• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

FlorusgrizzlypantsSefir

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

A laid-back chat on a least important adventure game element - the graphics

Total Posts: 232

Joined 2010-08-21

PM

I totally agree regarding GK1, I prefer the original art to the new art too. The originals had a hand-made touch to them that’s simply lacking in the bloomy 3d renders of the remake. But again, I’m under the influence of nostalgia here. I’m hoping however that the remake will be able to smooth out some of the issues I mentioned in my previous post. But who knows!

I agree that Moebious isn’t without faults. At times it’s hands down super bonkers full of awkward animation. But you’re comparing it to GK3. Undoubtedly one of the ugliest games in the entire Sierra catalog.

If you look at GK3 and find it visually beautiful, again I would like to remind you of your nostalgia glasses.

Moebious does what it can’t really afford. It goes for realism. I totally agree with you that this isn’t really something that’s working for today’s lower-budget productions.

edit: On a side note: It is also quite likely that we simply don’t appreciate the same things in art. We’re two different persons, we’re not supposed to love the exact same stuff. Smile Peace.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

I dunno why GM gets hate but it was awesome in theme and the art direction,
the lighting, textures look on characters and stylized composition.

I can enjoy game with this quality for next 5 years, but with new GK,
the quality has gone down like anything.

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I like the aesthetic of Gray Matter as well. It definetly has something that GK remake lacks: grit. The places of GM have a lived in feeling about them and that is missing from the GK remake. It looks like they decided to make everything look like new and shiny just to underline that it is a remake, where as the original GK has this lived in feeling on it.

RPS article about the first impressions of GK says it well: the remake lacks atmoshphere, despite the background art isn’t bad as such.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/08/26/gabriel-knight-20th-anniversary/

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

tomimt - 08 September 2014 07:20 PM

RPS article about the first impressions of GK says it well: the remake lacks atmoshphere, despite the background art isn’t bad as such.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/08/26/gabriel-knight-20th-anniversary/

Damn that postmortem, they have butchered the remake before release.

One of the comment explains the situation best

It makes you appreciate the true skill that went into the originals.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I really thought Gray Matter was very beautiful and atmospheric too, the only critique I could understand was the talking 3D-heads, those could have been better.

I think the new GK1 character models look kinda pouty lipped and clean but overall the graphics don’t look too bad. I’m just hoping enough success to get the next Pinkerton Road game going.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

I’m afraid that Jensen’s Onkerton Road will be a bust in the end. Had Moebius been a well received game, she would have had a good change of having a new reneissance, but after it went down the way it did, I don’t see a real future for hew own studio. Not uneless a miracle happens and GK remake is a smash hit.

I think both, GK remake and Moebius, are good pointers that a good art direction is important. The art itself doesn’t have to be in high resolution, but it has to be appealing. I think Moebius could have been appealing, but the art, backgrounds and the characters, lacked the final push, that would have turned them from borderline boring and grotesque into something that has a genuine appeal.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

I think Pinkerton Road will be okay. I liked Moebius and I will buy Jane’s next adventure. Which I can’t say the same for Daedelic, Telltale or Frogwares.

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

How come there’s no love for Daedelic? Telltale I understand as they’ve moved away from traditional adventure games, but Daedelic?

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Personally I think King Art and Frogwares are the two more interesting companies at the moment when it comes to adventure games. I don’t know if it’s the wonky localisation work that Deadalic does, but despite their games are techincally well done, I find myself being disappointed in their games.

And what comes to Jane and Pinkerton Road, I do think she’s in a quite a hole at the moment. The gaming communities don’t seem to be very favourable towards her, as Moebius did seem to leave a bit of a bad taste on other peoples mouths as well, not just mine. The future of her current enterprise is pretty much on the shoulders of GK remake and if that tanks, that’ll be it for Pinkerton Road.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I’ve really enjoyed the few Daedalic titles I’ve played and I think they’ve been very nice graphically too. Edna & Harvey had its own style that fit the game very well and the Dark Eye games were beautiful. Nothing bad to say about the screenshots from TWW and the likes either. I understand that someone might think Daedalic are praised too much, but honestly there shouldn’t be a lot of bad things to say about it.

And I also feel Pinkerton Road might be in trouble. I enjoyed Moebius but I’ve seen the reception it got and I also admit that it wasn’t the perfect adventure that pretty much was needed. I really hope we will still see GM2 and Anglophilic Adventure, and of course GK4. And even Moebius 2. I just really love Jensen’s stories and Moebius still is a 4 star game for me, even with the kinks. Considering how good the original GK1 was, I do have hopes for the remake. Even if the old fans don’t like the new character models or voice acting, the important thing is if the package works, and I definitely think it can work. The game doesn’t look or sound bad, even though it’s lacking some of the charm of the original.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

theo - 08 September 2014 12:38 PM

I totally agree regarding GK1, I prefer the original art to the new art too. The originals had a hand-made touch to them that’s simply lacking in the bloomy 3d renders of the remake. But again, I’m under the influence of nostalgia here. I’m hoping however that the remake will be able to smooth out some of the issues I mentioned in my previous post. But who knows!

I’m not under the influence of nostalgia as I only played GK1 for the first time last year, and I still agree wholly!
The new Gabriel model lacks the personality of the original. Actually it lacks personality period.
I’m perfectly fine with the new backgrounds (as long as they won’t turn out to be static), and I fully agree that the objects with different resolutions stood out in the old game (so that’ll definitely be improved upon). But that new character model for Gabriel is just generic, where Gabriel Knight is supposed to be anything but…

Oscar - 09 September 2014 04:43 AM

I think Pinkerton Road will be okay. I liked Moebius and I will buy Jane’s next adventure. Which I can’t say the same for Daedelic, Telltale or Frogwares.

Which only stresses theo’s statement that different people appreciate different things in art…

Will there be enough fans of Moebius and this GK remake to ensure that Pinkerton Road will be okay? I hope so, but I’m not too confident…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Em…not to poke fun, but I don’t think it was wise to work with Phoenix Studios. It hasn’t left a great impression of quality for Pinkerton Road.

As for Daedelic, yeah. I can see the issue there. Their games always look good, but I’m not fan of some of the puzzles they put in them. With The Whispered World 2 though, it looks like they might be changing things up. Fingers crossed eh.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Tad - 09 September 2014 09:51 AM

How come there’s no love for Daedelic? Telltale I understand as they’ve moved away from traditional adventure games, but Daedelic?

There is plenty of love for Daedelic at least from me. They have not only made some visually beautiful games, but has in the recent years been the most reliable developer of high quality games, some better than others of course.

Regarding Pinkerton Road and Jane Jensen, then I think her faith might not only depend on the GK remake but also on how successful the new Sierra brand will be. If Sierra is a success then they might be interested in cooperating with JJ even if the GK1 remake is not a huge success, and I doubt it will be a complete bust.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Good man! Smile

Imagine Pinkerton Road working with Daedelic’s team. Smile

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

I love the Daedelic games!  Graphics might not be important, and I am sure I will love the new GK1 game, but, I still will always love the original GK1. A perfect example of graphics is that I loved the first 2 Simon games (enjoyed the 3rd) but hated the last 2, even if they had better graphics.  So, graphics can be important, but, the story is way more important.  Everyone has different tastes, but, for me the washed of look of the Syberia games was dismal.  Some people say those games are beautiful, but, each time I play them I think ... why couldn’t they brighten up the colors a little bit?  oh well, to each their own.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top