• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

rtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

[Archived] Time for a new community playthrough?

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

rtrooney - 26 February 2020 10:18 PM
SoccerDude - 25 February 2020 09:00 PM

I have to admit it gets trickier in open games like Shivers where you can go virtually anywhere. I remember in that playthrough, even with a leader it was hard to find breaking points, so for those types of games, it is preferable if someone who played the game joins the playthroughs to guide the players where the stopping points are.

Absolutely correct. Using Lighthouse as an example: It won the vote, but didn’t have a leader. It didn’t need to have a leader. All it needed was for the nominator of the game to declare himself the leader. And then, ask the other two players who were familiar with the game, to help him lead the game. No brainer! But because there was no leader at the end of the vote. the game was disqualified. Not good procedure.

This is all the more annoying because it reminds me of something that occurred in recent US elections. Someone who lost the popular vote by more than 3.5 Million votes, was elected to office by virtue of the Electoral College which was enacted as part of the Constitution over 200 years ago. Most people of my political persuasion think it is time for the Electoral College to be put to bed. One person-One vote should be the rule of the land.

How that applies to the current situation is simple. Majority rules. Not majority with exceptions. MAJORITY.

Wow!  Thumbs Up

With the reservation that the majority should always respect the minority and in the case of a small majority (like 52-48) try to find a compromise. The winner takes all is not the best way to rule a country. IMO. Smile

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I’m sorry that a procedure I thought was already established has caused so much angst and frustration for many of you, but please understand that there was no intended malice in this on my part.  All I meant to do was keep the voting tally running smoothly so we could get on with the next playthrough and avoid the pages of controversy this thread seems to engender.  Obviously, I failed at that. 

As far as the reams of discussion about the playthrough rules, I seem to remember that someone (maybe Giom?) had summarized them, especially the part about breaking a tie.  If anyone feels all that needs to be revisited, please start another thread.  I couldn’t face it right now. 

Just so you know, I was looking forward to playing Kentucky Route Zero, if it won, until I found out that it’s another game that requires an upgrade to my computer’s OS.  I hope to get that done in the near future, but I obviously couldn’t vote for it this round.

The two-week mark for nominations and voting is Tues., March 3, unless someone wants to extended it.  Let me know.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Karlok - 26 February 2020 10:45 PM

With the reservation that the majority should always respect the minority and in the case of a small majority (like 52-48) try to find a compromise. The winner takes all is not the best way to rule a country. IMO. Smile

Works in theory. But not all that often in real life. When a minority has been the minority for seemingly forever suddenly finds itself in the majority, the first thought is rarely, “Now we’ll show them how things ought to be run.” It’s usually, “It’s payback time.”

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Thank you Lady Kestrel for hosting this round of voting which seems to be a particularly troublesome one in which you haven’t done anything wrong.  Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Mikekelly - 26 February 2020 10:37 PM

I have NO interest in playing a game without a leader, kinda like playing DND without a Dungeon Master.

Fair enough. But if a group wants to play DND without a Dungeon Master, why should you feel the need to dictate to them that they need to have one?

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Luhr28 - 29 February 2020 04:38 PM

I have NO interest in playing a game without a leader, kinda like playing DND without a Dungeon Master.

Fair enough. But if a group wants to play DND without a Dungeon Master, why should you feel the need to dictate to them that they need to have one?

Please explain to me the part in MikeKelly’s quote that dictates anything to anyone as from where I’m looking they dictate nothing & you’re just another troll on this thread. What games have YOU nominated & voted for? I’m guessing practically none so just ....go away.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Thanks for your support, Chrissie.  It’s much appreciated. 

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

chrissie - 29 February 2020 05:23 PM
Luhr28 - 29 February 2020 04:38 PM

Please explain to me the part in MikeKelly’s quote that dictates anything to anyone as from where I’m looking they dictate nothing & you’re just another troll on this thread. What games have YOU nominated & voted for? I’m guessing practically none so just ....go away.

Well.. if the rules are that a game must have a leader, then that’s telling the group what their playthrough should be. I wasn’t specifically talking about Mikekelly.

But it seems I’m unwelcome here, so I’ll leave.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Lady Kestrel - 05 January 2020 09:59 AM

Since Lighthouse doesn’t have a leader this round, Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars (aka Circle of Blood) will be the next playthrough.  Intense Degree will set up the playthrough thread when when he’s ready to begin.

I went back and looked for the statement that started this sub-conversation, and I think this is it.

This was the point where the moderator could have said “Crabapple. you nominated the game, and it is the current winning game. This is your last chance to either lead the game or find a leader for the game. If you can’t do that within the next two days, another game will be declared the winner.

That didn’t happen. And more than a few people don’t think the arbitrariness of the statement was justified. So if there needs to be a rule change that allows a leaderless winner a second chance to find a leader, this is the evidence I present to support that rule change.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

chrissie - 24 February 2020 12:42 PM
chrissie - 24 February 2020 06:51 AM

The ‘rule’ is definitely not mine & I’m not sure of the origin but there is indication in a couple of posts made in 2012 that a game couldn’t win unless it had a leader.

Here we go:
https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/19024-time-new-community-playthrough-32.html

post #626 7th Jan 2012

My old post in your link proves MY point, not yours. The discussion about who was to be leader of the Discworld Noir playthrough took place after DN had won. In your eagerness to blame me you left out the context and guess what… it backfired.

chrissie - 29 February 2020 05:23 PM

How dare you.
Gatekeeper got a Thumbs Up from you and Luhr is trolling…?

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Karlok - 29 February 2020 08:15 PM
chrissie - 24 February 2020 12:42 PM
chrissie - 24 February 2020 06:51 AM

The ‘rule’ is definitely not mine & I’m not sure of the origin but there is indication in a couple of posts made in 2012 that a game couldn’t win unless it had a leader.

Here we go:
https://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/19024-time-new-community-playthrough-32.html
post #626 7th Jan 2012

My old post in your link proves MY point, not yours. The discussion about who was to be leader of the Discworld Noir playthrough took place after DN had won. In your eagerness to blame me you left out the context and guess what… it backfired.

It was not my intention to blame anyone for anything. The only point I was/am trying to make that there was some expectation that a game should have a leader & that’s been the case for at least the last 8 years. Yes, perhaps your old post was out of context but reading some of the other posts on the same page it’s clear that DN despite having won may have lost out to a playthrough of A Vampyre Story due to technical difficulties and the lack of a leader before SweetDalilah stepped-up.

Gatekeeper posted some useful info about playthroughs here in the past & on other forums. Luhr, you could have made your point without the quote as it comes across as an attack on that poster.

Anyway, everyone has a chance now to vote on the playthrough leader situation on Lady Kestrel’s voting thread.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

chrissie - 01 March 2020 04:30 AM

It was not my intention to blame anyone for anything.

Kind of hard to believe after your vicious outburst in the same post. And it’s not like I haven’t vented my feelings about the voting rules in the past 8 years: The fewer the better.

The only point I was/am trying to make that there was some expectation that a game should have a leader & that’s been the case for at least the last 8 years.

…that a game should have a leader *in order to win*.

Yes, perhaps your old post was out of context

There’s no perhaps about it.

but reading some of the other posts on the same page it’s clear that DN despite having won may have lost out to a playthrough of A Vampyre Story due to technical difficulties and the lack of a leader before SweetDalilah stepped-up.

You don’t want to admit you are wrong, so you drag in irrelevant stuff.

Gatekeeper posted some useful info about playthroughs here in the past & on other forums.

Gatekeeper too was wrong. On all three counts. Proposals are not “instructions”; we have had more than one type of CP; and there’s no voting at Adventure-Treff.

Luhr, you could have made your point without the quote as it comes across as an attack on that poster.

Not to me. But your response did.

You seem to have all sorts of implicit “rules” or “demands”, for lack of a better word, that you use as a weapon against posters who disagree with you (including me). Luhr is a troll who should go away, whereas Gatekeeper, who has never voted for any CP, gets a thumb-up. Nobody here has to earn the right to express their opinion. And you don’t have more rights than other people for whatever reason.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

To get back on track I’ll add a vote for Thimbleweed Park.
I was so disappointed the first time I played it but now I know what’s what I know I’ll appreciate it more this time as it really was a lot of fun up until….... Smile

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Memoria (4) - Advie (leader), Crabapple, DCast, Doom

Kentucky Route Zero, Ep. 1-5 (3) - Pegbiter, Karlok, Donuts McGee
Tormentum: Dark Sorrow (3) - Lady Kestrel (leader), Crabapple, Chrissie

The Journey Down, Ep. 1-3 (2) - Advie, Doom
Stasis (2) - Advie, DCast
Thimbleweed Park (2) - Mikekelly (leader), Chrissie

Milkmaid of the Milky Way (1) - Mikekelly (leader)
Oknytt (1) - Crabapple
A Short Hike (1) - Advie

Total Posts: 928

Joined 2009-11-10

PM

I would vote for Kentucky Route Zero.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top