• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Egon

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

1999 Adventure Game of the Year

Poll: 1999 Adventure Game of the Year is?
Total Votes: 58
Amerzone
Atlantis 2: Beyond Atlantis
Déjà Vu: A Nightmare Comes True
Discworld Noir
Faust: Seven Games of the Soul
Gabriel Knight 3: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned
Reah
Rent-A-Hero
Ring 1: The Legend of the Nibelungen
Traitors Gate
Zero Critical
Your unlisted favorite

Total Posts: 5844

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Gabe - 12 January 2016 02:48 PM

IT’s made me remember that Discworld Noir always crashes on xp or newer win versions,a gog rerelease not avalaible yet so anyone manage to play it somehow recently?

My version is for PS - I haven’t played it recently but I know I can! One of the reasons I held a torch for consols for many years is that you just load the disc & the game plays but sadly AGs weren’t & aren’t a priority of consol game developers so I’ve given up now & just either install a disc version (if possible) or download games on my PC & battle!!!!  Laughing

Total Posts: 6595

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

TimovieMan - 12 January 2016 09:25 AM

Do you realize that I contemplated putting “and whoever links to that ‘AGs committed suicide’ article gets banned” in my previous post? Tongue

Grin Ain’t it funny how that site is still online, even though the blog was last updated in 2002. It will ALWAYS be online to remind us of the suicide!

Phlebas - 12 January 2016 10:46 AM

Even the infamous cat hair moustache puzzle isn’t nearly as bad as it’s generally made out to be

By whom? Old Man Murray and?

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1085

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Frankly when you consider amount of study and script work of GK3 then see listed with others quite mystifying.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I voted for Discworld Noir because it’s my favourite game. Simple.
Gabriel Knight 3 is awesome and a 5/5 game but still loses to Discworld Noir. If TLJ had been listed to this year, it would also lose despite of being another 5/5 game.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I played very few from this list so I voted for Discworld Noir.
Have not played GK3 and I’m sure it’s a brilliant game but it’s a good example of those early 3D games that haven’t aged well at all

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

IT’s made me remember that Discworld Noir always crashes on xp or newer win versions,a gog rerelease not avalaible yet so anyone manage to play it somehow recently?

I have been so looking forward to playing Discworld Noir but all the releases don’t come without its crashes.

Gog.com is my only hope.

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Origami - 12 January 2016 04:41 PM

I have been so looking forward to playing Discworld Noir but all the releases don’t come without its crashes.

Gog.com is my only hope.

Vote for it , doesn’t hurt

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

Phlebas - 12 January 2016 10:46 AM

Call it Old Man Murray’s Fallacy: the idea that it’s obvious how good a puzzle was if you look at the solution. Even the infamous cat hair moustache puzzle isn’t nearly as bad as it’s generally made out to be, if you actually play the game:
I have someone else’s ID which Gabe wants to pretend is his.
I have a marker pen. Maybe I can modify the ID to look more like it belongs to Gabe?
(use pen on ID)
Gabe’s drawn a moustache on the picture. WHAT ARE YOU DOING GABE?
Ohh, that actually makes sense. Adding a prominent feature like that could stop someone noticing that the rest of the face doesn’t look too similar.
Right, I’ll need a fake moustache. I wonder where I can get one of those.

Obviously what ensues is silliness, but the sequence of thought and play leading up to it makes sense - someone actually playing the game might reasonably get that far; someone just reading the walkthrough is more likely to go away and write an article whining about making a fake moustache so as to impersonate someone who hasn’t got a moustache.

I agree with you. The cat hair puzzle wasn’t really difficult or illogical, especially since the game clues you in about what it’s looking for. It’s only hard if an individual never even considers the solution because it isn’t something that individual would do in real life. Maybe it is “irony” that fooling someone with poor eyesight by using a fake moustache is more realistic than the existence of vampires or werewolves or any of the other supernatural stuff Gabriel Knight deals with, yet I never see anyone complaining about that.

Total Posts: 5054

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

The problem is that

I have no mustache.
The person I am trying to impersonate has no mustache.
So I copy a fake mustache onto his ID.
And then I must create a fake mustache to match the altered ID.

That sequence makes absolutely no sense whatsover. Unless you go through some seriously convoluted thinking, i.e.

I can’t impersonate this person as I look now. So the only hope is to alter his appearance, and find a way to impersonate that.

That takes a real story teller to make that seem plausible.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1898

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

maybe already brought up.. but.. i dont understand deja vu being included in this year?

Total Posts: 7453

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

zane - 12 January 2016 11:10 PM

maybe already brought up.. but.. i dont understand deja vu being included in this year?

Yep, nomad and you are right. It’s a remake, update of the old game, new platform, blabla. So how did it end up in the poll? I do check the year of release at Mobygames or in Wikipedia, even though some people assume I don’t, and it should have been crossed off my list. So Alzheimer Lite is the best explanation. 

Sometimes, when I clean the rooms, I get a little curious and… erm… you know… snoop through our guests’s stuff. - This Bed We Made

Total Posts: 1898

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Hm interesting. Well anyway i like deja vu, it was the first adventure game i played on a console. It has nice depth all things considered. From this list though i have to go with discworld noir.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

rtrooney - 12 January 2016 08:57 PM

The problem is that

I have no mustache.
The person I am trying to impersonate has no mustache.
So I copy a fake mustache onto his ID.
And then I must create a fake mustache to match the altered ID.

That sequence makes absolutely no sense whatsover. Unless you go through some seriously convoluted thinking, i.e.

I can’t impersonate this person as I look now. So the only hope is to alter his appearance, and find a way to impersonate that.

That takes a real story teller to make that seem plausible.

It makes sense to me.
I wouldn’t be surprised if the fake moustache trick wasn’t used in real life by underage individuals trying to get into a bar (though probably using a store-bought fake moustache and the appropriate glue rather than something made from cat hair and syrup). I could see Gabriel himself doing something like that to get into a bar when he was a teen, which would explain why it’s the first thing he thought of.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

wilco - 12 January 2016 04:06 PM

Have not played GK3

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Karlok - 13 January 2016 06:08 AM
zane - 12 January 2016 11:10 PM

Yep, nomad and you are right

Nomad?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top