• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445Keybordz

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

What game are you playing right now?

Total Posts: 88

Joined 2023-04-17

PM

@GateKeeper
You can also play a number of AGS Windows games via ScummVM. Why going through the trouble to support Sierra? Their games are less interesting than those from Legend, to me. DOSbox is the last option. Dunno what you guys are doing, but I’m playing adventures - take a look at the thread. I’m not waiting this much.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

jsfx - 20 January 2024 12:46 PM

@GateKeeper
You can also play a number of AGS Windows games via ScummVM.

Yes, thousands actually.
I did my very small part in that by sending bug reports during testing, and game IDs for automatic detection, and played few games through so that they can be marked as completable.
My contribution to that was probably like 0.0000000000000000000000000000001 % if even that, but at least I did what I could.

I wouldn’t recommend running all AGS games with ScummVM though. Some games have very serious performance issues, although I think they tried to improve that during the last GSoC. Older and smaller games, like freeware from years ago, should run without any issues though.

Why going through the trouble to support Sierra? Their games are less interesting than those from Legend, to me.

You are certainly entitled to have that opinion, but many Sierra games are true classics that have even stood the test of time to some extent. For instance, Space Quest V: The Next Mutation can be compared to almost any science fiction parody game that has been released since, and in many cases SQV will be the winner of that comparison.

DOSbox is the last option. Dunno what you guys are doing, but I’m playing adventures - take a look at the thread. I’m not waiting this much.

DOSbox is far from the last option.
You could also make games run by installing a virtual machine and running it that way, but unless you have some very specific needs, DOSbox is probably much more convenient than virtual machines.
You can also run games by some very creative means, such as using OS/2 Warp or something for it, but again, I think DOSbox is probably a better option. Far from the last in any case.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

jsfx - 20 January 2024 11:54 AM

I like ScummVM, nice colors, easy to handle, it runs many games.

I also like Scumm and it’s certainly easier to handle than DOSbox, but the list of games compatible with DOXbox is much, much longer. Lucky me, I can also play older games on my ancient win98 computer. Most games (with some notable exceptions like Orion Burger and Hollywood Monsters) run smoothly without for instance the problems of running The Blackstone Chronicles under a modern windows version.

GateKeeper - 20 January 2024 12:06 PM

ScummVM is much better for many reasons: it requires less computer resources[...]

I’m a technical nitwit but I’d say that’s only a problem when people want to play DOS games on a mobile phone, which is a very bad idea to begin with.

it’s a much more useful tool for taking screenshots

I don’t see anything wrong with simply using the Print Screen key on my keyboard when playing a game with ancient pixels or blurry graphics.

But if it’s a question of waiting for ScummVM to run some game which it may never actually be able to run, or just take the game and run it with DOSbox, I see very few reasons not to run it with DOSbox.

There you go. Are you reading this, jsfx? Tongue

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 5838

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Hi jsfx, I just want to start off with saying that you mentioned in another thread somewhere that you were at school….so in your teens?

I think it’s great that you as a ‘rep’ of the younger generation are even here interested in the Adventure Game genre & I’m very interested in your perception of the whole scene

jsfx - 19 January 2024 02:33 PM

It seems like a list for old people with their preferences. Feel free to enjoy it, but it doesn’t reflect my understanding of what good adventures are at all.

I understand that is your opinion of the top 100 games list & agree with diego - you could have been more diplomatic.

But I would like to ask you what games would reflect your understanding of what good adventures are?
Also, it would be a tall order to ask you to present a list of 100 games that aren’t for ‘old people’ so perhaps you could start with a list of 20 - 30 please.

Total Posts: 88

Joined 2023-04-17

PM

Hmm. It would look different. I would need to think about this, but The Witness, The Dig, the best of Rusty Lakes adventures, Thimbleweed Park, Firewatch, The Cave, Deponia, Memoria, Inside, VR adventures like Shadow Point Floor Plan 2, I Expect You To Die 3, or new versions of older games like Myst VR would certainly replace adventures which look & feel dated. Gems like Maniac Mansion would still be in the list.

@Karlok
Most games I enjoy don’t need DOSbox. If there is an old gem I truly would like to play, and there would be no other option, then I would use it, but I have plenty of other games to play, things to do.

@GateKeeper
Then Thanks for your contributions. I also played Lorenzo’s adventures this way. Stranger in Utopia did not work, but ...

Where Did the Humans Go?

Clotilde Soffritti in: Never Double Park your Spaceship

Clotilde Soffritti in: Never Buy a Used Spaceship

worked just fine, all part a bigger Obscure Adventures - Space.

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Karlok - 20 January 2024 01:10 PM

I’m a technical nitwit but I’d say that’s only a problem when people want to play DOS games on a mobile phone, which is a very bad idea to begin with.

It’s a good idea, if you want to make your intercontinental flight to Asia a bit nicer. Yes, I speak from personal experience.

I don’t see anything wrong with simply using the Print Screen key on my keyboard when playing a game with ancient pixels or blurry graphics.

Well, that certainly takes a screenshot. Not in a very convenient way though.
Hitting the screenshot button in ScummVM takes an automatically named and numbered screenshot, so you can keep hitting that button, and screenshots just keep on coming.

With what you suggest it’s necessary to copy-paste from memory each and every time, and then crop the image, as Print Screen takes a snapshot of everything, not just the active window.

Obviously there are other ways to do that. For instance, Win+Alt+Print Screen takes an automatically saved and timestamped Game Bar screenshot. But compared to ScummVM, there is a notable delay between hitting the button and actually saving the screenshot. Also, it’s much more ergonomic to hit a single button instead of three-button combination.

And yes, there are much more options. FastStone Capture is a good thing to have. But even if you can assign whatever free buttons for hotkeys in that, ScummVM’s default button is more convenient. FastStone has its own advantages though. You can have it automatically name screenshots whatever way you like, for instance “TotallyStupidScreenshot” and have it start automatic numbering from 1234 or something. It’s still not as good as ScummVM’s internal thing. Why? FastStone captures the active window, but ScummVM captures the game inside the window. So if you want screenshots of the game, you need to crop FastStone’s screenshots by cropping. Of course, if what you want is a screenshot of the actual window, with the title and everything, then FastStone is better.

I suppose it’s all about what you want to have though.
For a single screenshot Print Screen works. But if you take over 2500 screenshots, like I took during my playthrough of Shenmue 2, you will spend a whole lot of time editing manually then…

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

GateKeeper - 20 January 2024 01:32 PM

It’s a good idea, if you want to make your intercontinental flight to Asia a bit nicer. Yes, I speak from personal experience.

[...]

For a single screenshot Print Screen works. But if you take over 2500 screenshots, like I took during my playthrough of Shenmue 2, you will spend a whole lot of time editing manually then…

2500! Really? No, I’m not asking why.
I lead such a simple life… I don’t fly and I don’t have any reason to take more than one or two screenshots. I just play.

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Karlok - 20 January 2024 01:40 PM
GateKeeper - 20 January 2024 01:32 PM

2500! Really? No, I’m not asking why.
I lead such a simple life… I don’t fly and I don’t have any reason to take more than one or two screenshots. I just play.

Well, I’m not going to tell, so then we’re both fine with that here.  Tongue

Anyway, generally speaking, you need more than one screenshot, if you attempt to make something like an animated gif. As it happens, I have previously made one from jsfx’s favourite game:

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

GateKeeper - 20 January 2024 01:54 PM

Anyway, generally speaking, you need more than one screenshot, if you attempt to make something like an animated gif. As it happens, I have previously made one from jsfx’s favourite game:

This is one of jfsx’s favorite games? Please tell me you’re joking.

I have no intention of ever making an animated gif, but if I had I would make one that people could actually read.

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Karlok - 20 January 2024 02:19 PM

This is one of jfsx’s favorite games? Please tell me you’re joking.

Clotilde Soffritti in: Never Buy a Used Spaceship, which was mentioned in an earlier post.
A great game. It only takes 15 minutes to finish it, so it’s not ideal for those who want to have something longer.

Karlok - 20 January 2024 02:19 PM

I have no intention of ever making an animated gif, but if I had I would make one that people could actually read.

I suppose you are referring to not being able to read the last speech bubble? Yeah, you may need to go through the animation a couple of times to read it.
I am aware of the problem, but the alternative would be to slow down the animation during the longer bubbles, and that would make the birds fly at uneven speeds.

The point of the animation is to give an animated example of the game graphics, not so much to read every word the characters say.

Here’s an example of a gif (from a different game, obviously) that is focused on what the character is saying, so the speed is slower.

Total Posts: 2072

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

jsfx, ScummVM is a fan project. The reason for supporting Sierra games and not Legend games is simple: Sierra has more fans who are eager to go to all the trouble of porting them. In addition, tons of fan sequels, remakes and tributes to Sierra were released during the last 20+ years. Heck, even AGS started as a free engine that simulated Sierra adventures. That’s why their games are all over the place — people love them! You don’t, that’s fine, but many other people think their are timeless classics.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

The guy manages to bash Gabriel Knight, all Sierra games and DOSBox (the most brilliant piece of software ever produced) all in one thread - flawless victory!

chrissie - 20 January 2024 01:26 PM

I think it’s great that you as a ‘rep’ of the younger generation

He’s not a teen, he’s just trolling.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1659

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

diego - 20 January 2024 04:26 PM

The guy manages to bash Gabriel Knight, all Sierra games and DOSBox (the most brilliant piece of software ever produced) all in one thread - flawless victory!

chrissie - 20 January 2024 01:26 PM

I think it’s great that you as a ‘rep’ of the younger generation

He’s not a teen, he’s just trolling.

I Agree a troll or a 12 yr old with 0 patience or life lessons.

Total Posts: 1659

Joined 2015-07-01

PM

diego - 20 January 2024 12:41 PM
Jdawg445 - 19 January 2024 10:17 AM

after The Walking Dead, the formula quickly lost its appeal and each game sold less copies than the one previously, which is why they went out of business.

I agree with majority of what you said about “impact”, but this part is not entirely true. From Wikipedia: “the game sold one million copies in 20 days, 18 exceeded 8.5 million episode purchases by 2013, and an estimated $40 million in revenue”. Telltale’s downfall really started after that, with Game of Thrones and Batman, huge licensed properties and quick rise of a company in terms of employees i.e. huge payroll without revenue on the market, which lead to Dan Connors to leave the company.

Jdawg445 - 19 January 2024 10:17 AM

So how much impact did the game have on the gaming landscape itself, I would argue not much at all especially for the adventure game genre, the only thing it did was move us more into the walking simulator category

The Walking Dead “impact” I mentioned is that “adventure genre” has been in the spotlight of mainstream gaming portals and magazines for the first time since 90s. Which is both good, and bad (since it was expected for many companies to copy the format with “less” true gameplay) but I always believed that “variety” is good for the future of the genre. Interactive movies started spawning in mid 90s and perhaps someone thought that it will kill the genre, but we still had some of the best adventure games after that initial crazy FMV period. So, one thing “walking simulators” gave us is - beautiful graphics for example, with games like Ethan Carter. When sub-genre raises the bar in graphics department, other sub-genres are bound to follow it.

To the first part, yes, the game sold a lot of copies but even the seasons of the walking dead that followed lost money, like I said every game after The Walking Dead Season 1 lost money, even The Wolf Among Us lost money im pretty sure. The high priced licenses that followed just exacerbated the issues.

Id still argue that the impact of The Walking Dead was overall a flash in the pan bc the adventure game genre didn’t sustain the popularity all that much or gain all that many new fans. most new fans The Walking Dead created thought all adventure games were exactly like The Walking Dead which I think created a bigger issue. look at what’s going on in this thread alone… if this poster is really a kid, he is bashing sierra, Gabriel knight and dosbox. bc of the casualization that The Walking Dead popularized, it has hurt the genre itself, because I believe devs took the path of least resistance.

For the record I like genres Crossing into each other, as long as the primary genre is not hurt by it. I feel like the casualization of adventure games ie, visual novels and walking simulators, it has greatly reduced the meaning of what an adventure game is properly known for aka gameplay and story. Another example in video games that this has influenced in not a positive way is rpgs, now most games are no longer RPGs but action adventure games masquerading as RPGs. Just because they have a couple of stat lines and elements in them does not make an rpg. For example Mass Effect 1 was an RPG with light action elements, by the time we got to Mass Effect 3 it was a third person action adventure game with barely any rpg elements left in. I feel like the same thing is happening in the adventure game genre and I believe The Walking Dead and Telltale was the canary in the coal mine. So that’s why my disdain for this title is so strong. It has nothing to do with the story, because like I said I think the story is actually pretty great but the complete lack of gameplay and the normalization of this in the adventure game genre, is something I feel passionate about, because while I love a lot of genres in the video game field. adventure games will always be the first in my heart, so when I see a company like Telltale bastardize them I’m always going to speak out.

Total Posts: 683

Joined 2010-02-05

PM

To interject into the Walking Dead conversation. I believe the games fallowing the 1st season didn’t sell well because most people just watched their favorite streamer play it instead of doing so themselves.

Also I noticed that many of the fans of The Walking Dead and newer games never heard of or played prior Telltale games. So it would make sense that it had little impact on the overall success of the adventure genre aside from possibly watering it down to some extent.

I Am the Knight of the Order of the Sun!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top