• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CaliMonk

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #32: Toonstruck

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Lady Kestrel - 18 March 2015 11:46 PM

Carnegie Hall was not in my future. Smile

Not even with sufficient practice?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

TimovieMan - 19 March 2015 09:04 AM

Not even with sufficient practice?

You caught my reference, Timo.  I always had too many other things to do.  Wink

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I’m well behind - again Shifty Eyed - but I’m trying to catch up. Still have to reach Zanydu (funny, they actually pronounce it zany-du where I originally thought it was pronounced more like Xanadu), but so far I’ve caught the mouse, won the chain and got the watering can.

The cutscene with the Footman was absolutely hilarious! Classic toon. Cool

And I want to echo the (paraphrased) sentiment that was uttered in the arcade with Flux and Fingers: “I don’t trust King Hugh. He’s too happy.”

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

TimovieMan - 20 March 2015 09:28 AM

Still have to reach Zanydu (funny, they actually pronounce it zany-du where I originally thought it was pronounced more like Xanadu), [/spoiler].

It’s a pun. Tongue

And I want to echo the (paraphrased) sentiment that was uttered in the arcade with Flux and Fingers: “I don’t trust King Hugh. He’s too happy.”

Funny, I don’t remember distrusting King Hugh at all when I played Toonstruck for the first time. Calm, collected, understands what has to be done, good at delegating, lovely voice.

I have to do some catching up as well.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Karlok - 20 March 2015 04:46 PM

It’s a pun. Tongue

Yes, I obviously realized that when I heard it pronounced in-game. I just hadn’t made the connection beforehand. Tongue

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Wow, Drew can really play the organ. I’ve finally made it to Zanydu, so I’m a bit behind. I wish there were more FMV sequences where we would get to see Drew’s face—it’s strange for some reason seeing him as an animated sprite without facial expressions.

I agree with Drew’s boss—Fluffy Fluffy Bun Bun is a more interesting character than Flux Wildly. Does Flux ever develop in any way? He reminds me of Max from Sam & Max, but without the clever one-liners. Though I do like the way he removes his glasses/eyes from time to time. Those ARE his eyes he removes, right?

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Aha, finally someone agrees with me that Flux is a bland character. If the excellent voiceacting was less good it would be more noticeble that he doesn’t add anything of importance to the game. Just listen to what he says: nothing! He stands by his pal Drew, that’s about it.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I still like Flux and some of his sarcastic comments, and he does come in handy, at least as a bowling ball. Grin

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

I love flux too. Maybe he isn’t as witty as Max, but the voice acting and animations for the character makes him very lovable.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

TimovieMan - 20 March 2015 09:28 AM

The cutscene with the Footman was absolutely hilarious! Classic toon. Cool

Oh, yeah. I should have probably mentioned it in the opening post, but - if someone asked me which game is the “closest to experiencing an animated movie in the form of an adventure game”, there wouldn’t be a competition to Toonstruck. It’s a big, fun, cartoon ride from start to finish. The most important thing, though, is that the design and the standard inventory fare with a large number of items and puzzles doesn’t break that “cartoon-feel flow”.

Karlok - 20 March 2015 04:46 PM

Funny, I don’t remember distrusting King Hugh at all when I played Toonstruck for the first time.

Ditto. And to those who “suspect” dear and kind King Hugh Tongue - there’s a “twist”, but I don’t think anyone is able to guess it.

Becky - 21 March 2015 11:19 AM

I wish there were more FMV sequences where we would get to see Drew’s face—it’s strange for some reason seeing him as an animated sprite without facial expressions.

Oh, there will be (along with “many hilarious faces of Drew” Smile . As said, Toonstruck follow the “old school” approach with rewarding players with cutscenes for every little breakthrough.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I’m ready to move on with this toon story, Diego.  What’s next?

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Because we have more than one player ready to catch up, I’m giving you a whole week to find out:

You do remember Ray, right? (if you do happen to find Ray earlier, jump to do some quizzing, or captioning in the meantime Grin)

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Your favorite quotes so far?!

Flux: (when asked to try the Gift-O-Matic) Nah, I’m local. That thing is for tourists

Drew: (inspecting the cuckoo clock) That mechanical bird is in even worse shape than the clock!

Woof: (when Drew tries Gift-O-Matic after having won all of the prizes) I hate to break it to you, son, but this a business, not a charity.

What’s yours?

Trivia (thanks to Mobygames and TV Tropes)

• One of the creatures that gets zapped by the Malevolator during the game’s intro, turns into something strongly resembling the Warner Brothers cartoon character ‘Taz of Tazmania’.
• Costumes in the costume shop include ones that resemble Elmer Fudd’s hunting costume, Marvin the Martian’s garb, and a familiar WB-style robot (as often seen in Marvin the Martin cartoons), also resembling Robby The Robot from TVs Lost In Space.
• The lower half of the Robot Maker resembles the lower half of a Dalek, the famous nemeses of ‘Doctor Who’. In fact, with his humanoid upper half and his Dalek-like base, the Robot Maker vaguely resembles Davros, the Daleks creator. He even quotes the Daleks famous line, “Exterminate”, as well as “Resistance Is Futile” – the saying associated with the Borg, the arch-enemy in several Star Trek series.
• In the French version of the game, Flux’s voice is performed by Luq Hamet… Who is the official French dubber for Michael J. Fox in “Back to the Future”.
• The German version makes Bartender talk with Dutch and Swiss accent. Grin

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

diego - 22 March 2015 06:51 PM

That is really funny Grin I don’t remember a game before that went to this extent when it came to localization.

As far as quotes go:

Robot:“I am equipped with a 100 percent synthetic, error-free, positronic brain. A brain infinitely superior to the grey lump of mucus that shivers and sweats in your monkey skull. But that’s not all. In parallel, my brain is supported by a one-of-a-kind, state-of-the-art, twin-turbo, self-cleaning, air-conditioned, micro-macro processor.”
Flux:“That’s one hell of a chip you got on your shoulder.”

B.B. Wolf: “Howwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww ya doin’ gents? Lovely day for a stroller ain’t it? B.B. wolf at your surface. Grin

I just can’t get enough of how he mixes all his words.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

diego - 22 March 2015 06:51 PM

I checked the German version at youtube. I wouldn’t dare say anything about the Swiss accent, but the Dutch part is more a matter of inserting lots of Dutch words. Cool For example: mattenklopper instead of the German word Teppichklopfer (carpet beater). And niet te geloven instead of unglaublich (incredible).

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top