• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

kanaifuNelza

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

A laid-back chat on a least important adventure game element - the graphics

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2014-04-11

PM

I agree that the new Broken Sword game has beautiful graphics. I think the developer recognized that they needed to get creative and find a way to make the 3D character animation not look like 3D (I’m no animation expert and don’t really understand the process they used here). While it doesn’t look as beautiful as the hand-drawn animation of earlier games in the series, it is pretty darn nice. Also, the hand-drawn backgrounds in the new game are stunning. Therefore, I put the game’s graphics in the “win” column.

As for poor Gabriel Knight and his rather unfortunate makeover, it seems like there was little effort made to give his new appearance any character.  It’s appalling, really.

And that’s a shame, especially when you consider the wonderful art from the original 1994 game. The original Sierra Gabriel Knight character 20 years ago was apparently somewhat modeled, looks and style wise, after James Dean. The apparent Dean-inspired style choices helped create the nonchalant, “bad boy” (but still sexy and loveable to women especially) persona of the character.

Fast forward 20 years. The new developer (Phoenix Online Studios, I believe) of this Gabriel Knight remake seems to have thought that all a Gabriel Knight character needed in the looks department was the right color hair, hair length and shirt color. This new and NOT improved Gabriel Knight looks so generic. He looks like what happens when certain famous actors get a lot of plastic surgery and shoddily administered Botox (arched eyebrows on men - it creates a perhaps unintended, feminine look) and lose their signature looks in a quest to stay looking young and to correct perceived imperfections. But certain “imperfections” could also be seen as “rough edges” and distinguishing characteristics. Well, Phoenix Online Studios has apparently robbed Gabriel Knight of those “rough edges” looks-wise in their demake of him. Who is this new doll-like person with the blank stare, looking like he just got his hair did with highlights and relaxers, wearing a wrinkle-less shirt? He looks nothing like the original, disheveled Gabriel Knight, whose looks alone oozed personality.

So, in the case of the lower art quality in this Gabriel Knight remake, I would fault the artistic choices and the shallow, careless graphical representation of the main character, rather than blaming budget or technical limitations.

nomadsoul - 07 September 2014 10:20 PM

Its 2014, and its graphics debate, Gabriel looks fine as a real actor in GK2 for its time.

Exactly right.

Total Posts: 232

Joined 2010-08-21

PM

Zifnab - 07 September 2014 07:45 PM

Huh? I was under the impression it costs nothing: Acquire AGS or adventure maker for free, and proceed to make the graphics. Where is the cost coming from?

Dan_Dan_91_07 explained it pretty good. It comes from the fact that producing hand drawn animation is crazy time consuming, and thus, expensive. Working with what people here call 2.5D art (pre-rendered assets, that is) is just insanely more cost efficient. I totally agree that BS1 and COMI etc greatly benefited from their hand drawn style, but I guess they had budgets that could handle that. BS5 didn’t.

I don’t think a game’s budget should be a part of how you rate a game in any aspect, however. If it looks good, it does and if it doesn’t look good, it doesn’t. Using 2.5D art in BS5 was the only logical decision. Had they gone for traditional hand animated 2d sprites, that would have blown the entire budget on animation and had none left for building the actual game. I think they did an excellent job with what little resources they had. (Though I still cringe at the static backdrops!)

I’m totally with nomadsoul and you other folks here that the key is for the games to have their own distinct style that’s designed to fit the team and budget. KZ0 is indeed a good example of this. Going for realism in this age is very, very expensive, and simply no longer a strategic choice for a non AAA game.

Diego, I hate to break it to you but you’re looking at this trough insanely rose-tinted nostalgia glasses. None of those pictures look a whole lot better or a whole lot worse than the other, new or old.

I do agree that some of your select “realism” franchises suffer from not really following the times however, but for the genre as a whole I couldn’t agree less. Look at what Daedalic, King Art, frogwares etc. etc. are doing. It’s looking better by the day.

There is hope!

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

OrionO - 08 September 2014 02:00 AM

The new developer (Jane Jensen) of this Gabriel Knight remake

Fixed that for you.

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Lambonius - 08 September 2014 02:40 AM

The new developer (Co-Developed by Phoenix online and Jane Jensen) of this Gabriel Knight remake

Fixed that for you.

Already trying to deny any involvement in a game- not a good sign.

http://www.postudios.com/blog/?p=3397

We are extremely happy to announce that we are working together with Jane Jensen’s studio Pinkerton Road to develop a re-imagining of the groundbreaking game that was Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Father.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Joined 2010-08-21

PM

So, in the case of the lower art quality in this Gabriel Knight remake, I would fault the artistic choices and the shallow, careless graphical representation of the main character, rather than blaming budget or technical limitations.

First off I will admit that I too dislike the “new gabriel” but please remember that both you and I are looking at the whole thing, again, with nostalgia glasses firmly glued to our eyes. I love GK1. So do you, clearly. We will find faults in everything that doesn’t match up with how we remember the game.

GK1 was an awesome game but certainly not without its visual flaws. Non scaling characters made the backdrops all warped. Mixed resolution on various assets stuck out like a sore thumb. Etc. Updating the visuals makes good sense.

The updated version will likely be a better game in every single aspect than the original. It will work better with a new audience than the original. Does this mean that people like you and me are going to like it? No, not necessarily.

We bonded with a pile of pixels and now they have been replaced with another pile of pixels. And we don’t recognize the gabriel we bonded with. That doesn’t mean that a new generation of gamers won’t be able to appreciate the new look.

Let’s hope they somehow manage to strike a balance so that old and new fans alike will find the visuals appealing. It’s no small task they’re up against.

(I personally think the MI1 remake failed miserably, but again, nostalgia. The MI2 remake was way better for some reason, though still somewhat lacking, in my opinion. It lost some of the crispness, some of the edge.)

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Lucien21 - 08 September 2014 02:55 AM

Already trying to deny any involvement in a game- not a good sign.

http://www.postudios.com/blog/?p=3397

We are extremely happy to announce that we are working together with Jane Jensen’s studio Pinkerton Road to develop a re-imagining of the groundbreaking game that was Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Father.

I’m not denying anything.  Everyone knows Pheonix Online is working with Jane on it.  But Jane Jensen is the director of this game.  Every artistic choice begins and ends with her, including the look of the new Gabriel.  If it wasn’t what she wanted, she’d have asked for it to be reworked.  Put the credit (or blame, however you see it) where it’s due.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

theo - 08 September 2014 02:36 AM
Zifnab - 07 September 2014 07:45 PM

Huh? I was under the impression it costs nothing: Acquire AGS or adventure maker for free, and proceed to make the graphics. Where is the cost coming from?

Dan_Dan_91_07 explained it pretty good. It comes from the fact that producing hand drawn animation is crazy time consuming, and thus, expensive. Working with what people here call 2.5D art (pre-rendered assets, that is) is just insanely more cost efficient. I totally agree that BS1 and COMI etc greatly benefited from their hand drawn style, but I guess they had budgets that could handle that. BS5 didn’t.

Yeah, just what I thought - it costs absolutely nothing. Did van Gogh have “a budget” when creating his masterpieces I wonder?

(the answer is of course no)

Joined 2010-08-21

PM

Zifnab - 08 September 2014 03:57 AM

Yeah, just what I thought - it costs absolutely nothing. Did van Gogh have “a budget” when creating his masterpieces I wonder?

Planet Earth calling Zifnab.

Here on Earth we commonly use something called “money” to sustain life. We use it to purchase food for the nutrients we require as well as shelter, since the climate here on Earth can be somewhat dodgy sometimes and the occasional snowfall really is a lot more pleasant when you’ve got a roof over your head.

I’m pretty sure Van Gogh had similar needs. Smile

If the activity we Earthlings spend our time on does not generate money, it can not sustain us and thus we need to find a different money-generating activity. Thus, doing neat things like working for free doesn’t really work here in the long run. Tough rules here on Earth.

Side note: You can make perfectly good 3d characters in free software as well.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

If you cannot do what others are capable to do, and what others are doing better.

Then do something different.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

theo - 08 September 2014 04:18 AM

Van Gogh put his art before everything else. He produced hundreds of paintings and sold only one. His brother Theo supported him financially.

Should Van Gogh be a role model for developers? Nah.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

theo - 08 September 2014 04:18 AM
Zifnab - 08 September 2014 03:57 AM

Planet Earth calling Zifnab.

Here on Earth we commonly use something called “money” to sustain life. We use it to purchase food for the nutrients we require as well as shelter, since the climate here on Earth can be somewhat dodgy sometimes and the occasional snowfall really is a lot more pleasant when you’ve got a roof over your head.

If the activity we Earthlings spend our time on does not generate money, it can not sustain us and thus we need to find a different money-generating activity. Thus, doing neat things like working for free doesn’t really work here in the long run. Tough rules here on Earth.

Side note: You can make perfectly good 3d characters in free software as well.

The problem is, developers have invented this “budget” bollocks to justify getting 2 million for their Kickstarter and making rubbish like Broken Age with it. Meanwhile, freeware developers and the developers making far better games than Tim Schafer after they come home from work are showing exactly why your argument is wrong - you can make fantastic stuff with your talent without spending enormous amounts of $$$ on superfluous (and superficial) design features (otherwise known as wasting money). Van Gogh did too, but I bet if he had said he needed a “budget” he’d have a swarming team of fanboys claiming he couldn’t have painted what he did without $2 million of crowdfunding in the kitty.

Karlok - 08 September 2014 05:22 AM

Should Van Gogh be a role model for developers? Nah.

I agree entirely. Let’s do away with role models and actually, any models at all including budgetary ones.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Zifnab - 08 September 2014 05:41 AM

The problem is, developers have invented this “budget” bollocks to justify getting 2 million for their Kickstarter and making rubbish like Broken Age with it.

Grin

In one of the episodes of the DF documentary a team member talked about Shay’s reflection on the polished floors. He was so proud of it. My first thought was that DF should stop spending money they didn’t have on non-essential stuff.

I don’t agree that Broken Age is rubbish, but it could have been much better.

Meanwhile, freeware developers and the developers making far better games than Tim Schafer after they come home from work are showing exactly why your argument is wrong - you can make fantastic stuff with your talent without spending enormous amounts of $$$ on superfluous (and superficial) design features (otherwise known as wasting money).

Names?

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

Karlok - 08 September 2014 06:12 AM

Names?

Haha, well that’s why I brought up ol’ Vincent.

but okay.
Jonathan Boakes worked as a chef for a Japanese Restaurant while making the Dark Fall series. Also see The Mind’s Eye (3rd person), Slouching Towards Bedlam, Curses! (and probably most text adventures), Mikael Nyquist, the father-son team of the Capri games (who I believe both work as physicists). Also Miasmata one of the best AGs of last year, made by 2 brothers using the profits from smaller games they had made previously.

Not to mention Zork - the founder of adventure gaming. I mean come on.. bloody Zork! What more do you need?  Grin

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

The thing is Zifnab, if you want to do games professionally, then you pretty much need a budget, considering not everyone has a load of talented friends and family who are willing to work for free for the duration of the production.

Sure, in a communistic utopia it could be done, hell that’s how they did propably the most expensive movie ever filmed. Tolstois War and Peace, which is estimated costing around 100 million dollars in 1966 currency, throwing it somewhere over 500-600 million of modern moolah. They did it, as no-one had to worry about costs and they could be as elobrate they wanted.

Joined 2010-08-21

PM

If ever I hire someone it is definitely going to be someone who has a brother who can support them financially so I don’t have to pay them anything. (That or they’re also going to have to work full time at a japanese restaurant.)

Curse me for not figuring this amazingly sustainable strategy out on my own!!!11 Pan

edit: lol sorry if I came off as sounding super grouchy. I’m not. Tongue I’m just defending developer’s rights to get paid for the hard work they do, and it rubs me the wrong way when fans of the genre seem to believe otherwise.

edit2: By the way, I totally agree that the money on the big-name kickstarters probably could have been spent a lot more efficiently. So we share some common ground there at least. Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top