• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

[Archived] Time for a new community playthrough?

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

rtrooney - 22 February 2020 08:32 PM

All of this may pertain only to AGCPTs. There have been dozens, if not hundreds of “flash” playthroughs that had no leader at the beginning, but found one as the playthrough progressed. I think I suggested a flash playthrough of a game that was favorably reviewed by AG. And it was only by luck that someone joined the playthrough that had actually played the game. His contribution was to tell us that the game consisted of four chapters, and that it was important to collect flowers. chrissie was a participant in this playthrough, so she can’t say a leaderless game can’t succeed.

I’m not sure I remember dozens never mind hundreds of flash playthroughs as unfortunately they don’t seem to be listed.
Yes, I took part in a ‘flash’ playthrough of Apocalipsis, the playthrough of this very short game instigated by you Tim who set up the thread. It was in my mind successful due to the input of Sabacc who you’d invited to join as he was familiar with the structure of the game.
True, I can’t say a leaderless game can’t succeed as I’ve never participated in a playthrough of one.  In my mind Apocalipsis wasn’t leaderless albeit the leading was in a casual capacity.

@GateKeeper   Thumbs Up 

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Make adventure gamers great again, and vote for STASIS, The Journey Down

Total Posts: 4257

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Where did I hear that before?

Ah, yes:

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I voted/nominated The Journey Down so many times that I’ve lost hope by now… But I’m always ready to support the nomination.

BTW I just noticed that Lair of the Clockwork God - a sequel to Ben There, Dan That and Time Gentlemen, Please - was released several days ago. Been waiting for it for a long time, it looks like a lot of fun and it could’ve made for a perfect CPT if only… it wasn’t also a platformer. In fact it’s a very unusual mix of a classic point-n-click and a classic side-scroller, obviously more hardcore than A Short Hike or Ron Gilbert’s The Cave. Guess it won’t find any support among the forum members.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Doom - 23 February 2020 04:51 PM

BTW I just noticed that Lair of the Clockwork God - a sequel to Ben There, Dan That and Time Gentlemen, Please - was released several days ago. Been waiting for it for a long time, it looks like a lot of fun and it could’ve made for a perfect CPT if only… it wasn’t also a platformer. In fact it’s a very unusual mix of a classic point-n-click and a classic side-scroller, obviously more hardcore than A Short Hike or Ron Gilbert’s The Cave. Guess it won’t find any support among the forum members.

Watching those store videos made me feel “WTF?!”, so it wasn’t quite what the series is supposed to be all about. Also, the devs said at one point that they tried to come up with a sequel, but couldn’t do it and abandoned the idea. Apparently, they thought of a new concept that gave them a creative outlet to do it. The problem is, most of the time when adventure series try to re-invent themselves the result is horrible, like Mask of Eternity.

I will try that game some time later on, as Time, Gentlemen, Please! is one of the bestest games ever, this one could also be a positive surprise. But if those videos are indicative of anything, I seem to dislike almost everything I see there.  Frown

(And this discussion is probably completely off-topic in this thread, somebody who plays that game can open a new thread for it?)

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Karlok - 22 February 2020 01:44 PM

For Pete’s sake, not again! I don’t even remember how we ended up with this bloody silly “rule”, one day it was just there.

I’m not sure we’re saying the same thing. (Usually we’re not.) But I remember that leaders of playthroughs were always “desirable.” It’s hard to argue with that. My playthrough experience only goes back to Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon, so other players’ memories may be better than mine. What I don’t recall is that, until recently, a winning game was threatened with disqualification, or actually disqualified for not having a leader.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Kentucky Route Zero, Ep. 1-5 (3) - Pegbiter, Karlok, Donuts McGee
Tormentum: Dark Sorrow (3) - Lady Kestrel (leader), Crabapple, Chrissie

The Journey Down, Ep. 1-3 (2) - Advie, Doom
Memoria (2) - Advie (leader), Crabapple

Milkmaid of the Milky Way (1) - Mikekelly (leader)
Oknytt (1) - Crabapple
A Short Hike (1) - Advie
Stasis (1) - Advie
Thimbleweed Park (1) - Mikekelly (leader)

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

I’ll join in on Stasis and Memoria

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Kentucky Route Zero, Ep. 1-5 (3) - Pegbiter, Karlok, Donuts McGee
Memoria (3) - Advie (leader), Crabapple, DCast
Tormentum: Dark Sorrow (3) - Lady Kestrel (leader), Crabapple, Chrissie

The Journey Down, Ep. 1-3 (2) - Advie, Doom
Stasis (2) - Advie, DCast

Milkmaid of the Milky Way (1) - Mikekelly (leader)
Oknytt (1) - Crabapple
A Short Hike (1) - Advie
Thimbleweed Park (1) - Mikekelly (leader)

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

chrissie - 22 February 2020 02:19 PM

It’s a democratic forum so if someone doesn’t agree with something they’re free to say if they have different ideas but it does need to be stated before say something like a new voting round rather than kicking off in the midst of it.

If it is truly democratic, we would have a vote about this issue rather than just state it as a fact. I happen to agree with Advie, Karlok and rtooney, that it is not fair for a game to have more people wanting to play it, and yet the less popular game gets a playthrough.

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

The ‘rule’ is definitely not mine & I’m not sure of the origin but there is indication in a couple of posts made in 2012 that a game couldn’t win unless it had a leader.

It does seem that it’s only in the last couple of years that a more popular game has lost out due to the lack of leader as up until then someone has always stepped up so the situation hasn’t arisen.

If people generally want to vote to change this rule then so be it.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Lady Kestrel - 22 February 2020 07:36 PM

Based on what I’ve read and experienced here, I was assuming that this was the tradition set early on.  In the archived voting thread HERE, I found these comments when members were discussing the next game:

Diego

There seems to be a minor issue, though - we don’t have the gamemaster.

Zobraks

What you folks need (or what ANY community playthrough needs, for that matter) is a dedicated game master/mistress who loves some game and is ready to play ball and one good player (the more the better). The rest will follow.

Fien

And let’s not forget TUBMC (The Unofficial Bad Mojo Crawlthrough). A great community playthrough with a knowledgable leader and only a few regulars.

I’ll repeat: Yes, and? What are you trying to prove by quoting me? That I was/am in favor of CP leaders? I’m not, and have never been, in favor of making it mandatory. And the irony is not lost on me that you quoted three regulars who have initiated and led UNoffical community playthroughs. As a matter of fact, that was the context of your quote.

The problem is not CP leadership, it is your new voting “rule” and to a certain extent also the voting process in general. I’ve been looking at some old posts to refresh my memory of the “discussions” about CP voting rules in hundreds(!) of pages. We have never voted on anything. No rules were ever agreed on. Every vote counter had their own interpretation of the correct procedure in case of a tie-break. 

By the way, Beneath a Steel Sky did get a leader, and we had a good playthrough.

Irrelevant. I’m shocked that you were willing to annul seven votes. And very surprised nobody objected. 

My feeling is that if a leader will get sorted out anyway, why not have one from the start?

I still don’t get it. What’s it to you (and to Chrissie) whether a CP you don’t participate in has a leader in place? Why do you care? It’s none of your business.

If others feel differently, we can certainly vote on it.

It makes me sad that you want us to vote democratically on an anti-democratic voting rule. Even more so now that the number of potential CP participants has dwindled.

Let me know your thoughts, but without the sarcasm, please.

Shrug. You see sarcasm where there was none

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

GateKeeper - 23 February 2020 08:09 AM

For Pete’s sake, not again! I don’t even remember how we ended up with this bloody silly “rule”, one day it was just there. Did you or LadyKestrel happen to sneak it in? It’s up to the participants of a specific CP to determine if it needs a leader

Not that it’s my problem either way as I don’t actively participate (I may read the playthrough threads occasionally afterwards), but that’s not how community playthroughs work.

Nonsense. We’ve had playthroughs in various forms: unofficial, spontaneous ones (no voting!), community challenges where the winner determines the next game to be played, as well as playthroughs by a single person with others posting comments on the player’s journey.

Instructions have been posted on AG forums dating back to 2007:
“What’s absolutely necessary for a good playthrough?
A dedicated person to chair it. That means someone who’ll play the game in advance to determine the sections and schedule, and will keep the discussion active and lively.”

http://adventuregamers.com/archive/forums/adventure/19024-time-new-community-playthrough.html

Instructions?? Somebody started a thread and gave his opinion, that’s all. An opinion that most people share. But that’s neither here nor there. Somehow it is now MANDATORY for all playthroughs to have a leader. LadyKestrel’s decision to annul votes, that’s what this is about

It’s also how playthroughs on other forums work. Playthroughs on Adventure-Treff always have somebody posting an introduction and leading the playthrough.

The Goddess of Irony is having a busy day…
Yes, all CPs at Adventure-Treff have a leader. But there’s no voting, never has been. (BTW, that’s the reason I promoted their relaxed way of doing things several times over the years.) The AT-PTs are comparable to the unofficial, rogue playthroughs here at AG. Not so long ago you posted that all adventure game players should learn German and Japanese. So I take it you understand German and I’m sure you can find everything you need to know in your own link. 

http://www.adventure-treff.de/forum/1/20461

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

rtrooney - 23 February 2020 07:18 PM

For Pete’s sake, not again! I don’t even remember how we ended up with this bloody silly “rule”, one day it was just there.

I’m not sure we’re saying the same thing.

Oh yes, we are saying the same thing. And you put it better than I did.

(Usually we’re not.)

No, but it’s not the first time we agreed on something.

But I remember that leaders of playthroughs were always “desirable.” It’s hard to argue with that. My playthrough experience only goes back to Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon, so other players’ memories may be better than mine. What I don’t recall is that, until recently, a winning game was threatened with disqualification, or actually disqualified for not having a leader.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top