• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Mystery Game X - Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, 20th Anniversary Edition

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2010-08-03

PM

I can’t speak for the game because I haven’t played it yet.But the way I see it is that we all agree to disagree on what is an adventure game and there are many games that push those boundaries.But they all have audiences and the only way to keep everyone satisfied is to have a stream of games in all those types/templates/subgenres or whatever else you want to call it.I myself am very tolerant on the games I play and while I might find flaws in them I rarely go so far as to dismiss the creators completely.
For example,I might say that BS4 was utter crap but I still want the company to get more games out.And guess what,I was satisfied.It took a while but Revo took the message and learnt from their mistakes and produced a game I was happy with.Also don’t forget this is a company which released two hd remasters and only one of them had extra content.But it was what kept them afloat and working on the new game.
Adventure games are a lot harder to release nowadays because the market for them is so much lower than other genres.Especially since most of the audience has high standards.There aren’t many publishers out there ready to throw cash into the genre so it becomes even more difficult to release a game.Many of the developers I’ve talked to have day jobs as well to be able to continue working on the games.
So for me,the fact that we have studios that are getting games out there ,as flawed as they are,but slowly making progress,is hopeful.
I’m not saying they aren’t at fault when they make bad choices but hey,they’ll learn and as long as I’m seeing signs of progress I will support them.I’m talking in general here,not just about POS.I’d rather have something to play than nothing at all.
Not expecting everyone will agree with me,just saying my piece.

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2014-10-17

PM

as a person who made an explicitly noticeable contribution to this project, my reaction to some of the skeptics/detractors and questions:

- keep in mind on what kind of budget and timeline the visual and audio assets were created.
- at the same time the pricepoint here is very low
- is this game something you’d be proud of your kids for playing and loving?

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Nico Sels - 17 October 2014 03:50 PM

Can some admin *please* help me to unsubscribe to this thread! I did that about 10 times but I keep getting mails and I SO want to get out of here.

Are you clicking the “Unsubscribe from this thread” button under the thread title, or are you trying to change it in your member profile’s subscription manager???

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2006-08-27

PM

I’m not subscribed to this thread according to both the link under the title of the thread or my personal settings. Yet I keep getting mails. on which I have clicked the unsubscribe button several times.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Well, the thread has been moving like a freight train, so maybe you’re still getting mails you should ideally have gotten this morning?

If the problem persists, I suggest you post it here where the *real* admins (Marek, tabacco and Jackal - as opposed to the forum moderators like me) will definitely see it.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 121

Joined 2011-10-25

PM

If you don’t click anything in your next email reminder about a new post, it won’t send new ones (until the next time you look in the thread after that). Not a permanent fix, but it’s something.

Katie Hallahan
Designer, PR Director
Phoenix Online Studios

Total Posts: 59

Joined 2003-12-31

PM

Most of the criticism in the pages of this thread make the thread nearly unreadable for me. The total lack of charity and humility in the criticism. The childish, redundant, loud criticism from people who haven’t and refuse to play the game. The obvious frustration of people who have played the game and are trying to be even-handed with their reflection. Why not call out of the “professional naysayers,” who seem to show up for every thread as if it were their job?

These threads are a dime a dozen on AG these days. Super, super frustrating, as I have been following these forums for as long as they’ve existed. Seems like there used to be more charitable voices around here and more constructive dialogue. Maybe I’m wrong about my perception of “the golden days.” But more and more I find myself not wanting to show up here at all.

Really sad and frustrating. How do you fix it?

THANK GOD the staff of AG keeps the trolls away from writing reviews for this site.

Joined 2006-08-27

PM

Marek Bronstring still in charge here? good.
thanks Timovieman Wink

Joined 2006-08-27

PM

Thanks Katie! I’ll just log out and never come back! ;-)

Total Posts: 200

Joined 2006-05-29

PM

cesarbittar - 17 October 2014 05:03 AM

We were talking how this way of doing convos have been much more well received than the way we did it in Moebius. Which is great but her immediate reaction, which I share, was “I don’t understand”.

That’s because she and I like dynamism. We like cameras changing, things not being static all the time. I personally get easily bored at static cameras. I have a really tough time getting through conversations in Daedelic games or something like TLJ (Even if it’s one of my fav games ever). So, it was something Jane saw in Cognition and TSL and pushed for having in Moebius.

I think this comment is quite telling, and acts as a microcosm of the whole situation.

While it’s great to have ambition, knowing ones own abilities and limitations - and then focussing on, and honing the things you can do well - is also a valuable skill.  It’s often preferable to attempting something more complex that you’re unable to achieve convincingly.  Learning to walk before you can run and all that.

Total Posts: 189

Joined 2010-06-26

PM

Veovis - 17 October 2014 10:44 AM
Niclas - 16 October 2014 04:37 PM

Remake of gk3 would be awesome, since that game has not aged that well.

Boy, do we have different views on both those points…  Here’s hoping there will never ever be an attempt to remake GK3. It’s perfect, despite and/or because its design flaws and somewhat dated graphics.

The ONLY way I would be okay with that game being remade is if EVERYTHING was kept the same, and only character models/environments were updated with new graphics, a bit like Grim Fandango remastered. In my eyes it’s perfection anyway but it definitely doesn’t need a 20th Anniversary edition job! NO WAY JOSE lol. I really doubt it would ever happen anyway. Would be very cool if a fan someone updated the graphics though via a mod.

Actually, take out Mosely disguise puzzle and it really would be perfection!

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

TimovieMan - 17 October 2014 03:46 PM
Bogi - 17 October 2014 05:26 AM

Sometimes nothing is much better than something. I’m not sure how this “developers vs. players” war is good for the community, but I’m amazed how someone can be so blinded not to see that making bad games only hurts the genre.
And the idea that people should rally behind such a wreck (I’m sorry but it is what it is) like Moebius is setting new standards for living in illusion.

^ This.

No. This is complete bunk.

It can certainly be true on an individual basis: “I don’t like this, so I won’t buy it, because nothing is better than something I won’t like.” But conflating that with “I don’t like something, therefore it is bad” is mistake number one. And to extend that to “I don’t like something, therefore the developer should have made it how I like it or not made it at all” is exactly the kind of nauseating hubris I was referring to earlier. We see the same nonsense every time people whine about pixel art—or Myst-style games, or hidden object games, or you-name-it throughout the years. It’s just as utterly ignorant no matter what the subject.

These are not bridges with a functional purpose and measurable characteristics of success. Games are art, and so long as some people value and enjoy an artist’s creation, something is always better than nothing. To say otherwise is to claim that one person’s (or group’s) tastes and opinions are inherently superior than others’, which of course is idiotic.

And people REALLY need to get over this “genre” thing. There is no such thing as a genre—it can’t be hurt, killed, helped, or revived. There are only individual games, around which we create an imaginary box and call it a genre. The quality of Moebius, GK, or any other game has absolutely no bearing on the imaginary box, except inside people’s heads.

EDIT: Also, Nico, you’re not showing any thread subscriptions in admin, so presumably it’s just taking a while for your preferences to fully register.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I also think that there has been unnecessarily hard hatred towards some of the games and developers here (and some other threads before this). Criticism is fine but indeed this “if you don’t make it like this, don’t make it at all” and “this is the worst crap ever” and “I won’t even buy/play this but I’ll keep bashing it in this thread for weeks” are the kinds of attitudes that I don’t really appreciate.

I’m going to test my copy today. It’s a long game so I’m not sure I’ll finish it right away but I feel like I want to say something about the game too and I’m not going to base my opinion in someone else’s review or a couple of screenshots.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

The timing of this release seems poor. Forget the flood of AAA releases coming, even adventure fans are probably going to gravitate toward Ethan Carter and Dreamfall Chapters. I’ll get to it eventually, but by then it’ll probably be time for holiday sales.

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2013-10-31

PM

TimovieMan - 17 October 2014 03:46 PM
Drusain - 17 October 2014 01:11 PM

I feel should clarify a little bit about the topic highlighting here. The first time you talk to Grace, you get a tutorial message saying “most” highlighted topics are required to complete the game. In Day1, in Grace’s subtopic list, we highlight Voodoo because that triggers the Voodoo Museum/Shop, and we highlight Messages because that triggers the Police Station, among other things. But clicking those topics are not “puzzles.” You could just as easily click-spam all of the subtopics until you exhaust all of them and something finally unlocks.

I consciously wrote “most” when writing the tutorial because not all required topics are highlighted. Specifically, topics related to puzzles are NOT highlighted. If you only click topics that are highlighted, you won’t get very far in Day2 because the two major puzzles you need to do in Mosely’s Office are not highlighted. We don’t provide puzzle spoilers in that way.

Wait, so the highlighting is there to “mostly” help? Based on that description it’s not helpful at all as you still don’t know for sure which dialogue options to try and which not (so you kinda still need to try all of them).
Wouldn’t it have been better just to gray out all the options you’ve exhausted (so clicking them would only repeat things you’ve heard before), and leave the rest untouched??? That would mean that new topics and topics that provide new responses are the only ones that are highlighted…

This refers to something different. Exhausted topics are removed from the topic list. Topics that can be exhausted, but still are necessary for later (like Grace for research), are darkened (or “grayed-out”).

Brian Zabell
Phoenix Online QA/Technical Editor

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top