• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Mystery Game X - Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, 20th Anniversary Edition

Total Posts: 1902

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

tomimt - 08 October 2013 12:51 PM

They can make it or break it with the voice acting. The original has such a great cast (narrator debatable).  I wonder if they’ve managed to secure the original cast to return or if they’ll recast.

And, in the end, this didn’t come as a surprise.

http://www.gabrielknight20th.com/

she says in the interview: theyr recasting completely.
Not sure what to say.

Total Posts: 6595

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Kazmajik - 08 October 2013 01:13 PM

I think it opens up the possibility for a fourth game in the series more than ever before. It’s an exciting time!

This. I don’t agree that any future Sierra-license games rest on the success of this one - Monkey Island remakes were a success, but Tales 2 nor new MI/LucasArts games didn’t happen. Even if it turns out to be a not-so-great remake, it’s better than nothing, and perhaps raises the chances of GK4 from “none” to “slim”. And Jane Jensen said on numerous occasions she hadn’t said her last with GK but couldn’t get grip on the license.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

zane - 08 October 2013 03:50 PM

she says in the interview: theyr recasting completely.
Not sure what to say.

As long as they don’t recast Dean Erickson as Knight I’m OK with that. I’d assume the salaries of the original cast are much higher than in the 90’s and as the original recordings have been lost ages ago, the game audio is too compressed to be used. And the cast has gotten older as well, that reflects from their voices as well.

Total Posts: 182

Joined 2012-01-08

PM

Embarassed
The graphics aren’t my cup of tea at all, unfortunately.
Very inconsistent, almost like directly out of a hidden object game.
Gabriel looks just bland.

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

im just not sure if i want to play it.
Whats the point of re-recording all the audio if it isnt going to be *fantastic*.
Whats the point of remaking the game for some glossy backgrounds.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

zane - 08 October 2013 04:24 PM

im just not sure if i want to play it.
Whats the point of re-recording all the audio if it isnt going to be *fantastic*.
Whats the point of remaking the game for some glossy backgrounds.

Multiplatform release.

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

tomimt - 08 October 2013 04:49 PM

Multiplatform release.

i guess thats a nice thing in the grand scheme of things… it just doesnt mean anything to me.

Total Posts: 298

Joined 2004-08-15

PM

I’m disappointed. Frown
I know all signs pointed towards this, but…meh.

I can’t get excited about a remake. Now, an improved edition, that would be another thing…In LucasArts adventure games you could always tell when your cursor was hovering over a hotspot and if so over which one. That’s a feature I feel the first GK could benefit from. Finding the snake scale was like going through pixelhunting hell, a trip I could have done without. Some clues for the more unforgiving puzzles could also improve the game.

But otherwise? GK1 is one of the best adventure games Sierra ever released, even in hindsight. Bar some tinkering with little things here and there the game is good as it is. Looking at the screenshots of the remake, I feel it will lose the charme of the original.
Also, what a waste of time and money that could go into something original instead.
And all for a distant chance of another installment in the series. I doubt it will happen. Only if it will will I feel that the remake will have been worth it.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

It certainly is ironic that Gabriel Knight 1 is the one game in the series that is by far the least in need of a remake.

Also, you really can’t compare the lack of new Monkey Island stuff with the potential for new Sierra licensed games.  The Monkey Island plans fell through because Lucasarts collapsed as a company.  Activision, as annoying as they are as a corporate entity, is not in any danger.  They’ve got their shit a lot more together, comparably.

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

fov - 08 October 2013 05:42 PM

People who don’t think it needs a remake have the original version at their fingertips. But there’s a big opportunity here to introduce the game to a new/lapsed audience and make a case for making new GK games. This is the first time since Sierra shut down that such a thing has even been on the table. I hope that even people who are “meh” about the idea of a remake are excited by that prospect…?

the problem is: i dont see shiny backgrounds and awkwardly detailed faces being the things that make the game embraced by a new generation. Its already on gog. Half of what made the original so awesome was performances like mark hamil. I speculate that the sort of people who wont play gk because its outdated, arent going to be impressed by the visuals here either.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

tomimt - 08 October 2013 04:49 PM

Multiplatform release.

Then why not take the same approach that The Last Express took recently? Doing a complete overhaul of the first game feels unnecessary.

I mean, I just played GK1 for the very first time a few weeks ago, and it instantly made its way into my all-time top 20. Why change what’s already near-perfect?

Then again, I felt the same way about the Monkey Island Special Editions, and Monkey Island 2 turned out to be an actual improvement over the original (because of the voices, and the great interface mechanics), so who knows?
I just hope they’ll take a similar approach (allowing a switch to the original graphics, for instance, and streamlining the 8-icon cursor into a 4-icon one for instance)...

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 990

Joined 2009-05-08

PM

Improving on the soundtrack greatly interests me though. Live orchestration would be swell.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

So this game will be available to anyone that pledged more than $50 at the kickstarter, right?

Can’t really complain with it but I agree with the general opinion that this game doesn’t really need a remake… But if it brings back some interest in the series it’ll be cool, and maybe if it’s slightly successful Activision will remember it has a vast adventure legacy in the closet… But I doubt that…

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Gee, who saw this coming?

Anyway, I think it looks good. The background art is very high quality, compared to, say, the Monkey Island remakes. The characters are whatever, but they’re fine. The prospect of re-recording the voices seems silly to me, but maybe they’ll actually be re-writing the script as well.

I’m also surprised and pleased that Pinkerton and Phoenix are handling this and that Jane will be intimately involved with the project, as I was under the impression that it was more the sort of thing that was being done without her being hands-on.

Obviously this sort of remake is Activision’s way of testing the water. A sequel is the sort of thing that would demand more production value than a retro-remake and they want to see if the audience is still there.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Frogacuda - 08 October 2013 10:00 PM

Gee, who saw this coming?

That would be me.  Wink

I love the backgrounds, too.  Definitely not a fan of the images of Gabriel I’ve seen so far.  The facial proportions look just awkward enough to bother me, like they were drawn by someone who just doesn’t quite have the chops to correctly render human anatomy.  It’s a bit of a disappointment, definitely, but overall I find myself optimistic about the project.  If any group is going to give it the kind of TLC that hardcore fans demand, it’s going to be POS, since they all ARE hardcore fans.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top