• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game are you playing right now?

Total Posts: 5838

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Jdawg445 - 21 January 2024 09:09 AM

date=“1705845432”]Once again your playing semantics, but okay your “impressions” or reviews or whatever, they all mean the same thing, aka you give an opinion about a game. it was the way you wrote your “impressions.”  most of them went like this; and if I have to go dig them up, I will but please don’t make me. some variation of well since it’s a small team and they don’t have big budgets the graphics/animations and the voice acting while not great were at an acceptable level. I call that grading on a curve but since you don’t want to call your “impressions” reviews either, I’m sure you have another word for it.

Go dig everything up if you have to, bore the pants off every reader of the thread to prove what exactly?

Btw ……I never expected you to keep your mouth shut about anything & especially about stuff you know nothing about……

Total Posts: 1656

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Karlok - 21 January 2024 09:06 AM
Jdawg445 - 21 January 2024 08:24 AM

To karlok, the reason I posted that topic in The Wolf Among Us from game informer is because it was a article written backing up everything I said.

snippety snip…

So I will ask yall the question again!!! does any of your choices in The Wolf Among Us affect the outcome of the game in any truly meaningful way or is the story the story?

And I will gave you the same answer that you totally ignored in the CPT thread: Yes. 

For example in The Walking dead many different characters will die in that game no matter what, can any player choice affect those chatacters staying alive???

I haven’t played The Walking Dead and I don’t want to spoil anything for people who are playing TWAU, so I’ll use spoiler tags for an example from another game: Tex Murphy Pnadora Directive and I really don’t care if it spoils Tex for you. Tex has a fight with his girlfriend and gets drunk. The result is that he is too late for an interview with a witness and she gets killed. If Tex doesn’t get drunk etc. he is in time to save her life. Does that player’s choice qualify as meaningful in your opinion? If the answer is yes, then you should admit you’re wrong about TWAU. But I fully expect you to say no. Whatever your response, I’m done here.

that’s fine but just know I posted an interview with a Telltale developer that backed up everything I said about how they are designed and implemented. To your example of tex, I don’t know I will have to play that game, I’ve never been into those games, like some people have.

But I will give my own example in a franchise that I love. In wing commander 3 you can choose to romance two different female characters, either Rachel or a pilot name flint, but no matter what your choice, the decision does not matter. because in wing Commander 4 both characters were written out of the story and never mentioned at all, not even a throwaway line of dialogue that it didn’t work out between the characters. so no in my example I would argue that choice in the long run did not matter because by the next game it is like it never happened to begin with.

Here are the two paths just for fun

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

chrissie - 21 January 2024 09:26 AM
Jdawg445 - 21 January 2024 09:09 AM

date=“1705845432”]Once again your playing semantics, but okay your “impressions” or reviews or whatever, they all mean the same thing, aka you give an opinion about a game. it was the way you wrote your “impressions.”  most of them went like this; and if I have to go dig them up, I will but please don’t make me. some variation of well since it’s a small team and they don’t have big budgets the graphics/animations and the voice acting while not great were at an acceptable level. I call that grading on a curve but since you don’t want to call your “impressions” reviews either, I’m sure you have another word for it.

Go dig everything up if you have to, bore the pants off every reader of the thread to prove what exactly?

Btw ……I never expected you to keep your mouth shut about anything & especially about stuff you know nothing about……

Obviously I was right as the article and the developer who made different seasons of different telltale games pointed out, but okay Chrissie glad you don’t dispute anything I said about you grading on a curve. just ignore me and I’ll go back to ignoring you and your wishy washy takes like I have for 2 years.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I already told you that I don’t grade on a curve so yes I do dispute that. You obviously haven’t ignored my wishy washy takes as how would you know that they’re wishy washy?

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Jdawg445 - 21 January 2024 09:27 AM

To your example of tex, I don’t know I will have to play that game, I’ve never been into those games, like some people have.

What the f…!

YOU are the one complaining about the Walking Dead where apparently there are no life and death choices. I give you an example from another game that many if not most people would consider a choice with consequences but all of a sudden you refuse to answer my very simple yes or no question. You said you wanted a constructive discussion. HA!

Here’s my response to anything you will have to say about this or any other subject:

I have my limit for bullshit and I think we reached it 10 minutes ago.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 127

Joined 2023-10-03

PM

In general, I don’t think there has ever been any limit to bullshit, once one has taken it, it spreads on, until it’s grown on him

A1

Total Posts: 683

Joined 2010-02-05

PM

GateKeeper - 21 January 2024 04:50 AM

But whatever people think about Telltale, at least they were releasing new games more than any other adventure developer at the time. When they stopped, and then also Daedalic stopped releasing adventure games, it certainly had an effect on the whole genre.

To clarify I didn’t start with Jurassic Park because it didn’t garner the response of TWD.

I might be in the minority, but I stopped getting the Telltale games after they changed the “formula” (genre). So them creating more games at the time had zero impact on me, and I’d argue it had very little impact on the overall adventure genre. They were mainstream, but hardly adventure games and I doubt that it drew many, if any, into the actual adventure genre.

To say it had an effect on the genre needs some clarification too. I consider Back to the Future to be an adventure lite. But Jurassic Park onwords wouldn’t count as adventure. And if it must be stuffed into the genre it would have to be it’s own sub-genre. In my view Telltale abandoned adventures for QTE games and there was more of an impact when they gave up on adventures than when they closed down.

Since I’m going against the grain, many here like the Daedalic games, but again I have to disagree. I found them tedious and in the case of Deponia not funny at all. To be fair I’ve only played The Whispered World and Deponia. But they were convincing enough for me to not bother with any of their other titles.

The clear banner holder of adventure games is indie games, they have kept the genre going for a long time now. You get a Syberia or Monkey Island every now and then, but there are hundreds of indie games every year. It was no different when Telltale went under (2018).

I’m not here to argue, these are my thoughts on the subject, take it or leave it.

I Am the Knight of the Order of the Sun!

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

SpeedBo - 21 January 2024 10:48 AM

To say it had an effect on the genre needs some clarification too. I consider Back to the Future to be an adventure lite. But Jurassic Park onwords wouldn’t count as adventure.

Jurassic Park had its moments.
For instance, the translation puzzle is one of the most memorable puzzles in the relatively recent (adventure) games. There were some fun QTE moments too, although they used it a bit too much. I actually went for gold rating in all QTEs, but there was no real rewarding feeling for it, just some stupid medals in the game menu.

The clear banner holder of adventure games is indie games, they have kept the genre going for a long time now. You get a Syberia or Monkey Island every now and then, but there are hundreds of indie games every year. It was no different when Telltale went under (2018).

Indeed, the best games these days seem to be indie games, and there are plenty of those. And much of the great stuff is actually freeware.
For instance, Clotilde Soffritti was a 100% positive surprise find for me.
Sidekick High is another relatively recent great freeware game that shows how fun a one room (or two room, depending on how you count) game can be.

The difference is that although all of that would exist without companies like Telltale and Daedalic, we don’t get the other end of the whole thing without them, which is professionally produced adventure games by companies who are dedicated to that.

If you don’t like their games, or even count them as adventures, then you are lucky enough that there’s no loss there for you. I personally would prefer them being around.
And even with some obvious problems, Telltale’s treatment of the subject matter is still quite adventurous. Their Jurassic Park game is very different from all the other Jurassic Park games, and their Batman game is very different from all the other Batman games, with the obvious exception of the often forgotten Batman Returns from 1992.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

chrissie - 21 January 2024 09:42 AM

I already told you that I don’t grade on a curve so yes I do dispute that. You obviously haven’t ignored my wishy washy takes as how would you know that they’re wishy washy?

Bc i dont and here is the keyword…. anymore. the first few times you posted your “impressions” i was like hmmm, and looked at what was said by you and I even played some of them you liked. But a pattern appeared of a curve to me and I told you what I thought back then and basically i have never interacted with you since, in 2 yrs. minus once or twice. Because of your said bias that i see. I felt like your impressions cannot be trusted. I would never trust a recommendation from you on a game now. I’m not actually even trying to be harsh. the only reason I brought you up yesterday is to prove a point to karlok, and that pt is I don’t care if this other poster is 15 or 30, I treat everybody the same. if I think there’s an agenda, I call it out, it would be patronizing to do anything but that, even if he might be a teenager.

Like I said I have no problem going back to ignoring each other for the next decade or so. Have a wonderful day.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

Karlok - 21 January 2024 09:44 AM
Jdawg445 - 21 January 2024 09:27 AM

To your example of tex, I don’t know I will have to play that game, I’ve never been into those games, like some people have.

What the f…!

YOU are the one complaining about the Walking Dead where apparently there are no life and death choices. I give you an example from another game that many if not most people would consider a choice with consequences but all of a sudden you refuse to answer my very simple yes or no question. You said you wanted a constructive discussion. HA!

Here’s my response to anything you will have to say about this or any other subject:

I have my limit for bullshit and I think we reached it 10 minutes ago.

I’m more than ok with that because once again you’re reading comprehension is so low. Once again you’re trying to straw man me into accepting an example of a game that I know nothing about. I played all of Walking Dead season 1 and played the first two episodes of The Wolf Among Us to form an opinion. I never played that tex game. so all I could do was give you an example from a franchise that I did play that I would assume was similar to your example. (once again reading comprehension is essential.) If that’s not good enough for you I don’t care, go move on with your life and playthrough. Adios.

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

But whatever people think about Telltale, at least they were releasing new games more than any other adventure developer at the time. When they stopped, and then also Daedalic stopped releasing adventure games, it certainly had an effect on the whole genre.

To clarify I didn’t start with Jurassic Park because it didn’t garner the response of TWD.

I might be in the minority, but I stopped getting the Telltale games after they changed the “formula” (genre). So them creating more games at the time had zero impact on me, and I’d argue it had very little impact on the overall adventure genre. They were mainstream, but hardly adventure games and I doubt that it drew many, if any, into the actual adventure genre.

To say it had an effect on the genre needs some clarification too. I consider Back to the Future to be an adventure lite. But Jurassic Park onwords wouldn’t count as adventure. And if it must be stuffed into the genre it would have to be it’s own sub-genre. In my view Telltale abandoned adventures for QTE games and there was more of an impact when they gave up on adventures than when they closed down.

Since I’m going against the grain, many here like the Daedalic games, but again I have to disagree. I found them tedious and in the case of Deponia not funny at all. To be fair I’ve only played The Whispered World and Deponia. But they were convincing enough for me to not bother with any of their other titles.

I’m not here to argue, these are my thoughts on the subject, take it or leave it.

that was my point to Diego,  Walking Dead Season 1 sold a ton of copies but overall it did not really leave a lasting impact on any genre including adventure games, other than the fact that it might have made them even more casual.

from the interview I posted from the dev. It seems Telltale would have been far more advantageous to slow the roll after walking dead 1 and concentrate on one or two titles and make them a complete game. Instead of pumping out so many generic titles, like they were a yearly entry into an EA or Ubisoft franchise.

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Jdawg445 - 21 January 2024 03:09 PM

that was my point to Diego,  Walking Dead Season 1 sold a ton of copies but overall it did not really leave a lasting impact on any genre including adventure games, other than the fact that it might have made them even more casual.

I definitely share your frustration about choices not mattering enough in Telltale games, but I don’t know about there not being lasting impact.

Since the 2010s I’ve noticed choices becoming a feature (central or not) of most adventure games, whether dialogue or branching events or endings. It’s become rare now for games to have a single ending, and even rarer for games to have no choice & consequence. Before, you’d usually get branching dialogues in an adventure game but not much more than that, and these dialogue choices never influenced anything beyond leading directly to different dialogue options.

Whether The Walking Dead had more influence than games like Heavy Rain or Life is Strange is debatable, but it likely had some impact.

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I definitely share your frustration about choices not mattering enough in Telltale games…

I guess quite a few posters agree about the TellTale choices. So I’d really like to know what those posters would consider choices that genuinely make a difference. Anybody willing to give one or more examples of games that have better choices in your opinion? Just a hypothetical situation would be fine as well. Do you want 2 or 3 totally different stories/plots from the start? Are subtle changes in the communication between characters uninteresting? Why is the choice between life and death not important?

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Karlok - 21 January 2024 08:06 PM

I definitely share your frustration about choices not mattering enough in Telltale games…

I guess quite a few posters agree about the TellTale choices. So I’d really like to know what those posters would consider choices that genuinely make a difference. Anybody willing to give one or more examples of games that have better choices in your opinion?  Just a hypothetical situation would be fine as well. Do you want 2 or 3 totally different stories/plots from the start?

I can give a hypothetical example. Here’s a chart of what I expected from these games, with each branch representing the path each choice leads you to:

Now here is a chart from The Walking Dead. It’s apparent the choices you make do lead to consequences like someone dying, however with the exception of the final ending (a single binary choice), these choices always come back around to the same scenario.

For example: whether you save Carley or Doug in Episode 1, you essentially end up at the same place making the same choice, with minor alterations in the red and blue paths like the presence or absence of certain characters who can affect the particular way an event happens. Otherwise, the paths more or less mirror each other.

What I’d like to see, and what I expected when I first played one of these games, is something along the lines of Choose Your Own Adventure novels. Where choices don’t come back around on themselves and instead lead to different places, characters, scenarios, and in turn, lead to unique subsequent scenarios and choices.

Here’s one I found from the “Cave of Time” CYOA novel:

Are subtle changes in the communication between characters uninteresting? Why is the choice between life and death not important?

Both are important. But when they end up taking you back to the same scenario making the same decision you would have made had you chose differently, their impact is minimized.

AKA Charo

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top