• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

diegoIronCretinKarlokMike the Wino

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #73 - Amerzone

Total Posts: 5057

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

@Zobraks - Thanks for the Hemmingway reference. There actually is a resemblance. But only if I wear a hat. Hemmingway carried more top hair into his later years than I have managed to do.

The guitar gig did not go as well as planned. Thunderstorms on the horizon cut things short. Disappointing. The pandemic cut off almost all opportunities for playing live music with band mates. So, having to cancel an event because of weather, is just hard to take.

Anyway, what happened today cleared a good two hours from my wife’s to-do list. We will see how much I can accomplish.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5620

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

zobraks - 23 July 2022 05:28 PM

But… how?

Maybe it’s my aura or just bad luck.

Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

take it easy Lady Kestrel, you might just need a good nights sleep Smile

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

That was quick. I’m now ready for Chapter 4. Question: I went into the bar and looked around before I was put in jail. I was able to render the guard unconscious. When I left the cell I picked up a gas can and a rope. I did what you do in every adventure game since day one, I used it on the well. I met up with the priest again, and found a letter and computer disc

To answer someone’s earlier questions: The letter was not a duplicate of any letters I found before. It was simply a letter from the priest’s superior. Also, there may be another way to leave the church than the way I got in. But if there is, I didn’t find it.

However, once I was out, I looked at a WT to see if there was another way out. There is, but I didn’t see the object needed to trigger the alternate exit. And since I was already out of the church, I saw no need to go back and look for it.

Two confusing and irritating things. One: The walkthrough told me to (re)visit the bar where I found the guard babbling incoherently. His recovery was remarkable since I last saw him out cold and lying on the ground. I looked around again and found nothing I hadn’t seen before. Did I miss something? Or was this just a useless task? Two: I found the gas can. I assumed it was empty and needed to be filled at the pump by the dock. Spent more time and F-bombs looking for a hot spot on the pump so I could fill the can. In desperation I just put the can on the hot spot in the plane. Voila! It’s like another “gotcha” moment. We’re caught doing something both logical and unnecessary when the correct action is illogical based on past experience.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I don’t know how many who are playing this game are familiar with Casual Games. I know Lady K and chrissie are. I am the unofficial guardian of the casual games thread. It doesn’t get much traffic these days because the quality of casual games produced these days has hit an all time low.

The reason I bring this up is because I remember Chapter 4.

Casual games are known for two things, and hidden objects isn’t one of them. Not all casual games have hidden object scenes. What they are know for is a HINT button which gives you a clue as to what you should do next. And there is the SKIP button, which allows you to skip a puzzle altogether.

Someone, maybe me, or Lady K, or chrissie, or any number of the casual game enthusiasts on the thread, invented the phrase “Too tedious not to skip.” The gist of it was that you knew how to solve the puzzle, but the amount of time you had to invest in the solution exceeded the amount of time it took for the SKIP button to activate.

If memory serves, the next chapter is tedious to the extreme, and begs for a SKIP button.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

I was slammed with work and didn’t have a chance to play until today.  I have caught up finally, and I’m now on ch.4 screen.

So far I like Amerzone more than I don’t. I actually don’t mind the darkness all that much, and I quite like the graphics, especially when I imagine how much more impressive it was when it came out.  What I wasn’t a fan of is a huge info dump via never-ending diary and many letters strewn about. I don’t mind reading explanations and such, but I do like when other means of explaining the lore are present as well, and very few dialogues here don’t really cut it. Some of them (like the drunken soldier) are also very difficult to understand (why can’t he be drunkenly eloquent? Smile )

Like Tenebra, I pretty much find my way around this game by pulling/pushing and trying to see what something does, even though I speak the language - it’s just that vague. I have no idea why and how I did what I did in chapter 2, and some stuff in ch.1 either. I’m not sure why I needed the sword and alternative way to get out? Would it be some kinda danger if I went out the original way? Although, getting out of prison in ch.3 was a giant LOL moment. Can you say “convenient”?

Despite all the sunshine, wildlife and beautiful shots the game does appear quite grim. Didn’t expect that scene with the priest, who very handily waited for us to come to church so he can die a bit more dramatically - with a final speech.

The alligators looked very promising though, so I’m looking forward to continue.

Also, this hydrofloat is pretty neat. I want one.

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

rtrooney - 24 July 2022 03:19 PM

Two confusing and irritating things. One: The walkthrough told me to (re)visit the bar where I found the guard babbling incoherently. His recovery was remarkable since I last saw him out cold and lying on the ground. I looked around again and found nothing I hadn’t seen before. Did I miss something? Or was this just a useless task?

The first guard is still out cold by the jail cell when you listen to the drunk one (I checked because I also thought it was the same one), so there must be two of them then. I have only visited the bar in the beginning - it was empty, and AFTER I saw the priest die. So I thought that they put the drunken guard there just to explain to the player what exactly happened, otherwise everything would be even more confusing. Not sure if there was something else walkthrough wanted you to find. I haven’t either

Total Posts: 4288

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Glad to see you in the playthrough, and thank you for voting for it!

It could always be worse, remember that.
mjp

Total Posts: 1352

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

I’m also through chapter 3, which was short and pretty easy as others have observed.

Still impressed by how good this game looks the ‘travelling’ cutscenes are so good, particularly the crocodiles in the first one.

Puebla felt slightly like the environment came first and then the puzzles and ‘activities’ of the chapter came after and they sort of run out of ideas! Secret passages seem to fall open in front of me, guards are incapacitated at the drop of a hat, priests confess all without prompting and are killed just in time for me to get a last word from them.

Once again, apparently I’m not interested in checking whether any of these people are actually dead… best just to leave them be!

I did find the sword and corresponding secret passage but didn’t see the drunk guard anywhere. The fact that I am thinking about loading up a save and going to have a look for him tells me that, despite any criticisms I have of the game, I am enjoying it!

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Advie - 23 July 2022 05:49 PM
Lady Kestrel - 23 July 2022 04:55 PM

I’ve killed off 2 people so far.  Embarassed

that is more of an allergy Mary, LK.

1. that is a joke
2. LK will accept it
3. i mean no bad
4. i swear for all of the above

Thumbs Up

I’m not up to speed so I just hope this happened in-game, LK.

Currently at chapter 3. I like the graphics here. So far I mostly liked the (drawn) art in the sketches, but I’m beginning to like the environments as well.

@rtrooney: the G, hm.. Green could do.

Total Posts: 4288

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

rtrooney - 23 July 2022 08:56 PM

@Zobraks - Thanks for the Hemmingway reference.

You’re welcome.

rtrooney - 23 July 2022 08:56 PM

There actually is a resemblance. But only if I wear a hat. Hemmingway carried more top hair into his later years than I have managed to do.

I don’t know how you look like, I referred to your avatar. Wink

Btw, I’ve never played anything like Amerzone - where most of the time I don’t know what’s going on and what I’m supposed to do, and yet everything goes so swiftly. Either I’ve played too many adventures or I’m in a resonance with the late Benoit Sokal. Call me a psychic.

I must confess something:

Don’t hurl bricks at me!

It could always be worse, remember that.
mjp

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

How about a few pebbles?

Chapters 4 & 5

I think it’s time to ease on down the river, and I think it’s best to combine both of these chapters to help with the flow of the game.  You’ll make several stops in chapter 4, one at a dock and several because of interesting obstacles. Smile

Once you get past the waterfall and reach another dock, chapter 5 will begin.  You may need the diary as a refresher as to where you are, but it should soon become obvious.  After exploring thoroughly and making repairs in more ways than one, you’ll be on your way again.  Stop when you are forced to stop.

Total Posts: 533

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Ok, I’m at the beginning of chapter 6.

The section with the grapnel in chapter 4 was not that great. In no way does the game communicate to the player that clicking at a spot with the grapnel icon means that you aim at that spot. On the contrary, unless you happen to click at the absolute correct spot the grapnel ends up in the same spot in the water, no matter if you have pointed it to a completely different spot. In a couple of instances it was also very hard to actually see which spot you should aim at. If memory serves, this section was much improved/simplified in the redone iOS/mac version.

Why were there a bow and arrows with some sedative in that small cave, conveniently near where the rhinopotamus (?) ended up with our grapnel?

The fire/wasps puzzle was the worst in the game so far. Bad on more levels than one.

There were some cases of frustrating pixelhunting in both chapters. Even when confined within the hydrofloat thingy I spent quite some time searching for active hotspots. Thought I’d hit gamebreaking bugs on at least a couple of occasions.

But ultimately this is a game that’s hard not to like, despite its flaws. It has charm! Can’t wait to continue.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Yes, the use of the grapnel is much easier in my version.  I do love the animals, especially those pesky pechosaurs.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

Chapter 4. Grappling hook. That’s it.
Chapter 5. Now it gets interesting. I haven’t finished it yet.

I’m pretty sure that the animal we stuck the grappling hook into should have died or at least suffered a very serious injury, even though the game a few minutes later wants to show us a different scenario. May our conscience leave us alone during the trip, thy ... eternal enemy and companion, let us cleanse our guilt!
I think Disco Elysium is getting to me.

@DCast Nice to see you here. ~

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top