• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

1999 Adventure Game of the Year

Poll: 1999 Adventure Game of the Year is?
Total Votes: 58
Amerzone
Atlantis 2: Beyond Atlantis
Déjà Vu: A Nightmare Comes True
Discworld Noir
Faust: Seven Games of the Soul
Gabriel Knight 3: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned
Reah
Rent-A-Hero
Ring 1: The Legend of the Nibelungen
Traitors Gate
Zero Critical
Your unlisted favorite

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

diego - 12 January 2016 08:20 AM

Karlok, put TLJ wherever you want, it will wipe out the competition. Discworld Noir, GK3 or MI4. Tomorrow - TLJ 30 votes, MI4 5.

But at least here Discworld Noir and GK3 would be able to put up a fight.
Now MI4 (which otherwise would have a shot) is doomed.

But it doesn’t matter all that much. Heck, I only played TLJ when Dreamfall released in 2006. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 7461

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

TimovieMan - 12 January 2016 08:51 AM
diego - 12 January 2016 08:20 AM

Karlok, put TLJ wherever you want, it will wipe out the competition. Discworld Noir, GK3 or MI4. Tomorrow - TLJ 30 votes, MI4 5.

But at least here Discworld Noir and GK3 would be able to put up a fight.
Now MI4 (which otherwise would have a shot) is doomed.

Fine with me. You change the poll, I can’t do it. Lovely surprise for the people who already voted, but what the heck… you can’t have everything.

Sometimes, when I clean the rooms, I get a little curious and… erm… you know… snoop through our guests’s stuff. - This Bed We Made

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Gk3 had most educational story and puzzles in any game.
Seriously intellectual stuff.

TimovieMan - 12 January 2016 07:02 AM

Still haven’t played GK3, though.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Karlok - 12 January 2016 08:57 AM

Fine with me. You change the poll, I can’t do it. Lovely surprise for the people who already voted, but what the heck… you can’t have everything.

No need to change it. You explained why you’re putting TLJ in 2000, so TLJ will be in the 2000 poll.

Besides, with TLJ in 2000, we get to see the full battle between DW:N and GK3. One we otherwise wouldn’t have as they’d be competing for silver with far less votes on their name.

It’s actually a pity that strong releases like TLJ, DW:N and GK3 couldn’t prevent the so-called “death of AG” back then… Frown

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 6597

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

TimovieMan - 12 January 2016 09:17 AM

It’s actually a pity that strong releases like TLJ, DW:N and GK3 couldn’t prevent the so-called “death of AG” back then… Frown

What are you going on about? GK3’s own cat-moustache killed it! (NOT!) Crazy

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

diego - 12 January 2016 09:21 AM

Do you realize that I contemplated putting “and whoever links to that ‘AGs committed suicide’ article gets banned” in my previous post? Tongue

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

TimovieMan - 12 January 2016 09:25 AM
diego - 12 January 2016 09:21 AM

Do you realize that I contemplated putting “and whoever links to that ‘AGs committed suicide’ article gets banned” in my previous post? Tongue

Well, adventure games did commit suicide by not eliminating awful, nonsensical puzzles, and it deserves to be pointed out again and again lest designers forget about it.

Now, lampooning GK3 for it, which generally tried to move away from that kind of design and to bring fresh gameplay ideas to the table, is probably unfair, but I won’t lose sleep over it.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Kurufinwe - 12 January 2016 10:01 AM

Now, lampooning GK3 for it, which generally tried to move away from that kind of design and to bring fresh gameplay ideas to the table, is probably unfair, but I won’t lose sleep over it.

Especially since the focus lies completely with the cat hair moustache puzzle, while there’s absolutely no mention of Le Serpent Rouge. Shifty Eyed

Total Posts: 1167

Joined 2013-02-12

PM

Much more at fault was the rise of the online walkthrough, which greatly reduced the time and effort people were prepared to spend in experimenting, looking for clues and so on to try and solve a puzzle rather than looking up the answer and deciding the puzzle was unfair.

Call it Old Man Murray’s Fallacy: the idea that it’s obvious how good a puzzle was if you look at the solution. Even the infamous cat hair moustache puzzle isn’t nearly as bad as it’s generally made out to be, if you actually play the game:
I have someone else’s ID which Gabe wants to pretend is his.
I have a marker pen. Maybe I can modify the ID to look more like it belongs to Gabe?
(use pen on ID)
Gabe’s drawn a moustache on the picture. WHAT ARE YOU DOING GABE?
Ohh, that actually makes sense. Adding a prominent feature like that could stop someone noticing that the rest of the face doesn’t look too similar.
Right, I’ll need a fake moustache. I wonder where I can get one of those.

Obviously what ensues is silliness, but the sequence of thought and play leading up to it makes sense - someone actually playing the game might reasonably get that far; someone just reading the walkthrough is more likely to go away and write an article whining about making a fake moustache so as to impersonate someone who hasn’t got a moustache.

(Rant over. As you were.)

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2016-01-12

PM

Nancy Drew: Stay Tuned for Danger. Unlisted Favorite Smile

Total Posts: 299

Joined 2006-12-04

PM

Have to go with the game I have fond memories of and one I think I will replay now since there is nothing else to play.

Amerzone: The Explores Legacy

In second place…
Cydonia/Lightbringer
The Crystal Key

Honorable mention…
Last Half of Darkness: Shadows of the Servant
Physicus: Save the World with Science
Ring: Legend of the Nibelungen
Reah: Face the Unknown

Don’t Hate Me Because I Am Beautiful…There Are Many Other Reasons

Total Posts: 5844

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I was torn between Discworld Noir & GK3 but decided on GK3, despite hating the interface & the ending sequence, because the story was to me a little more intricate & compelling.  Smile

Total Posts: 2582

Joined 2005-08-12

PM

Phlebas - 12 January 2016 10:46 AM

Much more at fault was the rise of the online walkthrough, which greatly reduced the time and effort people were prepared to spend in experimenting, looking for clues and so on to try and solve a puzzle rather than looking up the answer and deciding the puzzle was unfair.

Call it Old Man Murray’s Fallacy: the idea that it’s obvious how good a puzzle was if you look at the solution. Even the infamous cat hair moustache puzzle isn’t nearly as bad as it’s generally made out to be, if you actually play the game:
I have someone else’s ID which Gabe wants to pretend is his.
I have a marker pen. Maybe I can modify the ID to look more like it belongs to Gabe?
(use pen on ID)
Gabe’s drawn a moustache on the picture. WHAT ARE YOU DOING GABE?
Ohh, that actually makes sense. Adding a prominent feature like that could stop someone noticing that the rest of the face doesn’t look too similar.
Right, I’ll need a fake moustache. I wonder where I can get one of those.

How can you not see that that’s exactly what’s awful about this puzzle, and all those of this type? You’re not trying to figure out how to deal with the problem at hand*, you’re trying to react to the completely arbitrary elements that the game throws at you. It’s not “How can I impersonate one of the guests?”, it’s “I’ve got Mosely’s ID, and if I try everything on it, the game draws a moustache, so I guess I need to make a moustache.” The logic is completely backwards! That’s lazy puzzle design and it needed to die.

* By the way, let’s not forget how artificial the entire situation even is. A baby has been kidnapped, but we’re going to put that on hold until Mr Knight can get the bike of his dreams. The only way the game could say “We don’t take the story seriously, and neither should you” is if it actually printed that in big red letters on the screen.

Total Posts: 5054

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Despite its many flaws, GK3 gets the vote.

But, again, there were some great games vying for second place.

Amerzone - the stylistic precursor to Syberia
Discworld Noir
Atlantis 2 - Always an AGCPT contender
REAH - Great game. Worst final three puzzles ever
Traitor’s Gate - To me, the best real-time game ever

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1085

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

IT’s made me remember that Discworld Noir always crashes on xp or newer win versions,a gog rerelease not avalaible yet so anyone manage to play it somehow recently?

Déjà Vu: A Nightmare Comes True

Where is 1999 release,it’s dated back 1985?
deja-vu-a-nightmare-comes-true

Zero Critical

Check out Adventure Gamers critic, seriously..
zero-critical

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top