• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

A laid-back chat on a least important adventure game element - the graphics

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Iznogood - 09 September 2014 12:35 PM

If Sierra is a success then they might be interested in cooperating with JJ even if the GK1 remake is not a huge success

I’d be willing to bet money that this is already set to happen.

Tad - 09 September 2014 12:52 PM

Imagine Pinkerton Road working with Daedelic’s team. Smile

Unfortunately, this never would have happened on these last two projects because Daedelic actually expects to be appropriately compensated for their work.  Those greedy fucks.

Total Posts: 84

Joined 2014-07-12

PM

I have to agree about Gray Matter, that game looks really good, and I don´t understand why it got a lot of critics about its look. I am replaying it at the moment and the game is excellent and very underrated here. When talking about graphics in adventure games I have to mention The Book of Unwritten Tales, the first game looks amazing, and I have just watched some gameplay from the second game on youtube and it looks incredible gorgeous, just a joy to look at.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Tad - 09 September 2014 09:51 AM

How come there’s no love for Daedelic? Telltale I understand as they’ve moved away from traditional adventure games, but Daedelic?

I should clarify, I can’t say I’ll definitely buy the next Daedelic game, but I will if I like the look of it.

There was a time when I bought everything a company put out - Lucasarts of the mid-90s, Legend, Cyan, Darkling Room. I feel those companies never put out anything they felt wasn’t their absolute best. I don’t feel Daedelic fits within that mould, although some people will.

I think everyone loves at least one Daedelic title. I loved E&H and Night of the Rabbit - I didn’t like A New Beginning or Alcatraz. Others will say the opposite. With Deponia 1+2+3, I felt like I was playing the same 8-hour game stretched out to 30 hours with filler. During the doldrums of the 2000-2010s that was okay because it was ‘better than nothing’, but now we have so many great adventure games and you have to be selective, and being less than enthralled simply won’t be enough anymore for some people.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

El Manny - 09 September 2014 02:31 PM

I have to agree about Gray Matter, that game looks really good, and I don´t understand why it got a lot of critics about its look. I am replaying it at the moment and the game is excellent and very underrated here.

Which proves that it has aged well too. Wink

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

re: Pinkerton Road
On her latest update Jensen said, that she’s been talking with Activision after Sierra was relaunched, so maybe I was a bit too gloomy of her fututre. Between the lines though it was easy to read that being full indie wasn’t as great experience as she expected it to be, as she’d be more than happy to let someone else to worry about the budgets.

Total Posts: 232

Joined 2010-08-21

PM

TimovieMan - 09 September 2014 11:45 AM

Actually it lacks personality period.

I know. It does. I hope they’ll somehow find the time to solve that before release. What really scares me with his personality though is his new voice. It’s going to be a hell of a hard task for the remake to live up to the original cast. It was excellent across the board.

El Manny - 09 September 2014 02:31 PM

I have to agree about Gray Matter, that game looks really good, and I don´t understand why it got a lot of critics about its look

Wasn’t a lot of the flak due to the static cutscenes? I remember thinking they sucked monkeyballs, though I thought the rest of the game was gorgeous. I can totally see why they chose to go static though. Budget. The scary, scary word budget.

I was never a fan of the static cutscenes of GK1 either but back then they got away with it. Besides the illustrations in those things were gorgeous.

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

I thought the GM cut scenes were terrific in terms of atmosphere and style. Budget may have been the reason they went that way, and they may not have been technically perfect, but they felt entirely suitable for the mood of the game and did an excellent job of pulling me into the story.. I rather adored them, actually.

Each their own, eh?

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

I think the main problem with Gray Matter graphics were the 3D character models and awkward animations. The backgrounds looked mostly gorgeous.

Total Posts: 232

Joined 2010-08-21

PM

A.A - 10 September 2014 03:56 AM

Each their own, eh?

Definitely! And that’s not a bad thing!

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I’m not a huge fan of the cut scene art of GM either. There’s other titles that have pulled similar style better though. The main character models look very nice, but some of the other characters are not quite the same quality. Samantha is propably the best model in the game, but the dialogue portraits are somewhat lacking on all of the characters.

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Oscar - 09 September 2014 09:26 PM
Tad - 09 September 2014 09:51 AM

How come there’s no love for Daedelic? Telltale I understand as they’ve moved away from traditional adventure games, but Daedelic?

I should clarify, I can’t say I’ll definitely buy the next Daedelic game, but I will if I like the look of it.

There was a time when I bought everything a company put out - Lucasarts of the mid-90s, Legend, Cyan, Darkling Room. I feel those companies never put out anything they felt wasn’t their absolute best. I don’t feel Daedelic fits within that mould, although some people will.

I think everyone loves at least one Daedelic title. I loved E&H and Night of the Rabbit - I didn’t like A New Beginning or Alcatraz. Others will say the opposite. With Deponia 1+2+3, I felt like I was playing the same 8-hour game stretched out to 30 hours with filler. During the doldrums of the 2000-2010s that was okay because it was ‘better than nothing’, but now we have so many great adventure games and you have to be selective, and being less than enthralled simply won’t be enough anymore for some people.

I see what you mean. I wasn’t a fan of Deponia either, but there has been other games I’ve liked. Smile

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top