• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

SpeedBowalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Dance of Death: Du Lac & Fey

Total Posts: 5813

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

The game has an interesting concept (except I’m not sure about a talking dog) & engaging graphics. It has now been released & at a price in excess of what I normally pay so hope it’s worth it. Is anyone else going to try the game?  Smile

Total Posts: 5035

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Are you kidding me? I talk to my dog all the time, and Beamer responds as best he can. That’s what made me comment on it in the “new games” post on the front page. If you can suspend belief for My Brother the Rabbit, a talking dog should not be much of a stretch.  Smile

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

rtrooney - 06 April 2019 09:14 PM

Are you kidding me? I talk to my dog all the time, and Beamer responds as best he can.

Laughing

Total Posts: 111

Joined 2006-12-29

PM

Haven’t played it myself, but I watched Dodger do a multi-hour stream of it. There were things about it she loved, but the movement was so finicky it was almost a deal-breaker, some background characters looked like cardboard and the stream was ultimately cut off by a savegame-breaking bug.
So mixed at best depending on what you’re willing to put up with. Maybe wait for patches and/or a discount on this one.

The golden age of mathematics - that was not the age of Euclid, it is ours. -Cassius Jackson Keyser

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

chrissie - 07 April 2019 07:47 AM
rtrooney - 06 April 2019 09:14 PM

Are you kidding me? I talk to my dog all the time, and Beamer responds as best he can.

Laughing

I see an update that it released on Steam. I didn’t see a cost, but it would need to be reasonable if that’s the only place where it’s available.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2013-08-29

PM

I’m so sad and angry at the same time. The game is pretty well made, but has a huge flaw that makes me angry in every game that should have been great!

The story is good, graphics look very nice. The voice acting and music I have nothing to complain about. That’s all great. The only thing I would have to complain about should be the walking/traveling mechanics. It is very slow, there is no fast travel and your character follows often the weirdest route to get to the location you clicked. I really wished this was my only complaint though.
What really ruined the game for me is the broken auto save system. You have no option to save the game where you want, so there are only autosaves. Sadly enough the autosave file kept being corrupted for me. So every time I started playing the game I had to start a new game. One time I even got a message saying the file was corrupted and it gave me three options: Start a new game, start from a chosen chapter or end the game. None of which I was able to click. There is also not a menu or option to be found where I could choose a chapter to begin with. On two occasions the save game wasn’t corrupted, some other bugs occurt. In one, all characters weren’t anywhere to be found. Even after a restart and a reboot it didn’t work. The only thing to do….start from the beginning again. The second, I had to look at a few paintings, but the option to look at the paintings didn’t come up. The only thing I was able to do…..you are right….start the game again from the start. It was enough, I can’t play the game again and not wasting my time anymore. It doesn’t happen often, but I’m going to ask for a refund. I really hope the devs can and will fix these problems soon, for now the game is too broken to be played.

Total Posts: 416

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

I ran into several game breaking bugs attempting to go through this. Otherwise the game was still janky in spots but I was getting through it and enjoying the story. Until there’s a patch of some sort I’m not wasting my time with it anymore.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Well, the game is $26.99 on Steam. That’s supposedly a 10% discount. Since I couldn’t find an original price, I guess I’ll just have to take Steam’s word for it.

Certainly not an outrageous price, but truly outrageous for a game that, based to the two mini-reviews above, doesn’t play well.

The only positive review of the game was one I found on culturevultures. There was no mention of any game-breaking bugs. Makes you wonder if the reviewer was playing the same game.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

rtrooney - 09 April 2019 12:47 PM

Well, the game is $26.99 on Steam. That’s supposedly a 10% discount. Since I couldn’t find an original price, I guess I’ll just have to take Steam’s word for it.

No, it wasn’t cheap even with a discount & the exchange rate’s terrible at the mo Cry

rtrooney - 09 April 2019 12:47 PM

Certainly not an outrageous price, but truly outrageous for a game that, based to the two mini-reviews above, doesn’t play well.

The only positive review of the game was one I found on culturevultures. There was no mention of any game-breaking bugs. Makes you wonder if the reviewer was playing the same game.

I haven’t had time to start playing yet but it does look as if there were a few initial problems. But, the good news is that the developers are listening & seem to be on the case releasing updates as required!  Thumbs Up I was never crazy about download sites like Steam but the automatic updating is a positive in my mind.  Smile

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve played for about 15 mins & so far finding the animation quite choppy but guessing that my PC is not up to the specs needed!
Otherwise the graphics are nice & the voice-acting is okay. My biggest bugbear is the lack of option to disable the onscreen objectives which inflict on the player a ‘step-by-step guide’ to playing the game which I find infuriating & condescending!  Angry

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

chrissie - 16 April 2019 09:18 AM

My biggest bugbear is the lack of option to disable the onscreen objectives which inflict on the player a ‘step-by-step guide’ to playing the game which I find infuriating & condescending!  Angry

I do not recall seeing that in the video playthrough link that Harald B recommended.

I really like the idea of the game. But I just can’t bring myself to buy it until the bugs have been worked out. One of the game’s designers was interviewed in the front page article about the gaming show in London. I’ve not had a chance to read it yet.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

rtrooney - 16 April 2019 12:44 PM
chrissie - 16 April 2019 09:18 AM

My biggest bugbear is the lack of option to disable the onscreen objectives which inflict on the player a ‘step-by-step guide’ to playing the game which I find infuriating & condescending!  Angry

I do not recall seeing that in the video playthrough link that Harald B recommended.

The objectives do appear on that video playthrough on the left hand side & are obviously less noticeable & therefore intrusive when observing rather than playing the game.

There is an icon below the portraits which opens up a journal where you can view the objectives if you want to so there’s really no need for the feature to be in your face as well. 

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

You’re not convincing me that this is a great game.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

The AG review isn’t painting a very pretty picture either. That’s too bad. I thought the game had a nice premise, and was looking forward to playing it. Not so much now.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 416

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Yeah, this is a bad game. If you want to get rid of one of the major tent-poles of adventure game design (puzzle solving/problem solving), that’s fine. Other games have successfully done it (even back in the day), but you have to replace it with SOMETHING.

Night In The Woods had various minigames, Westood’s Bladerunner had the detective stuff and multiple branching paths, Oxenfree has the radio mechanic and persistent conversation stuff.

All those games, for the most part, eschewed conventional puzzling. But they still had something to them. Dance of Death almost literally has NOTHING going on at all, game-play wise. You just walk walk back and forth between different locations to trigger the next dialogue tree or cut-scene.

Again, I’m not trying to be close minded here. I’m all for adventure games bucking tradition if that’s what you want to do. But actually do something new, don’t just hollow out a portion of the traditional formula and call it a day.

Total Posts: 7

Joined 2013-08-29

PM

Today I received this Private message:

Hello,

I read your user review on the recent review of Dance of Death: Du Lac & Fey. I work with the team at Salix Games and just wanted to message to say that the save game system has been fixed and the majority of issues raised by the community since launch have also been fixed. We are now on release v1.1 and are releasing our next update v1.2 very soon.

If you haven’t played since launch I would encourage you to do so. In future updates, we plan to address the movement and other things, we are a small team of 4 and are actively listening to the community and trying to make the game the best it can be.

Our CEO Jessica recently posted a message explaining these issues: https://imgur.com/gallery/CGT3dgt

Thanks for reading.
Best,
Dan Sheridan
Salix Community Manager

I can really appreciate the effort of contacting me about the problems I experienced. Also check out the link to a letter they wrote about why the problems were in the game. I will play the game again and probably will change my review where needed. I can overlook the lack of puzzles though. I’m getting used to ‘interactive’ stories and a good story could still be fun to play.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top