspots is so time consuming: you won’t want to miss a single joke in this game! I don’t think I’ve ever played a game that was this funny *all the time*. And even if the odd joke misses the mark, the game is fully self-aware of its punny nature and will pretty much mock its own type of humour at every opportunity. Laughing out loud every couple of minutes is not something that’s out of the ordinary with this game - it’s a true triumph of comedy!
- Josie’s story contains a section where you have to make chocolate, starting with some cacao beans and using nothing but a vague recipe in a brochure and some medieval equipment. For me personally, the entire chocolate-making puzzle is one of the very best puzzles the adventure genre has ever produced: it’s logical, you get a rough guideline to help you (so you at least know what you’re supposed to do and you’re never really stuck), it takes quite a few steps to complete (none of which are obtuse - so it’s complex, but perfectly doable), some parts have a very clever (and not too obvious) solution, and the entire thing is even educational because it depicts how you really make chocolate. Going over all these steps will make you crave chocolate, so you could even say that this part of the game turns into a sensory experience…
- Squish’s story ends with one of the best visual gags ever in a game, proving that not all the humour in this masterpiece comes from puns.
- There is a single moment where the tone of the game changes, and it’s handled brilliantly. In a game that relies on comedy for just about everything, they managed to sneak in this subdued and effective moment that packs an enormous emotional wallop. It completely blindsided me and the power of its writing (and accompanying voice acting) made me shed a tear. This one moment presses home the depth of the characters and the humanity of Callahan’s Place and it’ll linger in the back of your head…

...to be continued…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

...continuing…

The Bad:
- Some of the music gets repetitive after a while (especially in rooms with hundreds of hotspot interactions to read). This is noticeable the most during Pyotr’s story - coincidentally the story with the most interactivity and the longest periods of time spent at the same screens.
- There is an overreliance on wordplay puzzles that can sometimes be quite difficult for younger players, or for non-native (American) English speakers.
- Al Phee’s story contains a couple of very minor text display bugs. Absolutely nothing to fret over, though.

That’s pretty much it.

The game is just great. It’s a tribute to camaraderie that’ll leave you thinking about human nature while having you laugh your heart out. Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon is not just one of the funniest games I’ve ever played, it’s also one of the very best!

I really wanted to give this 5 stars, but for some reason I can’t bring myself to it. Maybe it’s the fact that Ralph’s story and Parabolus’ story (the last two we played) were the “weaker” (if you can call them that) stories in the game. Plus, I’ve always used the “when in doubt, pick the lowest rating” motto.
It still puts Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon at either number 7 or 8 in my all-time top 10 of adventure games. Not too shabby if you ask me.

A big thank you to Sefir for competently leading this great playthrough, and a very big thank you to both Josh Mandel and Jim Montanus, not only for making such a brilliant game, but also for turning the playthrough into something like an Ultimate Special Collector’s Edition Director’s Cut Version… Tongue

And also a small slap on the hand of TimovieMan for suffering from writer’s block in reverse: not knowing when to stop typing. Shifty Eyed
Seriously, my reviews get longer and longer each time (and it’s not helping their quality, not one iota).

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

^
What he said! Smile

My only question would be the “Star” rating. As I have mentioned, CCS has always been in my top ten. No game is perfect. I agree that the last two episodes are the weakest.

(Aside: I would like to know if the game sequences were created in the approximate order that they appeared in the game. If so, that would certainly be a clue as to the “weakness” of the final two considering the pressure Take2 was putting on the team to bring the game to market.)

But it is hard for me to think that of all the games I’ve played for almost 30 years, if not more, that the top ten in my list wouldn’t be worthy of five stars.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2993

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Great review Timo and a fair summary of the game. I almost completely agree (the minor glitches in Pyotr’s story could have been mentioned in the cons perhaps…). The greater impact/feelings a game offers, the bigger the review.

I also have to mention that the game gives me the feeling that it had the prospects of being much bigger! Imagine every single of Jake’s friends having its own story/chapter (Mike, Doc, Mickey, Eddie, etc). It would have been at least twice in length…(or a good script for CCS2. Wink Kickstarter! Kickstarter!!)

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

rtrooney - 22 April 2013 06:28 PM

My only question would be the “Star” rating.

... it is hard for me to think that of all the games I’ve played for almost 30 years, if not more, that the top ten in my list wouldn’t be worthy of five stars.

Well, I’ve only given 6 adventure games the full 5 stars, so they’re numbers 1-6. And there are 14 adventure games that have gotten 4.5 stars (completing a nice top 20 now). Together with The Dig, CCS is in the “nearly 5” bracket, so they’re 7 and 8.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Sefir - 23 April 2013 03:15 AM

(the minor glitches in Pyotr,s story could have been mentioned in the cons perhaps…)

I didn’t experience any minor glitches there. Well, I’ve had the game crash on me twice when trying to enter Casimir’s, but I’m running Vista - I’m used to random crashes and they don’t necessarily originate from the game I was playing… Tongue

Imagine every single of Jake’s friends having its own story/chapter (Mike, Doc, Mickey, Eddie, etc). It would have been at least twice in length…(or a good script for CCS2 Wink Kickstarter! Kickstarter!!)

I would back this! Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Sefir - 19 April 2013 09:04 PM

About the door puzzle solution (If I still recall it correctly): It’s just another word puzzle. My mother said to pick the very best=> mime, other, said, toothpick, the, very, best

Another word puzzle of course, it had to be, my doom… Smile

Great leading this playthrough, Sefir, always on top of it when people had trouble! Thanks

TimovieMan - 22 April 2013 04:34 PM

Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon - 4.5 / 5

Good review, great description of this expecience. I agree with most of the stuff, major disagreement point from my part is that Josie’s chapter was not one of my favourite. That honor would go to Pyotr and Al Phee.

TimovieMan - 23 April 2013 12:31 PM
Sefir - 23 April 2013 03:15 AM

Imagine every single of Jake’s friends having its own story/chapter (Mike, Doc, Mickey, Eddie, etc). It would have been at least twice in length…(or a good script for CCS2 Wink Kickstarter! Kickstarter!!)

I would back this! Thumbs Up

This! Backed!

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

TimovieMan - 23 April 2013 06:59 AM

Well, I’ve only given 6 adventure games the full 5 stars, so they’re numbers 1-6. And there are 14 adventure games that have gotten 4.5 stars (completing a nice top 20 now). Together with The Dig, CCS is in the “nearly 5” bracket, so they’re 7 and 8.

Well, I’m 65 and you’re 32, so I may have played a few more games. Thus, earning 5s in my top ten might be easier than earning them in your’s. I’ve also got a lot more 1s and 2s. Hell, I’ve probably got a lot more 0s. Smile

But I see your point. It may depend on how many flaws you accept and still consider it one of the best games ever. And, of course I’m biased due to my association with Josh.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5601

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I just finished the game 10 minutes ago and am so sorry to see it end.  It was wonderful for all the reasons you mentioned, Timo, and fun to play right to the end.  Thank you, Sefir, for keeping us on the straight and narrow during this playthough.  I enjoyed reading everyone’s reactions to the different episodes as we finished them.  I’m going to give it a bit of time, but this is definitely a game I will replay,

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

rtrooney - 23 April 2013 07:01 PM

But I see your point. It may depend on how many flaws you accept and still consider it one of the best games ever. And, of course I’m biased due to my association with Josh.

It’s just a subjective ratings system I use. Basically, there’s only a very narrow margin between 4.5 and 5, and I rarely criticize things I’ve given 4 or more.

I haven’t played a lot of games that only got a 1, 1.5 or even 2, though. But I tend to look for games that I know I’ll like, and if they’re really so bad as to deserve a low rating like that, I’ll probably not even finish them.
It’s not like with movies that you usually finish them in an hour and a half. Games usually take up at least 10 hours, and I don’t like “wasting” such an amount of time on something I dislike…

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top