• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #52: Beneath a Steel Sky

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Part 4

We are now getting to my favorite part of the game where things shift up a gear.
Next step is to finish the game. For folks who are behind, don’t worry too much because the game is pretty short, and you can catch up easily.

I will leave you with some fun trivia you might not have noticed during your playthrough. The trivia involve some scenes or characters from Broken Sword 1 & 2 so if you haven’t played those games and are very sensitive about spoilers, I recommend avoiding them. I will also use spoiler tags and spoiler warnings where appropriate.

1- If you found that Mrs. Piermont sounds familiar, that is because there was a Lady Piermont in Broken Sword 1. The Lady Piermont in BS 1 is a different character than Mrs. Piermont in BASS, though they share the same name and voice actress. Also, the voice actress who did the voice of Mrs. Piermont is the same actress who did the voice of the one and only Mademoiselle Nico Collard.

Link 1

2- If you look at one of the lockers in the room that you crash in using the anvil/rope combination you notice that the name written on it is Ultar. Ultar is the name of a character from Revolution’s older game (Lure of the Temptress), and it is also the name of the Syrian Taxi Driver from Broken Sword 1. It’s this guy:

Link 2

3- Finally my favorite BASS easter egg in Broken Sword 2:

*WARNING DO NOT WATCH THIS UNTIL YOU FINISH BENEATH A STEEL SKY*

Easter Egg

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

I have finished this lovely game. An amazing experience. The ending video after credits was amazingly strange. I want to thank Soccerdude for running this CPT, one of the best adventure games ever published.

Thanks for the trivia, great stuff to know about.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Just a few screens further, and then I caught myself saying “What the f#%@ is that?” only to reach yet a few screens further and saying “WHAT THE F#%@ IS THAT???”. Tongue

Not sure what the deal with the light bulb was exactly, though…
What, the giant red-eyed (robot?) monster is scared of a little light?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5046

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’ve got a bit of a problem. A few posts ago I said

BTW: it was during this sequence that I ran into Lamb, and he told me he can no longer use his ID card. When I left Anita the first time I tried the updated card on the first stand I came to and managed, obviously, to change Lamb’s status to D-Linc. As a result I got to feed his cat and pick up a VHS tape. Not sure what would have happened had I not run into him, or changed his status. Would this have resulted in me finding myself in need of a VHS tape, thus requiring another backtrack?

So now I entered the “Dream Zone” and wasn’t sure I knew what I was doing, and consulted a video WT just to get my bearings. During the WT: After reading the documents I leave the area, and after having a useless conversations with Sam and Mortimer I leave that room and run into Lamb. And I experience the exact same scenario that I describe above. I.e. I have to feed his cat and get the VHS tape.

This reminds me of the Shivers AGCPT when I fooled around with the drums and accidentally did the correct sequence, and I found myself exploring parts of the museum I wasn’t supposed to explore. Did I screw something up again? Is doing something out of sequence (from the WT sequence) going to hinder my ability to complete the game?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

rtrooney - 29 April 2019 06:38 PM

I’ve got a bit of a problem. A few posts ago I said

BTW: it was during this sequence that I ran into Lamb, and he told me he can no longer use his ID card. When I left Anita the first time I tried the updated card on the first stand I came to and managed, obviously, to change Lamb’s status to D-Linc. As a result I got to feed his cat and pick up a VHS tape. Not sure what would have happened had I not run into him, or changed his status. Would this have resulted in me finding myself in need of a VHS tape, thus requiring another backtrack?

So now I entered the “Dream Zone” and wasn’t sure I knew what I was doing, and consulted a video WT just to get my bearings. During the WT: After reading the documents I leave the area, and after having a useless conversations with Sam and Mortimer I leave that room and run into Lamb. And I experience the exact same scenario that I describe above. I.e. I have to feed his cat and get the VHS tape.

This reminds me of the Shivers AGCPT when I fooled around with the drums and accidentally did the correct sequence, and I found myself exploring parts of the museum I wasn’t supposed to explore. Did I screw something up again? Is doing something out of sequence (from the WT sequence) going to hinder my ability to complete the game?

The game never leaves you in a dead end state. You will always be able to progress further no matter what you do except if your character dies. That is the only scenario where you have to reload a saved game.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I made it out of the dream platform. Not sure exactly how, but I’m not complaining. I did get hung up once I exited the platform. I missed a page on the terminal. The one that allows me to upgrade my card for 48 hours. Once I did that, I was able to use the elevator.

That also allowed me to access the down elevator outside the entrance to Lamb’s room. There I met the guard, the fake gardener, the kid, Danielle and the bouncer to the club. There is a lot of wasted conversation in this sequence. I hope the VHS tape was intended for use in Danielle’s apartment. If not, I’m in trouble. There were some interesting facts about my parents in the discussion with Danielle, but I’m not sure where I will have the opportunity to use that info.

There was nothing of particular interest at the bar. Other than the thumbprint ID plate on the wall. Of course it doesn’t work for me ... yet.

So I’m kind of wandering around looking for something to do. (I’m not even sure where I am in relation to the stopping points. Because I was so far behind, I just kept playing. There was no need to worry about leaping ahead of anyone.)

I admit that I’ve had some rather gruesome thoughts regarding the thumbprint puzzle. There was a series on Amazon titled Sneaky Pete. One episode needed a thumbprint to open a safe. If you saw it, you know what I’m thinking. If I’m wrong, I would appreciate a push in the right direction.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Finished the game. I had no memories of the last part at all, probably played till the end only once on my first playthrough. Still there were no surprises, the plot was pretty obvious and straightforward. The tone became more serious - probably a good idea in a dystopian story. It was nice to see Joey in action again, although his new incarnations were not much fun (the medical robot was too dumb while the android Ken was too polite and, well, human-like. Loved one of the optional dialogues though: -Ken, give him a kiss of life! -I don’t have to use my tongue, sir?). The part also had some abstract puzzles (still not sure what that tissue picking/freezing/throwing into a pit was all about), but at least they followed the story closely, no feeding cats/killing dogs sort of random obstacles.

It was an alright game, not sure about my Top 100 (then again, I’m not sure I can even name 100 great adventure games at all), but worth a try once in a decade. Had many qualities of future greatness brought by Broken Sword: mix of comedy and drama; the general “epic” feel with not-so-epic puzzles that make the experience more engrossing; interactions and responses, especially if you show items to people; detailed animations when Foster pulls/cuts/breaks something down, changes clothes or picks items and puts them in his jacket (and every item usually fits in it); it’s very British, for better or worse.

On a side note, I actually encountered one bug - at the cafe while trying to sneak the glass with fingerprints: after several failed attempts the guy suddenly froze and I took the glass, but then reloaded the game since no reaction followed, and I don’t believe that he was so shocked by my behavior that he suddenly encountered catatonia. I also remember when I encountered the BASS reference in BS2: thought it was some sort of a bug too because of the sudden change in the art style and mood. Of course, I learned about BASS only years later. Pretty sure there were other references to BASS in Broken Sword games, like the picture of Joey on one of the doors at the start of BS5.

PC means personal computer

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I need help! I find myself in somewhat of a dead end.

I’m doing my second pass on the “dream platform.” I don’t what the official name is. I seem to come up with a different one every time I write about it.

Anyway, I entered the chamber. Made my way around the various locations. Saw the Anita Hologram. Picked up the tuning fork. Wasn’t able to do anything with the mechanical guard, so I decided to leave and search some more. But now I can’t seem to get off the platform and back to the “real world.” The exit I used to get in, just south of the tuning fork platform, is no longer there.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

rtrooney - 02 May 2019 07:04 PM

I need help! I find myself in somewhat of a dead end.

I’m doing my second pass on the “dream platform.” I don’t what the official name is. I seem to come up with a different one every time I write about it.

Anyway, I entered the chamber. Made my way around the various locations. Saw the Anita Hologram. Picked up the tuning fork. Wasn’t able to do anything with the mechanical guard, so I decided to leave and search some more. But now I can’t seem to get off the platform and back to the “real world.” The exit I used to get in, just south of the tuning fork platform, is no longer there.

When you are in LINC space, if you look at your inventory, one of the items is “disconnect”. Just right or left click it to disconnect and go back to the real world.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

SoccerDude - 02 May 2019 10:19 PM

When you are in LINC space, if you look at your inventory, one of the items is “disconnect”. Just right or left click it to disconnect and go back to the real world.

Thanks for the hint. For some reason I thought that disconnecting would cause me to lose progress/inventory. Like exiting the game without saving.

I’ve made it into the wine cellar. Don’t know what the value was with the courtroom scene. Maybe it’s a trigger to get the band to take a break. If so, it’s far too long.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 421

Joined 2007-08-13

PM

I have now finished the game and stand by my previous statement about the last part being the most interesting.

Doom - 02 May 2019 08:38 AM

The part also had some abstract puzzles (still not sure what that tissue picking/freezing/throwing into a pit was all about), but at least they followed the story closely, no feeding cats/killing dogs sort of random obstacles.

I think that the reasoning is that you contaminate the tissue with the virus and need to freeze the tissue to keep the it (and thereby the virus) alive before feeding it to Linc.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I said I was not going to let this game join the others in AGCPTs started, but not finished. Mission Accomplished. I put in another hour-plus after I entered the wine cellar and finished it off.

A few minor peeves in the final section.

1. I expected I would need to use the light bulb. Just never expected I would use it in a “socket” wired to the side of a wall. Didn’t even know it was there until after I was killed a few times.

2. Like Doom, I thought the freezing of the meat was a little over the top. But there are only so many things you can do in that room so you are almost forced to solve the puzzle.

3. Resurrecting Ken and getting the final puzzle right was more guesswork than logic. In both instances you are likely to die at least once before completing the game.

I enjoyed the game. I fell behind early due to real life problems, but that might have been a blessing as I no longer felt pressured to meet a specific schedule. It might make it into my top 100, but more towards the bottom than top 10 for sure. That’s OK! If I were to go back and look at the list I’m sure I would find many games in the bottom half that I found more fun to play than many in the top half.

Many thanks to SoccerDude for leading the game.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I have no clue as to who hasn’t completed the game. Or when it might be un-pinned. Or when someone will post that it’s time for a new playthrough.

I do have Final Cut - Death on the Silver Screen loaded. Just in case anyone is interested in a flash playthrough while waiting for things to happen. It’s a long game. Probably twelve hours total. And it requires the CE to finish the game. Just a thought.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5589

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I’m still playing.  Real life put me behind for a while, but I hope to finish it in a couple of days.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’ve fallen behind as well because of real life the World Snooker Championship. That ends today, so I guess I’ll finish the game tomorrow. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top