• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Mystery Game X - Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, 20th Anniversary Edition

Total Posts: 5838

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Shnubble - 17 October 2014 12:08 PM
chrissie - 17 October 2014 11:45 AM

The only silly people here are the ones that waste their time posting about games they don’t like. Haven’t you got anything better to do?

I take into account that this was in response to tomint, but I don’t think it’s silly at all to talk about something you are passionate about. I might be wiser sometimes to simply shut up for harmony’s sake, but that’s not how we humans work. If I had the time I’d surely find a topic you had to say something negative about instead of keeping quiet,  like say, right here, a couple of posts above,  where you didn’t seem to be happy with the kind of people offering their opinions in this sacred halls of pure adventure joy.

Shnubble, I just don’t like to entertain the opinions of anyone who either hasn’t bothered to play a game & bases all their posts on what they’ve read or has no time for AGs & bases their criticism on comparisons to their preferred genre. I’m happy to read all criticism from anyone that truly wants to play the game for their enjoyment & not merely to criticise.

Total Posts: 1235

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

Wow.

There are not enough butt plug articles on the internet to stem the massive flow of bullshit coming out of this thread.

I just have to keep reminding myself that this group of people, as pedantic and loud and awful as they are, is just one tiny, ineffectual corner of the internet, and only the tiniest sliver of the adventure-game-buying public.

Total Posts: 5838

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Lambonius - 17 October 2014 12:52 PM

Wow.
There are not enough butt plug articles on the internet to stem the massive flow of bullshit coming out of this thread.

I did think of a less then than lovely place to shove your butt plug articles…..... Laughing

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

chrissie - 17 October 2014 01:06 PM

Wow.

I did think of a less then than lovely place to shove your butt plug articles…..... Laughing

I try to stick them where they’re most needed.  Smile

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

chrissie - 17 October 2014 01:06 PM

Wow.

Well THAT IS what they’re meant for, so it is perfectly lovely place for it.

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2013-10-31

PM

zane - 17 October 2014 11:52 AM
diego - 17 October 2014 11:43 AM

I think higlighting dialog choices that are relevant to progress is killing one whole aspect of the game, no matter how trivial it may seem. I’ll try to explain - many of you mentioned the “complicated” dialog system in the game, but that’s EXACTLY why I think it’s the last game where this highlighting system should be implemented: Progressing through or, exploring if you want, the dialogs in GK1 seemed to me like a world on its own - a game within the game. It completely redesigned the narrating concept with few dialog options, especially because you need to be “smart” if you want to cut your time through the babbling with selecting the right choice, and that’s where the challenge came from. You also needed to re-question what you’ve learned so far, and thus, make some “dialog backtracking” in order to proceed, all the time keeping the “dialog tension”, or puzzle if you will in the air. The new system is not without its merits - but it’s suited for games with “brief” and standard dialog systems, and even than it would be nice to have a special “dialog highlighting” button, so that would be optional. PO Studios might have invented an original and radical design concept, but they’ve chosen a totally wrong game for it.

Agreed. But it goes further than that, not only is the “path” highlighted, but some trees have been truncated or removed anyway. Like dr jon only talks about historical voodoo, he doesnt talk about current voodoo. And theres some cases here and there where you do you have to use dialogue options that arent highlighted.. which feels inconsistent.

I feel should clarify a little bit about the topic highlighting here. The first time you talk to Grace, you get a tutorial message saying “most” highlighted topics are required to complete the game. In Day1, in Grace’s subtopic list, we highlight Voodoo because that triggers the Voodoo Museum/Shop, and we highlight Messages because that triggers the Police Station, among other things. But clicking those topics are not “puzzles.” You could just as easily click-spam all of the subtopics until you exhaust all of them and something finally unlocks.

I consciously wrote “most” when writing the tutorial because not all required topics are highlighted. Specifically, topics related to puzzles are NOT highlighted. If you only click topics that are highlighted, you won’t get very far in Day2 because the two major puzzles you need to do in Mosely’s Office are not highlighted. We don’t provide puzzle spoilers in that way.

As far as the Dr John here, I’m not exactly sure what you’re experiencing, but both Historical Voodoo and Current Voodoo are definitely in the remake. Historical Voodoo is highlighted because it triggers the “Marie Laveau” subtopic and “Current Voodoo” is highlighted because it triggers the “Hoodoo” subtopic.

Brian Zabell
Phoenix Online QA/Technical Editor

Total Posts: 121

Joined 2011-10-25

PM

Also, if you only do the highlighted topics, you’re really going to miss the meat of the story. You’ll finish it, sure, but there’s so much you won’t get to see or hear.

Katie Hallahan
Designer, PR Director
Phoenix Online Studios

Total Posts: 5

Joined 2013-10-31

PM

KatieHal - 17 October 2014 01:26 PM

Also, if you only do the highlighted topics, you’re really going to miss the meat of the story. You’ll finish it, sure, but there’s so much you won’t get to see or hear.

Incidentally, I’ve watched a few people playing the game on Twitch and one thing that they all had in common was that they were clicking the non-highlighted topics before the highlighted ones. I asked one player why she was doing that, and she said it was to experience the atmosphere from the writing before working on progression.

Brian Zabell
Phoenix Online QA/Technical Editor

Total Posts: 6595

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Drusain - 17 October 2014 01:11 PM

In Day1, in Grace’s subtopic list, we highlight Voodoo because that triggers the Voodoo Museum/Shop, and we highlight Messages because that triggers the Police Station, among other things. But clicking those topics are not “puzzles.” You could just as easily click-spam all of the subtopics until you exhaust all of them and something finally unlocks.

It’s not a “standard” puzzle, sure. But you’re taking away the joy of being FAST, efficient… with right dialog topics (for example, I’m choosing the “Voodoo” as the very first topic when talking to someone based on my deduction on the previous events in game - I realize that was the very exact topic that got me deep into the game story and progress - I feel happy) by highlighting few of them.

KatieHal - 17 October 2014 01:26 PM

Then why “risking” it at the first place by not including the option to turn it off?

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 121

Joined 2011-10-25

PM

As many have pointed out, because there’s SO MUCH dialogue in this game, it’s helpful to have, especially for new players.

Not being a programmer, I couldn’t answer as far as what’s involved in having the option to turn it off. It may be a simple thing or it may be surprisingly complex and hard to implement.

Katie Hallahan
Designer, PR Director
Phoenix Online Studios

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

Metacritic is steadily going UP!

It’s now at 74, merely one point shy of becoming a green rated game Laughing
Adventuregamers.com review is still missing, but I’m confident that they’ll give a very decent score (given that they even awarded 4 stars to Larry Reloaded)

Joined 2013-03-31

PM

As far as I can tell, the only people upset about the dialog highlighting causing “spoilers” are people who have already played the original and know the story inside and out.

Let’s think about that for a moment.

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

The problem with threads like this—as always—is not the criticism, but the complete and utter lack of humility from the most vocal of those sharing it. If you don’t like/approve/agree with something, by all means say so. If you’ve got suggestions to improve a game, even better. But if you can’t do so respectfully, and/or you’re still spewing the same opinion five posts later, just louder and more obnoxiously, you’ve stopped having any positive value in a discussion and gone in the exact opposite direction.

Given how often you’ve been the one doing the defecating, just keep the buttplugs to yourself.

subbi - 17 October 2014 01:45 PM

Adventuregamers.com review is still missing, but I’m confident that they’ll give a very decent score (given that they even awarded 4 stars to Larry Reloaded)

It will probably get a good score because GK1 is a very good game, regardless of the version, but there’s really no correlation with Larry. Two different people, two different games. (Even the same person might have radically different views of two radically different games.)

More importantly, unlike with Larry, I deliberately went with someone who has NO experience with the series. That is, after all, the audience this remake is really for. Everyone else is coming from an impossibly biased perspective, for better or worse. For the diehard fans, we did (just as intentionally) have a series vet preview the game instead.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I haven’t played this game (and for that matter, I haven’t played Moebius either), but a lot of the comments and concepts that have been thrown around in this thread seem to apply to game development in general, and not just GK (or Moebius). In that regard, a lot of what the “negative” people here are saying is very much correct, imo.

cesarbittar - 17 October 2014 03:47 AM

At the end of the day, whoever called for a decision was passionate for it and that’s what really matters.

Passion does not guarantee quality, and quality is ultimately all that matters.

To make a movie analogy: Uwe Boll is so insanely passionate about film and film making that his passion approaches Martin Scorsese and Quentin Tarantino levels, but he lacks their talent, so he ends up making one crap movie after another.
I would very much like to sit down and discuss films with him, but I would NOT like to sit down and actually watch anything he’s made.
Passion alone only goes so far…

tomimt - 17 October 2014 03:52 AM

People really don’t care that you, or anyone in your team, are enthustiastic adventure fans. In the end what people care is a product that looks like it was done by people who know what they’re doing.

We could talk a lot about how it is unfair, as I know it is. But at the same time people have done far better games than you’ve done with much smaller budgets mainly because they’ve had the right people doing the right things. That also counts for a lot.

^ This.

Passion is good as it keeps you going, but to actually make your vision work, you need skill, and you need to match your ambition to your budget.

Bogi - 17 October 2014 05:26 AM

Sometimes nothing is much better than something. I’m not sure how this “developers vs. players” war is good for the community, but I’m amazed how someone can be so blinded not to see that making bad games only hurts the genre.
And the idea that people should rally behind such a wreck (I’m sorry but it is what it is) like Moebius is setting new standards for living in illusion.

^ This.

Lambonius - 17 October 2014 05:03 AM

Are there really many recent adventure games that require a AAA budget to pull off?  I mean, in terms of realizing a concept?  I honestly can’t think of any where I have ever been like, “Because of this game’s lack of budget, it is an abject failure at what it tried to do.”  Sure there are things that could have better given larger budgets, but full-on failures?  All of these games have been very playable, even the flawed ones.

But why should we settle for merely “playable”? Is it wrong to want “actually good” instead???

Drusain - 17 October 2014 01:11 PM

I feel should clarify a little bit about the topic highlighting here. The first time you talk to Grace, you get a tutorial message saying “most” highlighted topics are required to complete the game. In Day1, in Grace’s subtopic list, we highlight Voodoo because that triggers the Voodoo Museum/Shop, and we highlight Messages because that triggers the Police Station, among other things. But clicking those topics are not “puzzles.” You could just as easily click-spam all of the subtopics until you exhaust all of them and something finally unlocks.

I consciously wrote “most” when writing the tutorial because not all required topics are highlighted. Specifically, topics related to puzzles are NOT highlighted. If you only click topics that are highlighted, you won’t get very far in Day2 because the two major puzzles you need to do in Mosely’s Office are not highlighted. We don’t provide puzzle spoilers in that way.

Wait, so the highlighting is there to “mostly” help? Based on that description it’s not helpful at all as you still don’t know for sure which dialogue options to try and which not (so you kinda still need to try all of them).
Wouldn’t it have been better just to gray out all the options you’ve exhausted (so clicking them would only repeat things you’ve heard before), and leave the rest untouched??? That would mean that new topics and topics that provide new responses are the only ones that are highlighted…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 14

Joined 2006-08-27

PM

Can some admin *please* help me to unsubscribe to this thread! I did that about 10 times but I keep getting mails and I SO want to get out of here.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top