• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #52: Beneath a Steel Sky

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

rtrooney - 22 April 2019 09:00 PM

In the case I mentioned, you can roll your cursor over the junkpile and identify where you need to place the circuit board. But not quite. Because dragging the circuit board to the location where the bull’s eye highlights isn’t good enough. It must be positioned slightly to the left and slightly lower than the target in order to activate Joey.

There are actually 3 different hotspots with 3 different descriptions in the junkpile. Yes, all of them are signed “junk” (hence they are located in what seems to be a junkpile), but it’s easy to spot a robot among them, and, as I mentioned, they have different descriptions (Robert says something like “The robot is rusty, but it’ll do”).

But I agree that the game is not much fun, especially when it comes to puzzles. I arrived to the stopping point, but had to use a walkthrough a couple of times when I had no idea what to do and no desire to explore the area and speak to everyone once again. That’s because the gameworld feels so empty and stale, and too many characters are just there to throw a line or two. And those few characters important for the plot development disappear all too soon.

BTW I also followed McCoy97‘s advise and downloaded the enhanced soundtrack, and it’s much better, gives a totally new feel to the game. Thanks! I can also see why BASS is highly regarded by some - with all its faults it’s still one of the better cyberpunk games of its time. Nowhere near as good as System Shock, and I like Dreamweb more (I know this one’s also a love/hate matter), but still a solid attempt.

TimovieMan - 23 April 2019 08:12 AM

And while it’s not something that’s apparent since we’re so used to it now, the concept of having NPC’s that wander around on their own schedule (Lamb especially) was pretty novel for its time, I believe.

RPGs did that years before, especially the Ultima series (Ultima VII in particular had very complex time schedules, with hundreds of people going to bed, waking up, working in the fields, shopping, hunting, talking to each other and doing all sort of routine tasks). Revolution’s “Virtual Theatre” is very limited compared to those.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 5596

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I’m enjoying the game, despite having no history with it previous to this playthrough.  I like the humor and the hodge-podge of characters and their sometimes over-the-top accents, and I’m looking forward to solving the mystery surrounding Robert that is slowly being revealed.  The puzzles are a mixed bag, but aside from my difficulty retrieving the wrench and also realizing there was something I neglected to do at the terminal, I’ve had fun solving them so far.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Also stick with it, and I promise the last part will be worth it. Things will pick up.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I have made it to the next building. But saved and thought I would proceed after a nap. Which may last until tomorrow. I found some parts of this journey quite confusing. I had to revisit Anita, Bill Anchor and Dr. Burke at least twice each. With each of them the conversation seemed to come to an end, i.e. there was only one conversation option left, and it was something like “See you later.”

You visit Anita first as part of the Lamb tour, and she updates your card, but offers nothing else. So you wander and find either the insurance office or the surgery clinic. If it’s the clinic, you cant get past the receptionist. If its the insurance office, Joey won’t cut down the anchor. So, it’s backtracking time.

BTW: it was during this sequence that I ran into Lamb, and he told me he can no longer use his ID card. When I left Anita the first time I tried the updated card on the first stand I came to and managed, obviously, to change Lamb’s status to D-Linc. As a result I got to feed his cat and pick up a VHS tape. Not sure what would have happened had I not run into him, or changed his status. Would this have resulted in me finding myself in need of a VHS tape, thus requiring another backtrack?

Another FWIW, I’ve played many games from this era, if not earlier, before. Most of them in the era when they were originally released. (Why do you think I keep nominating FPFP?) And I found the things I don’t enjoy with this game equally un-enjoyable back in the good old days. Walking/backtracking, whatever you want to call it, was just as unpleasant in LSL2 as it is here.

But I will get through it.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I recall this game quite well when it was released. I got it on the Amiga computer. It was $59.95 in a big beautiful box.

Inside was a comic book of the introduction. Due to the Amigas superior graphics, this game was simply stunning to look at and a joy to play. NO pixel hunting.

If I was to play this game today on an Amiga computer, it would still be a joy to play. The game IS one of the top 100 games ever released, I am having a ball playing it.

The end of this game comes out of left field and is worth getting too. One of the best in its day and still worth experiencing today.

I want to thank Soccerdude for hosting this CPT, the game is amazing and captivating. I especially like reading Tim’s comments on the game.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

TimovieMan - 20 April 2019 03:24 AM
TimovieMan - 14 April 2019 11:13 AM

[spoiler]He might have been right too. As long as we don’t find anything out about this Overmann, there’s still a chance we’re Overmann. Or at least our mom was, which could be why they’re looking for us.[/spoiler]

Nailed it! Tongue

Although that may have been implied early on because I seem to be under the impression that we’re Overmann since the beginning of the game (or rather since Reich was killed).

So I went back to an earlier save to check, and indeed: when we’re about to leave the furnace room, Reich comes in and specifically calls us Overmann.
We then use that name as a lead, but not as our own identity until we get confirmation through those decrypted documents.

Note to Foster: if you don’t know what’s going on, and someone that came looking for you specifically then calls you “Overmann”, chances are pretty good that you really are Overmann, especially if you don’t know your birth name! Tongue

In other words: so much for me making theories about things that were not only implied but outright stated.
I need to be paying more attention… Smile

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

You guys are welcome! I just didn’t like the original midi music.

I have to agree with some of you though, the game is a bit too boring. Nothing interesting has happened so far and I can’t play for too long at a time before starting to doze off lol. I remember the game being much better the last time I played it many years ago. I still think it’s a nice game though and it hits me in the nostalgia but even the worst Broken Sword is so much better. Will still grab the sequel.

I’m slowly catching up. Just finished the factory tour.

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

TimovieMan - 24 April 2019 03:20 AM

Note to Foster: if you don’t know what’s going on, and someone that came looking for you specifically then calls you “Overmann”, chances are pretty good that you really are Overmann, especially if you don’t know your birth name! Tongue

In other words: so much for me making theories about things that were not only implied but outright stated.
I need to be paying more attention… Smile

It’s possible that Foster believed that it was a case of mistaken identity. Though he was called Overmann, it was by the guy who blew up his home and killed everyone in the Gap, so not sure how much he can trust his words.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Nap is over, but I have lots of stuff I need to do before I get back to the game. I think I am about ready to enter a difficult area that I have read about in some of the spoilers.

Not sure whether I should just look at a WT or try it on my own.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I say try it on your own and then if you get stuck, hit a WT.

That’s what I have always done. I hate spending days wandering around aimlessly.

At least WTs are free now, back when this game first came out they were $14.95 and well worth every penny.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

There used to be hint lines back then in the US that charged by the minute. I wasn’t living there back then so never tried them, but I wonder if any of our old timers ever dialed the hint lines for solutions. My understanding is that they were a significant revenue source for AG companies. Really crazy how much everything has evolved in the last 20 years.

One aspect that is hilarious in the game playing it today is how the future they envisioned: still had VCR tapes. It’s the same thing I can imagine of games today depicting the future as using cell phones, when in 20 years we might have chips implanted into our bodies or something crazy like that.

Total Posts: 330

Joined 2017-08-15

PM

SoccerDude - 26 April 2019 09:10 PM

One aspect that is hilarious in the game playing it today is how the future they envisioned: still had VCR tapes.

Hey! Some of us still use those Grin

Member of the NAALCB - (North American Anti- Lobster Cop Brigade) since 2019.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I was able to start the “document reading” puzzle sequence, but had to put the game on temporary pause due some real life issues. So I’m falling even farther behind. Nevertheless, I have every hope of finishing….eventually. Should be able to play a bit more by Tuesday. Frustrating.

I will say that the sequence puzzle I referenced above does not seem to be very intuitive. So when I get back to the game a WT seems like the likely place to go.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Haven’t finished this section yet, but I think I’m very close.

If I’m not mistaken, I’m to stop at reaching the wine cellar, so I think I pretty much only have to swipe the club owner’s glass and get his fingerprints off it.

After the initial “Oh no, Joey!, I’ve now been greeted with an “Oh no, Anita!”, but at least that caused the plot to thicken and the game to start becoming more interesting.

And what’s up with the [spoiler]Clone Army in the Jedi temple cathedral[/spoiler]?

Also, I shudder to think of this, but is it possible that Anita got “punished” by being forced to enter the reactor without a radiation suit because the other guy ratted her out after she’d spent quite a bit of time at work talking with us?
It certainly would fit the dystopian mood of the game…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Update: I’ve reached the stopping point.

Bring on the next part. Cool

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top