• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #32: Toonstruck

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Becky - 09 April 2015 10:56 PM

I now need to outwit a carnivorous mammal

Who’s that?

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Not sure, as I’m still playing. But my guess is that I’ll probably need to outwit Ms. Fortune at some point.

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Becky - 10 April 2015 08:31 PM

Not sure, as I’m still playing. But my guess is that I’ll probably need to outwit Ms. Fortune at some point.

I guess BB wolf counts as a mammal we outwitted:)

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

The reason I’m prolonging the official deadline a few days more is because we still have some active players! (including yours truly Gamemaster Crazy - I’m stuck at Ray’s crate - I totally forgot how’s it opened. Well, I think I’m missing an item…)

Also, the gargoyle puzzle was great. It’s my second favorite next to the clock puzzle in Zanydu.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Becky - 01 April 2015 10:57 PM

I just finished finding the carecrow an outfit. It took seven tries.

Hehe… I still don’t know how we’re supposed to guess exactly which costume is the right one based on Carecrow’s description. It’s one of the more far-fetched puzzles in game, but still a fun one. Grin

Becky - 01 April 2015 10:57 PM

I’ve been using the hole. It hasn’t actually been useful yet, as it’s made the trips longer rather than shorter, but it’s entertaining.

The hole would have been useful, if it wasn’t for the right click for quick screen exit. (well, apart from the tedious Cutopia forest/B.B. Wolf’s transition where you need to walk the entire screen every time). Actually, I remember even when I played Toonstruck shortly after it was released that I thought it’s ahead of its time in terms of a comfortable interface - it certainly wasn’t the first to do any of those things, but it packed it all together - smart cursor, skipping the line of a dialogue, quick exits…

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Lady Kestrel - 27 March 2015 10:22 PM

You can take your time repeating the sequence.  Although it wasn’t that difficult, I took the time to draw a clown’s head and number the parts as I went along.

Hehe… why I haven’t thought of this? There’s a Serbian proverb, that roughly translates as: A smart man writes it down; a fool remembers. Smile

Becky - 04 April 2015 12:46 PM

So good to see my judgment of Fluffy Fluffy Bun Bun’s character was not amiss.

Thumbs Up Yeah, that was a spot on! (but I didn’t want to tell you you’re right at the time Tongue )

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

SoccerDude28 - 10 April 2015 09:48 PM

I guess BB wolf counts as a mammal we outwitted:)

I don’t remember ending up in a cooking pot before in an adventure game. I think it’s a first.

Also, the hypnosis sequence late in the game took me by surprise. I think Drew and Tex Murphy should compete against one another on “Dancing with the Stars.” I’m still working on getting past the cat-who-thinks-she-knows-everything (and probably does).

diego - 12 April 2015 06:34 AM

Also, the gargoyle puzzle was great. It’s my second favorite next to the clock puzzle in Zanydu.

Well, I think we must agree to disagree here. Do you know how many times I walked from one gargoyle to the other, thinking I just wasn’t fast enough? I finally looked at a walkthrough. I read the so-called solution, and thought the walkthrough writer must have made a mistake (and that’s the polite way of putting it). After more traipsing around the gargoyles, the light bulb finally clicked on. I’d like to hypnotize whoever thought of this puzzle and make them dance.

As proof that I am getting into the spirit of this game, I purposely failed the security puzzle over and over so I could see the 13 1/2 ton weight do its job.

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

diego - 12 April 2015 06:34 AM

I got stuck on this one for a while, because I did not see the horn at first. Once I knew there was a horn to interact with, I had no problem solving it.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I finished the game. Did anyone else get a note from Snout?

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Becky - 13 April 2015 10:31 AM

No, I didn’t.  Both times I got captured I gave him a bad allergic reaction and just left him near the cell.  What did the note say?

I spent quite a bit of time figuring out the gargoyle puzzle.  I realized fairly early that I had to sneak up on the right one, but then I kept trying to grab the horn instead of the head.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

The note shows up if you end up back in your cell so often that Snout gives up entirely. The note tells you that the key is under the welcome mat. Interestingly, though Snout has gone, his hotspot next to the wall where he lands when he sneezes is still active.

In other words, it seems to be a reward if you are grossly incompetent.

Why do I always seem to win those?  Naughty

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I finally had some time to play again. I’m now out of the wolf’s lair and looking for the pieces for the cutifier (so I’m well behind).

I can’t believe how good this game is! I’m smiling at most of the lines, laughing out loud at most of the cutscenes, enjoying the dialogues and voice acting, and I’m loving the (cartoony) logic of the puzzles - they’re well thought-out and make sense to me.

I haven’t felt this rewarded with cutscenes for progress in a long time. And the cutscenes are brilliant! I had a great time with the WACME product demonstrations, Ahnold Jim’s acrobatics and the entire “rolling pot” cutscene in the wolf’s lair. Christopher Lloyd’s expressions while flexing his muscles are a hoot as well.
And I love the puns! “Taking the ‘Jim’ out of ‘gymnasium’” had me in stitches. And all the sexual innuendo in the barn (both pre- and post-malification) is genius!

I’m seriously regretting not picking up this game 20 years ago. If this game keeps this up, it’s a strong candidate for my all-time top 10.

It’s also been a while since I last took notes during a game (last time was the Obsidian CPT, probably). It’s been necessary for the phone numbers and for the answers to the (changing Angry ) quiz questions.

Heck, the only negative comments I have so far is that the cutscenes aren’t subtitled, that the puzzle to fix the “elephant tram” to Zanydu contains logic I can’t follow and that it took me a while to bake the bread as I wanted to combine the spit and dough in my inventory instead of just leaving the spit on its rest and using the dough on that...

Top game so far, and probably definitely the closest thing to an actual ‘toon’ I’ve ever played!

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Great, Tim, I’m glad there’re more players catching up as I’m late with the second part of the Malevolands characters (not to mention I haven’t finished it myself yet). Grin

I’ll leave more comments later, but as for now:

SoccerDude28 - 01 April 2015 02:06 PM

This game is one of the biggest surprises for me.

TimovieMan - 14 April 2015 05:00 PM

I can’t believe how good this game is!

We did it, my dear Toonstruck brothers and sisters! Two more converted comrades! Naughty  Cool

Seriously, it’s not been the most successful playthrough you’ll see in terms of number of players, but even one of these comments are surely to make any gamemaster more than happy!  Thumbs Up

TimovieMan - 14 April 2015 05:00 PM

that the puzzle to fix the “elephant tram” to Zanydu contained logic I didn’t quite follow

Here’s the UHS copied solution, step by step:

Look at what the hands hold. 
One is empty.
The other holds a peanut.
This would obviously cause the elephant to walk towards it.
What might cause the elephant to walk away from it?
What is an elephant afraid of?
Mice.
Where have you had a run-in with a mouse?
The Irish pub.
How do I trap the mouse?
Take the mouse and put it in the left hand of the transportation device.
An unconscious mouse isn’t very scary to an elephant, so you are going to have to wake it up.
You need something pungent, and piercing to wake up the mouse.
Do you have anything pungent.  Possibly something that has a pungent odor?
The vegi-grow fertilizer is the most horrid smelling thing that you have. Use it on the mouse to wake him.

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Becky - 13 April 2015 10:31 AM

I got a note from Snout Grin I actually got caught on purpose, just to see all the different puzzles to get out of jail. I really appreciate how much effort they put into all the various ways snout can be abused Tongue It shows the level of polish Toonstruck has.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

diego - 14 April 2015 05:39 PM

Here’s the UHS copied solution, step by step:

Yeah, in hindsight it makes cartoon sense, but I solved it by basically trying everything on everything - it felt random beforehand.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top